• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any similar titles to Card Captor Sakura ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thericon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the cute style, beautifully drawn anime, and character developement.

I've become entranced with "Magical Girl" type anime. Smile

If anyone can point me to a few titles that are similar I'd really appreciate it. Also, I'd like to keep it light and happy, no tear jerkers please Wink

Thank you
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Well if you liked the art style then try watching other CLAMP titles. The art style for each CLAMP title varies from which member of the CLAMP team is working on or overlooking the project but one of their titles that would be good for you would be Angelic Layer. I'm not very good at recommending other Magical Girl animes as i've only seen titles such as Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew and others not worth mentioning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Pretear is also a very good magical girl anime. It's short (13 episodes) and cute, with a good dose of angst thrown in. Definitely one of my favourite anime.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Well there's Yu-G-*shot*
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm particularly fond of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, unfortunately it's not licensed in the US. however, the manga version is going to start getting released in the US soon, so hopefully after that generates some intrest in the series the anime will come out here, too.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of any licensed anime that is in the specific genre of "Magical Girl" that I've seen that is similar and/or just as good as Cardcaptor Sakura, but I'll recommend A Little Snow Fairy Sugar and Angelic Layer as two excellent anime that have a somewhat similar feel, just not exactly of the "Magical Girl" genre. The former seems to have more of the "light and happy" stuff that you're looking for but could possibly have too much "cuteness" for you to handle. The latter is also from CLAMP and shares many similarities to CCS as well, but has a lot more shounen elements and more action but still manages to have sufficient character development to provide very solid, likeable characters.

A "Magical Girl" anime that many other people recommend that I haven't seen yet for myself is Princess Tutu which I hear is even better than CCS. But from what I've heard, I get the impression it's not exactly the "light and happy" kind of "Magical Girl" anime that you are looking for, but you really should look into it anyway.

As for an anime that isn't licensed yet, I've heard some people say that Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is the successor to CCS, but I have yet to have that opinion myself, having seen only the first episode. It's okay so far, but I definitely have to see more to have a better opinion of the series.

I hope these suggestions are somewhat helpful Wink.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Card Captor Sakura is definently a tiny bit different than the average shoujo show. Hmm.

I'm suprised no one's mentioned Saint Tail. It's a cute and good show, I say check it out. Saint Tail is rather Robin-Hood esque - the main character is a theif who steals stolen goods back and returns them to their original owners.

Or if you want another good Clamp offer, there's also Magic Knight Rayearth, about three girls who get transported to an alternate world and have to fight to save that world. It's magical girl crossed with rpg elements, a pretty unique blend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Thericon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

I've seen Snow Fairy Sugar and despite high levels of machismo on my part /flex there is in my mind no such thing as "too cute".

I liked Popotan "Magical Mi was really sweet". Kodocha is great (based on the parts that are out now).

Really cute anime girls fighting against almost impossible odds (or even pretend evil) and winning fills me with joy Very Happy

Cute transformations are really nice too. I guess that's why the anime artists put them in..... Wink

I'll check out the suggestion I've see in this thread and elsewhere in the forum. I'm lucky to have found this site and helpful people like you all to steer me toward my new favorite form of entertainment.

Thanks again
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Well, there's Full Moon wo Sagashite--it has cute transformations and all that, but it's perhaps more serious than what you're looking for.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, there's Full Moon wo Sagashite--it has cute transformations and all that, but it's perhaps more serious than what you're looking for.

personally, I'd say skip the Full Moon anime, the manga was so much better than the anime and the anime just felt too dumbed down from the manga. Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (created by Arina Tanemura, just like Full Moon was, I highly reccomend all her manga) suffered a dumbing down as well, but not near as badly as Full Moon suffered from it.
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes anime is really not like the manga at all...which is a shame sometimes. You should see "Magic User's Club" --Mahou Tsukai Tai-- it's a cute romance magical girl series about a magic user that is in the Magic User's Club with other magic users and it's just cute...you HAVE to see it. I recommend it to anyone. The OAV and the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1