• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legend of the Condor Hero

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather interested in this series. However, only the Chinese and English languages are included in the US DVD release, and the Japanese dub can only be obtained from the Japanese DVDs.
The Japanese dub has several seiyuu that I like, including Honda Chieko and Takano Urara.
The silly thing is why not include the Japanese track as well as the English in the US DVDs? Since the anime was indeed created and first dubbed in Japanese in the first place, it should be included.

I know the license was obtained by Tai Seng, and they put in a Chinese and Cantonese recording, but still even though the series is based on the original chinese novel, it should retain the Japanese dub, unless one doesn't exist.

If anyone has the region 1 DVD of "Condor Hero", can they tell me what people are cast in the anime? What cantonese people are cast in the series? And what recording studio and English cast were used in the English version?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
It's like the Robotech DVDs by ADV only have the English dub and no Japanese track on them. It's a personal preference of theirs I guess or a copyright issue, and it is their first ever (and as far as I know only) anime series so far. They're used to putting out Hong Kong movies, all the time, hopefully they'll get it right next time. I'm actually more concerned with the chapter stops on the DVDs, rather than the lack of a Japanese track, as you can't skip the intro, you have to fast forward through it. They need a little work, yes, but the show itself is great so far. If I have some spare time to take some screenshots, I'll see what I can do about getting you that info on the casts.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, crap. Just my luck they didn't bother to translate any of the credits either, they are all in Japanese. Maybe you can find the info you're looking for on their website.

This thread reminds me of how good the show is. I really need to finish it. I watched most of it subed in my anime club last year but I missed the last few episodes because I had to work. I've been slowly collecting it on DVD but I only have the first two volumes so far.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh that's just great. I've actualy looked quite deep on the internet already, from IMDB to rigorous Google searches. The Tai Seng website didn't help at all.

You've watched part of the English version, yes? Do you recognise any of the voices? Can you hear any people from the ADV or Animaze/Bang Zoom! studios?

And you said that the credits are all in Japanese. No doubt it's all kanji then, and the credits of the cast are the Mandarin/Cantonese people.

Thanks for your time though. I really appreciate it. Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
Oh that's just great. I've actualy looked quite deep on the internet already, from IMDB to rigorous Google searches. The Tai Seng website didn't help at all.

You've watched part of the English version, yes? Do you recognise any of the voices? Can you hear any people from the ADV or Animaze/Bang Zoom! studios?

And you said that the credits are all in Japanese. No doubt it's all kanji then, and the credits of the cast are the Mandarin/Cantonese people.

Thanks for your time though. I really appreciate it. Smile

Yeah, I looked into the site after I posted it, as well. It's basically a glamorized sales website for their products. Sad

It sounds to me like Tai Seng has their own dubbing studios as I don't recognize any of the VAs. They speak with Chinese accented English so I'm guessing they're from Hong Kong. As far as the text goes I believe it's Japanese although it could be Chinese as well as I don't really know the difference but know they're both symbolic in nature. Here's a screenshot.

I ordered a few more volumes of the show yesterday, and wouldn't you know just after I started collecting the series in single volumes they're comming out with a boxset in a few months. Mad
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
As far as the text goes I believe it's Japanese although it could be Chinese as well as I don't really know the difference but know they're both symbolic in nature. Here's a screenshot.
[screenshot]

It's Japanese.

Episode Director and Storyboard: Masami Anno
Animation Director: Noboru Sugimitsu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
They speak with Chinese accented English so I'm guessing they're from Hong Kong.

Oh dear god. Hong Kong English! Ah!!! Oh dear, I've watched several series in cantonese, and they use the same 4 or 5 voices all the time. I understand cantonese but don't like watching anime with their dubs.
E.g. Chibi Maruko Chan & Cooking Master Boy, plus other hundreds of anime dubbed in Cantonese: all use the same 4 people.

I was thinking of watching Condor Hero in English dub, but since that it's HK English... oh dear, oh dear. Confused

Hm... perhaps mandarin.

Kruszer wrote:
I ordered a few more volumes of the show yesterday, and wouldn't you know just after I started collecting the series in single volumes they're comming out with a boxset in a few months.

Heheh! Yeah that always happens. The second season is airing, so probably better if you wait for that to go on boxset too before ordering. Hehe.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
A new season? That's cool, though I hope that doesn't mean they didn't resolve things in the first 26 episode season like the romance for example. I haven't read anything about it here though, any indication of what it's going to be about?

We seem to be the only two people here watching it though that's kind of sad. There's also a live action version of the series which I may have to check out at some point.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes, there is a second season, which I believe is or had aired in Japan. I haven't a clue of what it's about. Due to the licensing, it is not made public from the fansubbers.

The live series will be something appealing, as it stars Japanese actors, they will be like some rival to the Chinese series of Condor Hero. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1