• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Career in Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solot58

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
ey, im 17 and a senior in High school.. and just the other day my teacher asked me what i wanted to do w/ my life... and i told her i dont kno because i dont kno what i'll be able to do from 9 to 5 for the next 40 yrs of my life.. but i was wonderin, do you think there are good careers in anime, like workin for CN even tho they are kinda lame
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I was actually considering something in anime as well. There are a lot of jobs related to publishing anime and manga. Personally, I'm into anime news. (Maybe an anime magazine?) Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
solot58

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
yea, like anime is kinda the only thing i can think of as far as something to do for a really long time.. like i wouldnt care what department i would be assigned too, but my friends friend's dad is like a scheduler for CN and he decides what time shows are shown, and another reason i wanna do something in anime is because i heard that CN is based in Atlanta
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
solot58 wrote:
ey, im 17 and a senior in High school.. and just the other day my teacher asked me what i wanted to do w/ my life... and i told her i don't kno because i don't kno what i'll be able to do from 9 to 5 for the next 40 yrs of my life.. but i was wonderin, do you think there are good careers in anime, like workin for CN even tho they are kinda lame

If you think they're lame (which they're not, they have ADULT SWIM) don't work there. Go to some crap studio like Nickelodeon.

And if your dad REALLY is a CN scheduler, tell him to make DBZ Uncut an hour long. We don't need a 5th showing of Teen Titans reruns before it.

And learn grammar.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

And learn grammar.

And stop backseat moderating.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
You realize that most of Cartoon Network's content is not anime, right? If you want to get a job somewhere like Cartoon Network, you should think about going into broadcasting.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And if your dad REALLY is a CN scheduler, tell him to make DBZ Uncut an hour long. We don't need a 5th showing of Teen Titans reruns before it.

Oh thank gosh you said that. Dude or I Dudette I know nothing about you but I have respect for you.

Anyways I read in Anime Insider Issue #10 that had an article on breaking into the animie business, that a good way to do it is to first figure out what you want to do in Anime and go from there. As an animator you'll need to work such programs as Adobe Photoshop CS, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Effects and thats just to name a few. You also have to be able to draw extremely well. Also they work extremely long hours.

Voice acting is the same as real live-action acting. You have to be able to act and go through and audition. If they don't choose you thats okay cause maybe the part isn't right for you (or you suck either one but lets keep it positive).

ADR Directors are pretty much the next step as far as animation goes. If you work you butt off and you are good at it you may even be able to become a director.

Manga creators pretty much gamble as far as salary and getting published goes. Rumiko Takasha just recently paid the second highest amount of income tax in all of Japan because her Inuyasha was so successful.

Just keep trying and things will work out. I am also 17 and I share your feelings and fears of what to do for the rest of your life. Everything will work out.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
You realize that most of Cartoon Network's content is not anime, right? If you want to get a job somewhere like Cartoon Network, you should think about going into broadcasting.

And the chances of you still working 9-5 in a job that will ultimatly not satisfy you are fairly high. Not everyone gets a job they're interested in or care about, but ultimatly you are working to support yourself and to do your job, not to enjoy yourself.

Course', this doesn't mean you can't enjoy the job you have, but working in Anime-related areas does not pay very well, and while it would seem to be a great idea to be "OMG ANIME 24/7", you will burn out insanely quick and utterly hate it.

Consider, like one3rd said, finding a career in broadcasting, or even media, film, or any related subjects, go to college, get some qualifications, and work from there.

One last piece of advice- It's a general assumption that you'll go from anywhere to 3-5, even more or less, career changes in your life. Whatever you do now or in a few years is not nessecerally going to be what you'll do in ten. The point is to give yourself the options to move into what you want.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Also if you are trying to get both the money and resources to get into some kind of Media job enter yourself into one of those nation highschool competitions. I live in Canada and every year there is a National film board of Canada competition where they even give you money to buy yourself equiptment to make a movie. You just have to present the movie or you'll have to give the cash back. Also while presenting the movie people come up to you from different companies and offer you business cards to do Media work for them.
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I am serious when I say, if you want to get into anime move to Canada. I think that there are 2 or three (I know that Ocean Group is one of them but I cannot remember the rest) that do translation work and even finishing animation of both anime and american cartoons. If you get a job there, you could build up connections to break into the world on your own. Also, I recomend that you learn japanese unless you want to work with one of those simulator companies.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually hoping to get into animation or writing. I've heard that companies like disney have lots of animators from Canada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
As far as a carreer in anime goes,I'm seriously consiering moving to Japan to break into the manga industry in the future.But I need alot more practice if I want to see it happen.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
As far as a carreer in anime goes,I'm seriously consiering moving to Japan to break into the manga industry in the future.But I need alot more practice if I want to see it happen.

That you will. You may wanna take writing and drawing classes before you even think about moving to Japan, where your dream will most likely be flushed down the toilet in 2 seconds. If you wanna do manga so bad, why don't you do an "Americanime"-style manga like the ones that Tokyopop has (Rising Stars of Manga)?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:

You're not likely to break into the industry there unless you're Japanese and know the language fluently. Hell, even if you are Japanese, you've got a pretty poor chance of "making it" in the industry.
petran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:

If you're interested in manga and feel you have the talent for it you should first try to learn draw comics in general, not just the Japanese comics, since this would be onesided. After all mangas are comics or graphics novels. You should learn about the art of comics generally and then you could specialize in Japanese comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2