• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
sword and sorcery

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo-111

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
what are some good sword and scorcery animes like escaflone and such. good and viliont ones with good stories
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Another user was asking for fantasy anime just like this a few weeks ago. Check out the thread for starters. If you want, you can revive it or ask any questions you might have in your current thread. Good luck.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, you can do what tony suggested but I'll give you one recommendation. I haven't seen the show myself but heard it was good and that is Record of the Lodess war (not sure if I spelled it right). But I know it has magic and plenty of swords in it. As well it has elves from the pictures I've seen and has a past look to it with horses but also dragons. I'd say you should look into it seems to be very interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Record of the Lodess war

Record of Lodoss War. It's somewhat of a vintage title considering it came out in the early 90s, but it's easily one of my favorite fantasy anime.

I've not seen Lord of the Rings, nor have I read the books, but a lot of people say Lodoss is as close to Tolkien as you can get; dragons looked upon as deities, an elf damsel, a stern dwarf, a couple of mages, a cool looking villain, a fight between the leaders of the previous generations, and of course, one single item that has the power to control the world and then some.

The animation is a bit choppy, but the artwork in general is spectacular. In fact, I'd say it's even better than a lot of today's shows. The soundtrack is great too, giving the entire series that epic feudal atmosphere with lots of orchestral pieces.

The dubbing isn't so great considering it was one of those mid 90s dubs when anime wasn't given that much effort yet. I would hope you at least watch it in Japanese the first time through, as you can't really go wrong with the solid performances.

It's a great series, and I just don't want to take the chance if the dubbing happens to turn you away from a classic like Lodoss.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
remember love wrote:
Record of the Lodess war

Record of Lodoss War. It's somewhat of a vintage title considering it came out in the early 90s, but it's easily one of my favorite fantasy anime.

I've not seen Lord of the Rings, nor have I read the books, but a lot of people say Lodoss is as close to Tolkien as you can get; dragons looked upon as deities, an elf damsel, a stern dwarf, a couple of mages, a cool looking villain, a fight between the leaders of the previous generations, and of course, one single item that has the power to control the world and then some.

The animation is a bit choppy, but the artwork in general is spectacular. In fact, I'd say it's even better than a lot of today's shows. The soundtrack is great too, giving the entire series that epic feudal atmosphere with lots of orchestral pieces.

The dubbing isn't so great considering it was one of those mid 90s dubs when anime wasn't given that much effort yet. I would hope you at least watch it in Japanese the first time through, as you can't really go wrong with the solid performances.

It's a great series, and I just don't want to take the chance if the dubbing happens to turn you away from a classic like Lodoss.

Lodoss, sorry for the misspelling..Well, I'm a dubb fan myself but I'm not to pickey if teh dubbing stinks. For example, I like the movie X/1999, but the dubbing is the worst I ever seen most of the movie actually stinks except the artwork which I love. I even rated X a 36/100 I believe in one of my reviews because of all the down points it has but I still like the movie none the less for some odd reason. But hey I'm a crazy guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
I like the movie X/1999

Then you really need to see the TV series. I never saw the movie because I heard nothing but bad reviews. However, I've heard from a lot of people that have seen both, that the series is infinitely better.

From my personal experience, it has a lot of things going for it. The animation is probably it's second strongest element next to the story/character development. I would say it's better than some movies or OAVs.

The music is a bit repetitive in that they repeat the main melody over and over again, but it's dead on for every scene they play it at.

The dubbing is actually quite good. I especially like how they casted Sorata, who having an Osaka accent in Japanese, is completely absent of the stereotypical U.S southern accent in the dub. In fact, I'd say all the characters were very well casted, with Sorata being the best because they ignored the dialect transition thing.

All in all, if you want a supernatural fantasy set in modern times and with a major amount of melodrama, this is something worth checking out. It is currently my number three TV series of all time (though that might change when I finish Monster).
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
remember love wrote:
I like the movie X/1999

Then you really need to see the TV series. I never saw the movie because I heard nothing but bad reviews. However, I've heard from a lot of people that have seen both, that the series is infinitely better.

From my personal experience, it has a lot of things going for it. The animation is probably it's second strongest element next to the story/character development. I would say it's better than some movies or OAVs.

The music is a bit repetitive in that they repeat the main melody over and over again, but it's dead on for every scene they play it at.

The dubbing is actually quite good. I especially like how they casted Sorata, who having an Osaka accent in Japanese, is completely absent of the stereotypical U.S southern accent in the dub. In fact, I'd say all the characters were very well casted, with Sorata being the best because they ignored the dialect transition thing.

All in all, if you want a supernatural fantasy set in modern times and with a major amount of melodrama, this is something worth checking out. It is currently my number three TV series of all time (though that might change when I finish Monster).

I've read of the show and plan on getting it as soon as I get set-up after training with the military and where I'll have a steady flow of money coming in and of course after I get a car and insurance... This I will also be doing right after basic I don't have a job right now and was planning to leave for military right after highschool but they had to keep me on a waiting list till december. Now, Im goign to miss christmas with my family but oh well at least I'll finally be out of my parents house and get to tease my older brother who will still be living there lol.

But anyways....X is on my diffenetly going to get list...along with quite a few anime.
Number Six

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

While seconding your recommendation for RoLW, I'd caution people about expecting to see something resembling Lord of the Rings. Yes, there are many typical sword and sorcery elements in both, but its not a one for one match. For instance, dragons in Tolkien's world are not looked upon as deities and in point of fact, there are no dragons in LoTR. The themes and overall feel are very different between RoLW and LoTR. They are not the same. Not even close. Again, not to say that RoLW is bad, its not, its quite good in fact. But its no Lord of the Rings either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1