• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trigun manga or anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NxJ_Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Whats better, the Trigun manga or anime?
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
depends on your taste... and if after watching the anime you were left wanting more. the manga is longer; the Trigun anime is an adaptation of the first Trigun mangas and Trigun Maximum (what the title changed to when the mangaka changed publishers) goes beyond what was covered in the anime. thus, if you were dissatisfied with the ending of the anime it's worth giving the manga a shot.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the manga much better than the anime, but occassionally you can get lost in the action. The anime has a lot more fluff, so if you want to watch something more happy, the fluff in the beginning of the anime is your best bet.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
NxJ_Pirate wrote:
Whats better, the Trigun manga or anime?

With two different format, each have their own advantages and disadvantage. So it really just depend on what you prefer.

It's like asking "which one is better: oranges or orange juice".

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
evilmouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote
I agree with the people above...they both are really different. I find in general I prefer the anime because I find Vash and Wolfwood more sympathetic as characters in the show. I've read all the manga up through #11 and I find myself getting pissed off sometimes at major changes that they decide to make (I know, they're not my characters...but still). Not too bad spoiler example: They make Wolfwood sort of superhuman through surgery when he was young (metal skeleton type stuff ala Wolverine) which just kind of makes me go ARGH. He was bad ass enough to begin with, am I right? Smile
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
actually, I do believe thje manga came out first, so any major changes made would have been made to their characterizations in the ANIME, not the manga.
Nikoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the anime, although both are very good. The manga just seemed quite hard to read, the drawings were quite cluttered with too much going on, making it difficult to interpret exactly what was happening. Just my opinion though, others may not have had a problem reading it.
evilmouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
You are correct, the Trigun manga came out first, but the Trigun Maximum (which are still ongoing) came out *after* the anime and went in a different direction. They recently added that little tidbit about Wolfwood (I think in issue #8) in a "flashback" sequence that I feel changes the character for no real purpose.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Trigun Maximum is the same series, the only reason the title is different is it had to be changed when the publisher was changed for legal reasons. it's got the same manga-ka who is still building the plot to their wishes and just because something is brought up in a flashback in the new arc doesn't mean that it's something they hadn't intended to have in that character's history all along.
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
The manga is a lot better than the anime. As someone mentioned earlier there is just too much "fluff" in the show. If you don't look at the obvious difference, reading or watching then the manga is a lot better. I know the anime came before a good portion of the manga.

(Note: I have only read up to the Amercian releases, which is volume 6) First of all the story is better there are better conficts in it. The first one is that Knives actually has a plan to get rid of all the humans in the manga, in the show all we know is he doesnt like them, and that he has killed a lot of them. Another is that the planet they are on does not have enough resources for humans to survive so they have to leave the planet. Another is that Vash and Knives will die if they keep using there plant abilities.

Also I didn't like the portrayal of the Gung-Ho Guns in the anime, except for Dominique the Cyclops, Monev the Gale and E. G Mine. The rest were made out as senseless killers (Except for Gray the Ninelives who was anyways) but the manga touches on there pasts, puts more personality on each one. Also each Gung-Ho Gun has a lot sweeter abilities then in the anime. Also there are Gung-Ho Guns that were not in the anime at all.

The last thing (even though I dont know if its going to be the same in the manga) was the ending in the anime that I felt was very open ended, are we to believe Knives will wake up and change his mind? I doubt it.

I'll just put it this way, I am a huge Trigun fan and owe a portion of my interest in anime to it. I loved the anime, thats until I read the manga and discovered that if the anime was based almost exactly to the manga, it would of been 1000000 times better. Which can be said about most animes based on mangas, Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin after the Kyoto arc, etc. I wish Nightow waited until he was finished to make the anime.

The anime is good, but the manga blows it out of the water.
NxJ_Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
It's like asking "which one is better: oranges or orange juice".

ok first thing first oranges are better than orange juice. and second now that i hear all your replys you got me going for the manga. so thanks for all your help guys!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer the show, mostly due to Nightow's poor storytelling. It's by no means a favorite of mine and I think it's overrated, and the ending sucked to high heaven, but they way it was done made it fairly engaging. The manga, while perhapse has more story, falls short because the writing is simply mediocre and never once engaged me in the struggles of the characters.
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I actually prefer the show, mostly due to Nightow's poor storytelling. It's by no means a favorite of mine and I think it's overrated, and the ending sucked to high heaven, but they way it was done made it fairly engaging. The manga, while perhapse has more story, falls short because the writing is simply mediocre and never once engaged me in the struggles of the characters.

I don't see how the storytelling in the show is better than the manga since overall its the same thing. I don't claim to be an expert on anime or manga but Trigun story is quite original and sure every show has ridiculous villains with crazy abilities I still think Trigun overall story is very original. I guess its your opinion, though I disagree but then again theres always someone who does.
WannaBeAnimeGurl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I perfer manga. It juss geets me more. But the anime is good 2 but i'll pick the manga first.
Azul8G6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the manga is way better because it has a lot more action and drama than the anime. WolfWood has a big role in the series and fights alot. I don't care what anyone says The Manga is better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1