• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bobobo Pre-Toonami Debut

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I just checked the schedule on CN's website. The first episode will air tonight at 10:30. Either CN is aiming to please those of us who can't wait until tommorrow night, or they think it will fit well on Fridays as well as Toonami.

Let's pray that Bobobo's voice is good. I can't really tell much from the preview on the website.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
EDITED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the warning. would have missed it if I hadn't checked out the forums. But seriously, jesus christ, what a crazy show! I really wish they translated the japanese writing. I can read the basic hiragana and katakana but the Kanji is tough and it was also really fast. The show is definately not meant to be taken seriously in the least bit so some of the bad acting and wackiness can be forgiven. Also, with the oddly shaped characters, does this remind anyone else of Rave Master?
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
No, it doesn't remind me of Rave Master at all. Rave Master wasn't a wacked-out comedy.

And I agree that they should've translated the kanji. I mean, it's good that CN's not afraid to show it, but still...

I'm surprised that Wild Challenger wasn't replaced with some rock opening. That's good, though, because that song is awesome.

So far, the dub is good. I like Richard Epcar as Bobobo, Michael McConnohie as the narrator, and Richard Hayworth as that crazy guy at the end. And I think Emperor Baldy Bald was played by the guy who was Aoshi in Kenshin.

EDIT: Does anyone else think Richard Hayworth (Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin) would make a good Vegeta?

Last edited by Starwind Amada on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard did a good job directing it as well.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
I was fairly impressed,I had low expections,i' mean the plot was Insane. and the fact that it will air on toonami ...was kinda funny to me. but can't say much sense I don't know anything about the show its self.

So Bobobo dub..or naruto?
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This is by far the craziest anime I've ever watched! Were the people stoned when they wrote this show? It's like a parody of an American's first perspective of anime: crazy, out of control, and not making much sense.

Is anyone bothered by the fact that they kept the title? I read that "bo-bo" means "c**t" in Japanese. If it true then it makes it funnier that they kept the title.
bebop26

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
One heck of an episode! It seemed so insane it was funny. I never watched Bobobo-Bo-bobo-Bo before, but the voice acting was good, also funny.

I do wish, however, that they had provided subtitles beneath the kanji for the characters names, I really wanted to know who was who. (especially Bobobo's people in his nose)
But overall a good, funny, insane first episode, and I hope Bobo-bo does well on Cartoon Network. We'll see how well it does if the ratings are posted up sometime next week.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is anyone bothered by the fact that they kept the title? I read that "bo-bo" means "c**t" in Japanese. If it true then it makes it funnier that they kept the title.

That may be what bo-bo means but not bobo-bo. Thats probably something totally different.

Quote:
No, it doesn't remind me of Rave Master at all. Rave Master wasn't a wacked-out comedy.

No I didn't mean the wacked out comedy-ness of it, I meant the look of the inhuman characters like the pickle, the jelly general, and the boogers in Bobo-bo's nose.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Quote:

No I didn't mean the wacked out comedy-ness of it, I meant the look of the inhuman characters like the pickle, the jelly general, and the boogers in Bobo-bo's nose.

Oh. Guess I misunderstood. But yeah, you're right about the look of the inhuman characters. I mean, look at Rave Master, Plu is clearly NOT a dog.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
EDIT: Does anyone else think Richard Hayworth (Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin) would make a good Vegeta?

I'm not too sure about Vegeta. I think the guy who's doing Vegeta's voice now is really good. I think Rich would make a much better Kakashi of Naruto actually. The dude they got now is good too but I always pictured Kakashi to have a Kenshin Himura like voice.
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Bobobo is now officially my new favorite show.

What I like about Bobobo is that it does not take itself seriously. At all. Just pure random fun. If your the type of person who is jaded at all the comedy anime out there, then give Bobobo a try. Every scene, every joke, every gag is every bit as new and original as the last. Bobobo is the type of show that will leave you with a happy, stupid grin on your face.

Of course, it also should be said that this show does not make a lick of sense. The jokes and gags are so absurd and random to the point where it might discourage some viewers. My advice, don't try to understand this show. Your attempt to find logic anywhere will probably give you a severe headache. All you need to do is to just sit back and soak it all in, which will make your viewing experience much more enjoyable.

Oh, and if you thought the first episode was crazy, the second episode will make the first one seem coherent by comparision. Man, they completely went to town on that one, and I wouldn't be exxagerating when I say that the second episode had me in stiches. It's an experience not too be missed.

In closing, I look foward to more episodes of Bobobo. I hope it does well.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the clip on cartoonnetwork.com, and the art nearly turned me off. I can't wait to see it tonight, although I'll tape it if I have to. It's nice going to bed with something laugh about, even if the thing happens to be stupid or disturbing. I think this will out do FLCL.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
this is the most off shit i have ever seen. how long could this possibly last on an american audience? i like how they have fun with the dub, they actually go as far as making fun of the kanji.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3