• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Regarding the history of usage of the word "anime"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
When did America first find that when "Astro Boy" first aired here, it was called anime? In other words, when were we told that the Japanese animation we saw in the 60s was called anime?
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, according to wikipedia, in the 80's and earlier the term most often used for Japanese animation was "japanimation", a term that people now tend to look down on. using the term "anime" to describe Japanese animation started to become the standard in the early 90's. so, to answer your confusingly-worded question, we were probably told it was Japanimation.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
What I find funny is that apparently now the Japanese refer to their own animation as Japanimation to differentiate it from the animation from around the world. To the Japanese, ALL animation around the world is called anime.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
To the Japanese, ALL animation around the world is called anime.

yep, and it comes from the french "dessin animé," I believe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:

Debatable. The arguably more plausible theory is that it came from Japan's Romanisation of the word "animation" ("a-ni-me-shu-n"), which was then shortened as the Japanese like to do with long titles and foreign terms (which can be seen with anime titles, even: Fruits Basket = Furuba, Scrapped Princess = Sutepri, etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
totalgeek wrote:

Very debatable, since the word "Dessin Anime" or "pictures in motion" refers to comics, while "anime" in the French context means "in motion."

Also, it seems less likely that the Japanese would pick up a French word, when an English word seems more plausible; particularly considering the level of interaction between Japan and French-speaking countries, and Japan and English-speaking countries.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:
BoygetsfireD wrote:
totalgeek wrote:

Very debatable, since the word "Dessin Anime" or "pictures in motion" refers to comics, while "anime" in the French context means "in motion."

Uhh... no, the French term for printed comic books is "bande desinée" (or "BD"), with animated cartoons being "dessins animés".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:51 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Coffeeman wrote:
BoygetsfireD wrote:
totalgeek wrote:

Uhh... no, the French term for printed comic books is "bande desinée" (or "BD"), with animated cartoons being "dessins animés".

Darn, I knew I forgot somethign after I dropped French...

But the rest of my argument stands; "Dessins Animes" means "pictures in motion" so "animes" in the French context means "in motion" it'd be a strange transliteration to make that the Japanese word for animation in general!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:
But the rest of my argument stands; "Dessins Animes" means "pictures in motion" so "animes" in the French context means "in motion" it'd be a strange transliteration to make that the Japanese word for animation in general!

To be exact, animé in French means "alive with motion." It's the same thing that "animated" means in English prior to the invention of animated cartoons.

(A stone rolling down a hill would not be called animated).

The existence of the words animated and animation in English are derrived from French, and I assume the French words are derived from lating.

So the origin of the word "anime" in English would be something like this:

Latin -> French -> English -> Japanese -> English.

-t
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:08 am Reply with quote
So it brings back to my question? When did the word "anime" start appearing? The 80s?
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
So it brings back to my question? When did the word "anime" start appearing? The 80s?

Weazul-chan wrote:
IIRC, according to wikipedia, in the 80's and earlier the term most often used for Japanese animation was "japanimation", a term that people now tend to look down on. using the term "anime" to describe Japanese animation started to become the standard in the early 90's. so, to answer your confusingly-worded question, we were probably told it was Japanimation.

Apparently they started using the term in the early 90's
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I read a book that calls British animation "Britoons". That never caught on, and I'm kind of thankful.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
MonkeyFunk wrote:
I read a book that calls British animation "Britoons". That never caught on, and I'm kind of thankful.

Neither has Canadanimation, which some people in the mid-90s used to describe the work of the great animator George Plympton.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
MonkeyFunk wrote:

Neither has Canadanimation, which some people in the mid-90s used to describe the work of the great animator George Plympton.

I think you're confusing George Plympton, the screenplay writer for various westerns and sci-fi B movies with the maverick independent animator Bill Plympton, though Bill Plympton's not Canadian.

I don't know which Canadian animator you're thinking of... Richard Condie, maybe? Clive A. Smith? Norman McLaren? (John Kricfalusi doesn't really count, since most of his work was done south of the border.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I think you're confusing George Plympton, the screenplay writer for various westerns and sci-fi B movies with the maverick independent animator Bill Plympton, though Bill Plympton's not Canadian.

I don't know which Canadian animator you're thinking of... Richard Condie, maybe? Clive A. Smith? Norman McLaren? (John Kricfalusi doesn't really count, since most of his work was done south of the border.)

I remember watching "O Canada" BITD on Cartoon Network and I thought it was either George or Bill. He also animated "But the Cat Came Back . . ." *does a quick search* shoot, that was Cordell Barker. ARGH, who am I thinking of, I know I heard a Plympton form the Nation Film Board of Canada! *does another search* Oh, it was Bill Plympton. What nationality is he Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2