• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Quick question on english dubs and uncut dvds.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
If I buy an uncut dvd, lets say, naruto, I know all the blood and removed scenes will be back in, but what If I watch it in english?
In other words, if I watch a show that was on cartoon network edited on uncut dvd in english, will damn still be dang, kill still be destroy or demolish (that's my pet peeve), and what about scenes with dialouge that are removed? I mean to say, if a scene involving dialouge was removed for the CN edited version, will they record that scene especially for the dvd or what? If a male character is made female (f you watch naruto, you know what I'm talking about) in the CN dub (there's a male character that disguises his voice and dresses as a chick, I think CN might change that, but the character is too major to erase so they will probly just make him a girl), will he still be a girl in the uncut english dub?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
If I buy an uncut dvd, lets say, naruto, I know all the blood and removed scenes will be back in, but what If I watch it in english?
In other words, if I watch a show that was on cartoon network edited on uncut dvd in english, will damn still be dang, kill still be destroy or demolish (that's my pet peeve), and what about scenes with dialouge that are removed? I mean to say, if a scene involving dialouge was removed for the CN edited version, will they record that scene especially for the dvd or what? If a male character is made female (f you watch naruto, you know what I'm talking about) in the CN dub (there's a male character that disguises his voice and dresses as a chick, I think CN might change that, but the character is too major to erase so they will probly just make him a girl), will he still be a girl in the uncut english dub?

How Naruto will be handled, is that there is one dub made. That is the uncut dub, the one which is used on the upcoming uncut DVDs. From that dub, it is then reworked into a seperate version, which is the one that is broadcast.

Sometimes dialouge is changed for a DVD release, and sometimes it's changed for the TV run. It's a case-by-case thing, so if you're wondering about a certian series/multiple series, list them and someone might be able to help you.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
In other words, if I watch a show that was on cartoon network edited on uncut dvd in english, will damn still be dang, kill still be destroy or demolish (that's my pet peeve), and what about scenes with dialouge that are removed? I mean to say, if a scene involving dialouge was removed for the CN edited version, will they record that scene especially for the dvd or what?

That would depend on what the original English script was like. CN edits the original script and changes what it needs to. When it comes to the uncut DVD's, they'll have the original script; so if "damn" is in the original script but is replaced with "dang" on CN, then the DVDs will have "damn."

animonkey wrote:
If a male character is made female (f you watch naruto, you know what I'm talking about) in the CN dub (there's a male character that disguises his voice and dresses as a chick, I think CN might change that, but the character is too major to erase so they will probly just make him a girl), will he still be a girl in the uncut english dub?

I don't think we need to worry about that character being made into a girl. CN has shown characters like that before, namely spoiler[Kamatari] from Rurouni Kenshin. But even if CN changes him into a girl and he's a boy in the original script, then he'll be a boy on the DVDs.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
You shouldn't have to worry about him being changed into a female, his BIO on YTV.com lists him as a guy with feminine looks. Wink
patch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
animonkey wrote:
In other words, if I watch a show that was on cartoon network edited on uncut dvd in english, will damn still be dang, kill still be destroy or demolish (that's my pet peeve), and what about scenes with dialouge that are removed?

That would depend on what the original English script was like. CN edits the original script and changes what it needs to. When it comes to the uncut DVD's, they'll have the original script; so if "damn" is in the original script but is replaced with "dang" on CN, then the DVDs will have "damn."

So you're saying that there will two seperate english dubs that are being done? Do you know this for a fact or are you assuming this is the case?
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
So you're saying that there will two seperate english dubs that are being done? Do you know this for a fact or are you assuming this is the case?

Basically yes. There is a possibility that there are 2 scripts; the original script and an edited one for CN purposes. Now I don't know for sure if this is the case for Naruto because the uncut DVDs haven't been released yet and so there's no way to compare; but this has happened before where there's basically 2 scripts out. The series I can name off the top of my head is Yu Yu Hakusho; there are some dialogue differences between the DVDs and CN. Read the Yu Yu Hakusho sections of The Edit List to see what I mean.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
patch wrote:

Basically yes. There is a possibility that there are 2 scripts; the original script and an edited one for CN purposes. Now I don't know for sure if this is the case for Naruto because the uncut DVDs haven't been released yet and so there's no way to compare; but this has happened before where there's basically 2 scripts out. The series I can name off the top of my head is Yu Yu Hakusho; there are some dialogue differences between the DVDs and CN. Read the Yu Yu Hakusho sections of The Edit List to see what I mean.

Actually there were 2 versions of Yu Yu Hakusho on CN. When they showed it on Toonami they changed the line “I left cause they pissed me off.” to something like, “Cause everyone up there is a jerk.” They played it with the original line when it was shown on Sat. night but changed it when they showed it on Toonami in the afternoon. Yu Yu Hakusho also has 2 sets of subtitles on the DVD. One set matches the English dub and I assume the other set of subtitles matches the Japanese audio.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Actually there were 2 versions of Yu Yu Hakusho on CN. When they showed it on Toonami they changed the line “I left cause they pissed me off.” to something like, “Cause everyone up there is a jerk.” They played it with the original line when it was shown on Sat. night but changed it when they showed it on Toonami in the afternoon. Yu Yu Hakusho also has 2 sets of subtitles on the DVD. One set matches the English dub and I assume the other set of subtitles matches the Japanese audio.

That's pretty much what I just said. There's an original English script, with the line "I left cause they pissed me off," and an edited one, with "'Cause everyone up there is a jerk." The script that appeared in the uncut DVDs was the one with "pissed off."

Now if Naruto has these 2 scripts, then the same thing will happen when the uncut DVDs come out.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
then do they also release cut "kid-friendly" dvds?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Depends if they want to; I have seen edited Yu Yu Hakusho DVDs that were released at the same time as the uncut ones. They were in a different package without the "uncut" on them, so it was easy to tell which was which.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1