• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why am I having so much trouble understanding Excel Saga lol

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celestial_Jade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
i just started episode 1 and i'm sooo confued lol! help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
You won't. Don't try to make sense of it...cause its a lost cause. However things do come together after the second ep. to give you a better grasp of things. Great show though, very funny.
TF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
don't try to think about it, you'll only hurt your brain
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:05 am Reply with quote
The series only starts to actually have some sort of plot in the 24th episode. Until then, just take it as it comes.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:06 am Reply with quote
Outside of "don't look for a deeper meaning", ADV does have the Vid notes that do point out facts and other stuff about the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
It helps if you've seen a lot of pre-Excel Saga anime before watching so you can get some of the jokes. Other than that, your only problem in understanding Excel Saga will be trying to understand it. Don't. Just accept it for what it is on the surface.
red stranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The manga starts to have sort of a story after a while, but the show is not really based on the manga. The anime doesn't really have a story, mostly just running gags...
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
You don't want to understand Excel Saga, just laugh your butt off Anime catgrin .... but episode 26 disturbed me Anime dazed
Insane E

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
Like most have already said, it's not to be understood Razz trying to will just damage your brain Wink With our without understanding I do hope you will enjoy it.

DarkTenshi90, I can see what you mean about ep 26. But I thought the name of it gave it away for what would come Wink "Going Too Far" made most of it kinda obvious Smile
HeisT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
But reading the manga first give a little sense on the anime when you watch it. I read until volume 6 before hunting for the anime. Luckily, have a small knowledge on the manga did pay off when you watching the anime. Won't got so confusing in the end...
Boonmaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Even the most battle-hardened otaku don't get what's going on 100% of the time in the chaos that is Excel Saga Shocked
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Excel Saga is pretty much pure fun until episodes 22-25. It's kind of like Rune Soldier in that respect. This satirical article sums up some of the issues with it:

Local Anime Fan Not Ready for Excel Saga, Police Say
A local Anime fan has been ordered by DoT City police not to begin watching the Anime series Excel Saga. Citing his relative inexperience with Anime as a genre, a police spokesperson claims that watching the zany series now may result in serious injury and even death. “It takes a tremendous familiarity with Anime to be able to watch Excel Saga,” the spokesperson told SSI. “Not only do you have to know lots of Anime to be able to catch all the references, but you have to be a veteran subtitle reader in order to keep up with all the subtitles and all the vid notes!” The fan, who has at most watched Slayers and Love Hina, may simply not have the processing power necessary to fully understand, or cope with, Excel Saga’s gargantuan levels of insanity. “He needs to watch Anime for a couple of more years before he can be ready for ES,” said the spokesperson. “Maybe a year from now, we’ll get him started on Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl, see how well he handles that. If he survives that series’ insanity, then we’ll train and prep him for Excel Saga. Otherwise, if he watches it now, untested and unready as he is, his head may explode. And we can’t have that anymore in this city.”

Maybe not years, but I had had about 15 series finished before I tackled Excel Saga. Overall, it's worth it, but it's important to have some background knowledge. Of course, it's impossible to have all of it, but that's probably impossible unless you're a Japanese hardcore 40 year-old fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1