• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece — Any romance in it later on?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apple pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:22 am Reply with quote
I am thinking of One Piece but I will only consider it if it has a dedper romance story subplot in it later on. If it's a straight pirate adventure, then I am likely to get sick of it. Ranma 1/2 is more romance angled but I think the overall romace subplot of it fueled the comedy and adventure aspects of it.

Anybody who has read the later volumes can tell me if anything goes on with Nami or the other princess chick?
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
I am thinking of One Piece but I will only consider it if it has a dedper romance story subplot in it later on. If it's a straight pirate adventure, then I am likely to get sick of it. Ranma 1/2 is more romance angled but I think the overall romace subplot of it fueled the comedy and adventure aspects of it.

Anybody who has read the later volumes can tell me if anything goes on with Nami or the other princess chick?

I've only read 2 volumes of the manga but the anime does follow the manga really closely (besides fillers of course) and I've seen up to episode 160 and there is barely anything. It's an action series so you shouldn't be expecting much romance but there is some humor related to a character having the hots for every girl he comes in contact to and there's a possible romance between Zoro (not Zolo) and some marine chick but it turns out to there's nothing happening between them so far. I would definitely recommend the manga for action fans but I'm not too sure this is the right title that you're looking for, still very good and very funny though.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
None, whatsoever, through 378 chapters. Frankly, it doesn't need it.
apple pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
i actually like One Piece as is, but i dont think this is the type of manga that fits my collection. it fits the "read during break time" at my job.. heh heh Laughing
crashnburn777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I dont see how one-piece can even support romance. it really has no basis for it. its hard to imagine is what i guess im trying to say.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
crashnburn777 wrote:
I don't see how one-piece can even support romance. it really has no basis for it. its hard to imagine is what i guess im trying to say.

Well, in any action manga there is some basis or possibility that romance may occur but it's highly unlikely that you'll ever see anything develope in that.
apple pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
sometimes having a romantic subplot between 2 popular characters enhances the overall plot.

i mean, if nami dies — it's a big deal. but if she was luffy or zolo's girlfriend — it's a even bigger emotional deal.

i am cool either way. one piece is a solid book.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Considering that One Piece is made for folks in the "girls are icky!" phase, I'd be shocked if their was any sort of romance.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:
Considering that One Piece is made for folks in the "girls are icky!" phase, I'd be shocked if their was any sort of romance.

Well, so is Naruto but there are plenty of possible romances that affect the story, especially with Sakura and Sasuke which is a really big part of the series. I mean no one has a girlfriend or any sort of relationship but you know what i mean.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Trying to impress someone who won't notice you no matter what is not what I would call a romantic subplot. If that's true, then my life is loaded with nothing but romantic subplot.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Trying to impress someone who won't notice you no matter what is not what I would call a romantic subplot. If that's true, then my life is loaded with nothing but romantic subplot.

Maybe it is.... Shocked
Neo-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
First off: outlawwolf...lol Very Happy
second: if they didn't, or don't, actually have a love story in one-piece, i wouldn't be surprized. I mean,i just don't think Luffy would ever get the hint if Nami tried anything and Luffy sure as heck doesn't have love on the brain. As for Zoro, i don't think Nami' his type. However, what about those other guys. Not the one with the huge nose and sling shot, but what about the other one. You know, the sharp dressed one. He looks like the type of guy to go for her...or any other girl that he might come across. Just a guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Neo-Yasha wrote:
You know, the sharp dressed one. He looks like the type of guy to go for her...or any other girl that he might come across.

That's Sanji-kun to the letter. However, that's not used as romantic subplot, but more of a personality joke. If he actually got a girl, it wouldn't work any longer.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
That's Sanji-kun to the letter. However, that's not used as romantic subplot, but more of a personality joke. If he actually got a girl, it wouldn't work any longer.

How sad that it's true! Poor Sanji.

I wonder if he'd know what to do if he actually got a girl...? Continue to woo her with even more French cooking terms?
apple pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
you guys are right actually. i think One Piece would be worse if they went the romance route.

one of the things that make it so cool is that it is very far fetched. you sort of believe the single mindedness of all the characters for what they are as long they stay consistent.

so that means no love, no real life type stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2