• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question About 4Kids TV Dropping One Piece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
Since 4Kids TV finally dropped One Piece due to terrible ratings (I wonder why) does anyone think they'll get rid of the license so another company, like FUNimation can pick up the series and RELEASE IT THE RIGHT WAY? Knowing those 4Kids bastards, they'll probably keep the license until it runs out. I hope they drop the license.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
Well, with Viz being able to release the dub on DVD as of now, I have no doubts that an uncut version will be available, but it's unlikely. Although the Toei Animation in America seems to be gone, 4kids probably still has the rights to dub the entire series. Cool

On another note, we should also ask ourselves "will Mew Mew Power be released on DVD?"
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Since 4Kids TV finally dropped One Piece due to terrible ratings (I wonder why) does anyone think they'll get rid of the license so another company, like FUNimation can pick up the series and RELEASE IT THE RIGHT WAY? Knowing those 4Kids bastards, they'll probably keep the license until it runs out. I hope they drop the license.

I believe that One Piece is still on Cartoon Network....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

I believe that One Piece is still on Cartoon Network....
Which I think is a good thing. My kids still watch One Piece every Saturday morning and they're going to be disappointed by the fact that it's gone, and it's a shame that they go to bed when it's on Toonami. Wink
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY hate that program...

I live in Britain so my choice of anime on TV is very limited, and with shows as bad as this its no wonder, maybe the original script is better but the current one is awful and the voice actors...oh the voice actors...if I have to hear the Loofie laugh again I will kill myself.

also I always wondered, were pirates in Japan considered some kind of heroes or something? And were they often willing to follow a so called 'King'?

is there any reason for the crew to be so suprised when pirates do bad things?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's not really a good show even with the original script and unedited. The edit is just awful but the original isn't exactly great either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ani-date

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
It's not really a good show even with the original script and unedited. The edit is just awful but the original isn't exactly great either.

4kids could allow the license to expire, or even sell or lease the rights to another company, Cartoon Network might pull the series and then begin airing two different versions 1 uncut on adult swim and 1 to replace the current 4kids dubbed version.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

The original is pretty good. The first 20 episodes or so are kind of mediocre but after Sanji comes in it's a very entertaining show, especially with the Arlong arc. On the scale of action shonens I'd say it's a lot better than DBZ and Inu-Yasha and more or less tied with Naruto but it's not quite as good as Yuyu Hakusho and nowhere near as good as FMA. And honestly, even if the show was bad originally there is NO way to justify the 4Kids treatment on ANY show.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Wow, that so has relevance to this discussion <_<

What annoys me the most is that 4Kids is probably going to say "Oh, the dub wasn't successful so by default nothing related to it can be as well! NO UNCUTS FOR YOU" if the edited DVDs fail, if they succeed they won't think it's worth it to put out uncuts and just keep crapping edits out.

They think uncut DVDs can't succeed but really all it'd take is one reasonably priced set to break the ice. It's so simple yet... UGH.

AnnieJr. wrote:
On another note, we should also ask ourselves "will Mew Mew Power be released on DVD?"

Five bucks on never.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The only thing 4Kids has done right is the new Ninja Turtles cartoon. Mostly because Al Kahn or whoever got Peter Laird involved with the project thus making it more faithful to the original comic. Too bad these people at 4Kids won't apply such ideas to uncut DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ginnogosa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
i think one peice was kinda stupic it was the worst show I've ever seen
Jrich572

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
delete

Last edited by Jrich572 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
ginnogosa wrote:

Any reason why? I mean, I can understand if you don't like a show, but what you're saying doesn't really have anything to do with the topic and on top of that you don't even give a reason as to why you don't like it, which in a way, takes away the validity of your comment.

Anyway, back on topic with the post...

I agree with ParaParaJMo, TMNT is by far the best property 4kids has right now (I'm currently debating on whether I should pick up the DVDs or not) with the One Piece thing, while I doubt that 4kids will pass on the licence or release unedited One Piece, the only thing we can really do is wait for the licence to expire and then wait for a company like Funi to pick it up and give it a more faithful adaption, if the series has the popularity to warrant that in the future...

Btw, does anyone know off hand how long OP is liecened for? Or if 4kids has the entire series licenced? And what about the movies, specials, and OVA?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
It's (the TV series only, no comment on movies or other animation) on a contract until 2009.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
ginnogosa wrote:

Didn't you say that in your other topic?

On a better or worse note, if 4K doesn't air new episodes at all, than happy day. but, if they don't, they might not even release A DVD, let alone an uncut one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2