• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The poll questions for the: Should Anime be Free? poll

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Would just like to comment that i think the poll is somewhat flawed, as it does'nt give a voting option for those that buy because they want to support the creators.
Atleast not an option that makes that intent clear.

"I don't mind paying for anime" or whatever sounds like the answer of a tycoon with to much money. (Well not really, but i hope you get what i mean)
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree.

(By the way, no, renting anime or previewing it at cons/TV/etc is not an option in many countries. If the poll addresses only American fans then so be it, but in that case make that clear.)
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo wrote:
Would just like to comment that i think the poll is somewhat flawed, as it does'nt give a voting option for those that buy because they want to support the creators.

"I don't mind paying for anime" or whatever sounds like the answer of a tycoon with to much money. (Well not really, but i hope you get what i mean)

I buy almost as much as I download. I downloaded Elfen Lied, and Scrapped Princess, and I'm currently in the process of purchasing both series. If I like it well enough, even though I've downloaded and watched the whole thing, I'll go ahead and buy it.

I dont think it should be free. I dont mind paying for it. I just cant justify paying 30 bucks for a single DVD and 100+ for a whole box, when there is best buy and online retailers (not hong kong bootlegers F*** them) selling them for marginally cheaper.

I wanted to clarify this in another thread, but I sorta shot myself in the foot and made myself look like an asshole.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Free anime. Yeah, right. No way that would work. Hey, why not free video games? You know what, let's just stop paying the employees!!! Rolling Eyes

Anime is not a right. It's a privelege. Therefore, you should pay for it.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
I agree.

(By the way, no, renting anime or previewing it at cons/TV/etc is not an option in many countries. If the poll addresses only American fans then so be it, but in that case make that clear.)

Although, the information contained on the site is accessible to anime fans everywhere, ANN, in general, aims to serve the United States and Canada.
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

I buy almost as much as I download. I downloaded Elfen Lied, and Scrapped Princess, and I'm currently in the process of purchasing both series. If I like it well enough, even though I've downloaded and watched the whole thing, I'll go ahead and buy it.

I don't think it should be free. I don't mind paying for it. I just can't justify paying 30 bucks for a single DVD and 100+ for a whole box, when there is best buy and online retailers (not hong kong bootlegers F*** them) selling them for marginally cheaper.

I wanted to clarify this in another thread, but I sorta shot myself in the foot and made myself look like an not-so-nice-person.

Dude, i feel your pain.
I spent $108 on the UC Gundam Movie boxset at my local Anime retailer, something i do, fully knowing that Amazon sells it for like $63.
The reason i did, was to help make Anime profitable in Norway, to in term drive the prices down locally, making it more visible to people that may have ignored it because of the pricetag earlier, so that i may one day discuss my interests with people i bump into on the street.
But Idealism has it's price. Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote
It's always interesting to see people still complaining about $30 anime DVDs. Thirty dollars is a small price to pay for a product a company bothered to import, package, and put on a domestic market, taking a chance on it. I can see where you might complain if it has only 2 or 3 episodes on the disc, but if it's around 4 or 5, it's ludicrious to use this as an excuse for buying bootlegs. Especially when there are several discount DVD websites where you can get them cheaper.

The industry needs money to continue making the anime you love so much. To demand free anime is a slap in the face to the hard-working anime industry. Animators aren't exactly swimming in yen over there. It's a labor of love.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo wrote:

Hmm, hasn't thought of that possibility. The " don't really care, the free versions (TV, Fansubs, etc...) are inferior to DVD so regardless of whether anime if available for free, I prefer to pay for DVDs" answer is probably closest to that.

Quote:
"I don't mind paying for anime" or whatever sounds like the answer of a tycoon with to much money.
Hmm, I don't think so at all. It essentially says "I don't mind paying for what I like provided I can preview it first." A tycoon would be more likely to say, "I don't mind paying for whatever, and if I don't like it, no big deal."

Besides, you don't need to be a tycoon. For a gainfully employed adult who has decent control of his or her finances, anime's pretty damn cheap. A meal for two at a good restaurant costs the equivalent of 5-10 DVDs.

Understandably, many anime fans are not yet "gainfully employed adults." So somewhere between "School age anime fan" and "Tycoon" you have "gainfully employed adult," something most anime fans will hopefully end up becoming.

My point of view has always been that I'm willing to spend an hour's salary on an hour's entertainment. There are times when I'm willing to spend a lot more on certain activities, but any time the entertainment costs less than my salary, it's really cheap.

For a student who may be making $8~$15 an hour, and working 20 hours or less a week, things are unfortunately more expensive Sad

-t

-t
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
For a gainfully employed adult who has decent control of his or her finances, anime's pretty damn cheap.

In North America. But when one has to import it, costs get higher. In the end, importing one R1 anime DVD with four episodes may cost about three-fourths of the cost of a whole season of a domestic release of a TV show. So while this doesn't make it impossible to buy anime, it definitely makes one think about one's priorities.

And yeah, well... when one is not gainfully employed, it's all the more expensive. :/
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

For a student who may be making $8~$15 an hour, and working 20 hours or less a week, things are unfortunately more expensive Sad

-t

-t

I agree.

Being a college student myself and working part time, I tend to buy anime online around the 15-20 dollar price range instead of full price. What I hate are those college student that use excuse of being a "poor" student, thus anime should be free forever. Your budget might be tighter, but it's all about money management.

And I don't mind that people use fansub as preview, but what tick me off is that I'm working hard to pay for my entertainment while others just get them for free and brag about, as if they cheat the system.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's always interesting to see people still complaining about $30 anime DVDs. Thirty dollars is a small price to pay for a product a company bothered to import, package, and put on a domestic market, taking a chance on it. I can see where you might complain if it has only 2 or 3 episodes on the disc, but if it's around 4 or 5, it's ludicrious to use this as an excuse for buying bootlegs. Especially when there are several discount DVD websites where you can get them cheaper.

The industry needs money to continue making the anime you love so much. To demand free anime is a slap in the face to the hard-working anime industry. Animators aren't exactly swimming in yen over there. It's a labor of love.

The fact that Walmart, Bestbuy, Circuit City, Deepdiscountdvd.com, bestprices.com, overstock.com all sell them for less than 30 makes me wonder if there's some middleman in there that they use as an excuse to have them at such a rediculous MSRP. Same reason why CDs have an SRP of 20 when the only places that sell them for that much are Sam Goody and its affiliates.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

The fact that Walmart, Bestbuy, Circuit City, Deepdiscountdvd.com, bestprices.com, overstock.com all sell them for less than 30 makes me wonder if there's some middleman in there that they use as an excuse to have them at such a rediculous MSRP. Same reason why CDs have an SRP of 20 when the only places that sell them for that much are Sam Goody and its affiliates.

That's because the more you buy, the bigger discount you get. Best Buy and Walmart et al. buy tons of volume, meaning bigger discounts. They then sell it cheaper, making less profit per unit, but the volume they move makes up for it. The smaller the store, or the smaller quantities they buy, the closer to MSRP you get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1