• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for a good romance manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rond556

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Now that I finished collecting GTO (and am still workin on collecting Kenshin) I'm looking for something kinda...sweet and romantic for some reason...I've got my eye on four. I would prefere something not too long since I just blew $250 over the last few months on GTO books =/ What's the best?

Love Hina (hate the anime)
Ai Yori Aoshi
Kare Kano
Fruits Basket (really want to read, but not quite sure since it's not finished yet)
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd reccomend Love Hina, but why do u hate the anime? I havn't seen it my self i just wanna know.
rond556

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's just really episodic and it really seems like a chore to watch at times. I tried, but I really couldn't get into it, but I hear the manga is a LOT better
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
rond556 wrote:
I tried, but I really couldn't get into it, but I hear the manga is a LOT better
It is I love it and know a lot of other people that do too.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
rond556 wrote:
It's just really episodic and it really seems like a chore to watch at times. I tried, but I really couldn't get into it, but I hear the manga is a LOT better

I hated the anime (what I saw of it, which was about 8 episodes), and while the manga is better, it's still pretty mediocre. Fun for a couple of volumes, but eventually the humor grows old. Just when you think Naru and Keitaro's relationship is going to develop, the lame plot device of "boy falls into girls breasts/sees her panties" rears its ugly head and ruins it. Not a total waste, and usually somewhat enjoyable, but if I couldn't borrow it off a friend I definitally wouldn't put down the 140 to buy the entire series.
Ai Yori Aoshi is another think that gets pretty repetative and very sappy, but to its credit it remains fresher than Love Hina (or most harem stories for that matter) thanks to skilled writing and good plot developments (though it needs more of them). If it spent more time developing the main romance it would be much better, but I still enjoy reading it (I'm borrowing it from a friend as well, but I'd consider buying it if that wasn't an option).
Fruits Basket really isn't a romance, so I'd scratch that off the list, but Kare Kano is easily one of the best romances available in english. Great characters and story development and a good sense of humor. This is a bit long though, with 21 volumes, and it takes a bit for the story to get off the ground.
I'm going to have to recommend one of my favorite books to come out this year: Blue. Its got probboly the best portrayal of love I've ever seen in a manga, and reading will leave an unforgetable impression on you. Its diffrent than most mangas (its intended for adults), and it does involve lesbians (though nothing more than a kiss is shown), and it's really more of drama than straight romance. Still, an amazing experience. You can pick it up here: http://www.marsimport.com/display_comic.php?ID=9117.
I'd also go for Dance till Tommorow if you like smart and mature humor (warning, contains LOTS of sex) and Love Roma, which is coming out at the end of this month from Del Rey and is only four volumes.
WannaBeAnimeGurl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I can say Snow Drop.Its really good.Right now im up to number 4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1