• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Beautiful Girl, Mari Screenings in Seattle.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who's interested, apparently My Beautiful Girl, Mari is playing at a theater in the Seattle area. The animation looks different, but very cool. And the story sounds good as well. Even Bamboo gave it a thumbs up:
animenewsnetwork.com/columns/ShelfLife.php?id=91

Here's the info from the PI:
Quote:
MY BEAUTIFUL GIRL, MARI
Most of the recent animated features emerging from South Korea's re-energized film industry take their cue from the popular anime style of Japan, with its angular body types, big eyes, zippy visual effects and science fiction story lines. Lee Sung-gang's exquisite tale of childhood remembrance and imagination is different, a patient fantasy painted in swaths of color without the traditional pen and ink lines. Two childhood friends recall their last days together in their small coastal village, where an abandoned lighthouse full of the ghosts of flying fish is their playground and a marble with a magic spark is their ticket to a fantasy dimension. Behind the magic are the very real, roiling emotions of loss, betrayal and adolescent attraction. There's a delicacy and a poignancy in both story and style that is rare in animation today. (Sean Axmaker)

GRADE: B+

At Grand Illusion today through Thursday. 80 minutes. No rating, for all ages. Korean with English subtitles.

Ed note - no need for the caps, brotha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1