• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodent Meat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I just watched FLCL last night on AC, episode one. I've seen it before, but never payed too much attention to it. With the slight schedule change, I didn't expect it to come on, and I actually watched it this time. And I'm completely confused. What the heck is up with this series!?!? I rated it a masterpiece, yes, but it's crazy! I need some explaining or something. I don't get anything in it. What the heck is Furi Kuri anyways? Question
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Can you say what parts of it you didn't get? It'd be alot easier for people to explain which parts you didn't get by naming them out. Also its created by GAINAX (I think). Alot of their works are wacky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rodent Meat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
What parts I didn't get? ...umm, most of it. I've heard that Gainax has been weird, but they have really good animation. Well, there was the whole robot shooting out of his head, wacking bass guitars on people heads, crazy manga style stuff, that stuff. It was just very random.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Rodent Meat wrote:
It was just very random.

That's the point.
Anyway, I think you'll get it once you see the whole thing through. (There is a story.) Just keep watching it every night. The two-volume manga sums up a few things, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Your going to have to watch it at least 2-3 times to get a few things. I've seen the whole series like 6 or 7 times already and I still don't get a few things. Like what's the deal with spicy foods?
Rodent Meat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I probably will. While confusing, I admit it's very good. It's also pretty funny, funny-weird sometimes. While kind of out there, my favorite character is the robot, which was never properly introduced or anything. I dunno, it's just confusing.
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Rodent Meat wrote:
I just watched FLCL last night on AC, episode one. I've seen it before, but never payed too much attention to it. With the slight schedule change, I didn't expect it to come on, and I actually watched it this time. And I'm completely confused. What the heck is up with this series!?!? I rated it a masterpiece, yes, but it's crazy! I need some explaining or something. I don't get anything in it. What the heck is Furi Kuri anyways? Question

If, you didn't pay attention to it the first time you saw it and you didn't understand anything in it... then why would you rate it a masterpiece? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Your going to have to watch it at least 2-3 times to get a few things.

Actually, that's true.

Rodent Meat wrote:
While kind of out there, my favorite character is the robot, which was never properly introduced or anything.

I think Canti is properly introduced in episode two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rodent Meat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Rodent Meat wrote:

If, you didn't pay attention to it the first time you saw it and you didn't understand anything in it... then why would you rate it a masterpiece? Shocked

Umm, because I watched it and thought it was good. I didn't pay attention, in the means that I didn't think too much into everything that was going on, yes. But I still saw it, and it was very good when I first saw it.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
I think Canti is properly introduced in episode two.

Well, when I see episode two, then I'll edit that away! Smile
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Also its created by GAINAX (I think). Alot of their works are wacky.

It was created by GAINAX which is the studio that created Neon Genesis Evangelion. Also the director of The End of Evangelion is also the director of FLCL.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Rodent Meat wrote:

First of all, it is a masterpiece. Second, you don't necessarily have to understand something to like it a lot. Even outlawwolf said:
Quote:
I've seen the whole series like 6 or 7 times already and I still don't get a few things.

I've also rated it as a "Masterpiece," yet I don't understand it completely. (Probably never will...)

Kyle Smyth wrote:
It was created by GAINAX which is the studio that created Neon Genesis Evangelion. Also the director of The End of Evangelion is also the director of FLCL.

Although the story and planning were done by GAINAX, the animation and production was done by both GAINAX and Production I.G.
http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=277
Old School

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I read through the thread and I still have no idea what FLCL stands for. Can someone please enlighten me? Wink Wink
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Old School wrote:
Alright, I read through the thread and I still have no idea what FLCL stands for. Can someone please enlighten me? Wink Wink

FLCL, Fooly Cooly, Furi Kuri has no real meaning. (Does it?) They use it a lot to symbolize...something important. Maybe. (?)
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
There are many names I have seen it stand for but on the OST it says "Fooly Cooly".
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Old School wrote:

FLCL, Fooly Cooly, Furi Kuri has no real meaning. (Does it?) They use it a lot to symbolize...something important. Maybe. (?)

It's Japanese slang for groping a woman's breast.

In the first episode, spoiler[Grandpa Shigekuni is showing how he "kneeds bread" with his hands. What he's really doing is showing how to massage a girl's breasts & nipples (you see him mimeing something like tuning a radio Wink ) He then says "You cooly-cooly with you hands, see?"]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2