• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in the UK

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milky joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
being a UK anime fan sucks on the proverbial donkeys hairy bits, i cant even go to see HOWLS MOVING CASTLE at the ciname as its not showing anywhere near me until a month after the official release date.
then if i want to watch dvds i have to imprt them as they never release anything good here, and when they do the series cost a bomb per episode on dvd.

i was looking forward to HOWLS.... as well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
That would depend on your definition of "good". We have ADV, MVM, Beez, And Manga Ent. here at present with a fair list of titles with more coming over each month. Plus there are more book sellers that are now stocking manga. It's not as bad as it was 5 years ago.
logboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote
its certainly a better situation than it was in the early 90s when the true revolution began in terms of regular supplies of stuff openly labelled anime and manga. the prices are way too high, and the release dates terrible, and the choice still isnt as good as elsewhere - but be happy everythings so much cheaper now we have dvd, so import everything...!
milky joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote
yeah it is better, i still have my videos from the big boom of manga in the early 90s. i still love Lensman and Venus Wars.

im just bitter because i cant get to see Howls Moving Castle.

i have to say that £20 in HMV for one disc of Stand Alone Complex is a bit steep, is there about 26 episodes or something?

if you can get a whole series of 24 in one boxset i cant see why s.a.c. cant just be released as a boxset either.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:02 am Reply with quote
Ever heard of here ?
Bane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
milky joe wrote:
yeah it is better, i still have my videos from the big boom of manga in the early 90s. i still love Lensman and Venus Wars.

im just bitter because i can't get to see Howls Moving Castle.

i have to say that £20 in HMV for one disc of Stand Alone Complex is a bit steep, is there about 26 episodes or something?

if you can get a whole series of 24 in one boxset i can't see why s.a.c. can't just be released as a boxset either.

Indeed, We will also have to wait AGES to see GITS 2 in cinemas here. I was gonna download the GITS TV Series since paying £20 for it in HMV is way too much. Then I found they had a small number of anime titles in this record shop in my town and they had some GITS TV Series DVDs going for a tenner so I'll be buying them now Very Happy

Just out of interest, is Elfen Lied ever going to get a release over here?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
Bane wrote:

I've no idea if ADV have any plans to get it released, but I would have thought it would run into problems with the BBFC. Then again, I thought the same about Puni Puni Poemi but that got through uncut - eventually.
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
milky joe wrote:

im just bitter because i can't get to see Howls Moving Castle.

if you can get a whole series of 24 in one boxset i can't see why s.a.c. can't just be released as a boxset either.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Complete 1st GIG Box Set (7 Discs)
£31.99 Delivered
availability: Due for release on 14/11/2005
RRP: £39.99 You save: £8.00 (20%)
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=741567&p=57&g=72&pa=sr

Need I say anymore? £32 for the whole series is a bargain.

angel_lover wrote:
Bane wrote:

I've no idea if ADV have any plans to get it released, but I would have thought it would run into problems with the BBFC. Then again, I thought the same about Puni Puni Poemi but that got through uncut - eventually.

Gantz is on the upcoming releases on Play.com (due 17/10/2005) and surprisingly its passed off as a 15 rating! So I'd expect Elfen Lied to also be released in a similiar manner. Also, I think they've reversion the episode count for Gantz to 4 (5 on disc one) episode per disc as it says in the time duration: 1 hour and 40 minutes. That's pretty sweet in my opinion.
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
milky joe wrote:
being a UK anime fan sucks on the proverbial donkeys hairy bits, i can't even go to see HOWLS MOVING CASTLE at the ciname as its not showing anywhere near me until a month after the official release date.
then if i want to watch dvds i have to imprt them as they never release anything good here, and when they do the series cost a bomb per episode on dvd.

i was looking forward to HOWLS.... as well.

Have you checked any local Arthouse cinemas? We have a arthouse cinema in our city centre which is about 20 mins away from where I live and it's currently showing Howls Moving Castle, I plan to watch it pretty soon Smile

Anime DVDs are pretty much like any our games, we always have to pay more for them and we always get them last after waiting a redicuously long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1