• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodocha DVD 1 = awful!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I have rented the first Kodocha DVD from Netflix. Good thing I din't buy it!!
There is probably some copyright issue there. I don't know and I don't care. But they wiped out everithing connected to "7 O'Clock News" by Tokio. Which means
1) they have replaced the opening with the later one;
2) they completely mute the sound on Japanese track when it is played. Which happens in the middle of ep.1, when Sana meets the guy from the band.
3) They removed all the names from the subtitles.
4) Don't know the reason but there was no sound on the preview either.
The worst one of course was the scene with Mamo-chan where you have both items 2 and 3. Imagine sound suddenly goes off and Sana says through the subtitles. "Oh, it's xxxxx-chan from xxxxxxx". Literally! With all the x's.
What do they expect me? To switch to the english dub where Hayama sounds like 30-year-old gigolo?
All the years of waiting for the license down the drain. [And here was a purely rhetorical question about a bootleg. No, I am not really looking for it.]

Last edited by Esc on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations. You have just shown me how foolish some anime fans are.

Yes, all the problems were because of copyright issues. Deal with it.

The dub is fanstastic, except for Jerry Jewell as Hayama. Laura Bailey rocks as Sana, can't deny that.

A few legal restrictions doesn't mean the DVD is crap. Asking for bootlegs is not the answer; it is a violation of ANN's strictest rule and it is very stupid, not to mention ILLEGAL. You'd rather have a low-quality 10th generation copy with inaccurate subtitles, which would probably be way overpriced and have all kinds of technical issues itself? You're only on your second post, yet I already think you're a... I won't say it.
Esc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The question was rhetorical. But if the rules are that strict, then okay, I can edit my message. There.

But I am not going to deal with the copyright issues. If they could not do it right, they should not do it at all! But now it is "licensed" and I cannot get a good fansub either. And definitely I am not going to buy something that I cannot use. Any edits are bad. And I don't care about the reason.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
If you don't care about the reason, they why bother posting about the problem? And if you dislike the way FUNi released it, tough. You can import an R2 DVD, but asking for bootlegs is out of the question and very idiotic. In my opinion, those who rely on bootlegs are criminals. Oh, wait, that's the truth. If you're not willing to listen to the reason, I don't see why you should be on this board. My advice to you: either deal with the copyright issues or import a LEGIT Region 2 DVD. Either way, don't hate FUNimation. They just did what they were told to do.

EDIT: Next time you edit a message, don't tell everyone what you edited out. You may as well have just left it the way it was if you were going to do that. Just a tip.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, just pick up the R2 DVD and quit whining...

also...

Jerry Jewell owns as Hayama if you ask me Razz
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Yeah, just pick up the R2 DVD and quit whining...

also...

Jerry Jewell owns as Hayama if you ask me Razz

He is good, I'll give him that. But something about him just doesn't fit. Oh, well, at least it's a talented actor and not some random guy off the street like it'd be if it were dubbed 10 years ago.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
What really caught my attention was that one scene in episode one where the show gets all surreal and stuff

The silent pause and the way the dialogue was delivered just felt so dang awesome...

and I've been okay with him as Hayama ever since

Can't wait for Chris Patton to show up in a regular role
Esc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Why bother? To forewarn other Kodocha hard-fans. So they can keep their money for something else. Hate FUNimation? I have better things to do in my life.
And I removed the question that had excited you that much. Can you move to the real issue? If not, here is a link to my perfectly legal region 1 collection. I am ready to pay my money for the good stuff.
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/collection.php?user=Esc&categ=5
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised though, wasn't this already announced and discussed?

Most fans, had they been following the release, would've known about this already

Anyway, R2 DVDs are always there for purchase
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Esc wrote:
Why bother? To forewarn other Kodocha hard-fans. So they can keep their money for something else. Hate FUNimation? I have better things to do in my life.
And I removed the question that had excited you that much. Can you move to the real issue? If not, here is a link to my perfectly legal region 1 collection. I am ready to pay my money for the good stuff.
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/collection.php?user=Esc&categ=5

Well, the only good things you own are FLCL, Ghost in the Shell, Martian Successor Nadesico, Evangelion (the old version), EoE, Read or Die OVA, Spirited Away, The Animatrix, The Cat Returns, and Escaflowne.
Oh and Elfen Lied as Not very good?

All of this about Kodocha was talked about well over 2 months ago. I've never seen Kodocha, but I will buy it, even with the rights issues. These sort of edits don't bother me because they couldn't do anything about it, and the original artist probably didn't want any exposure over in the US, hence them not getting the rights for the songs.

Here's my list
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/collection.php?categ=5&user=kusanagi-sama
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
as long as I can still hear the names on the japanese track, then I don't care if they've x'd out the names in the subtitles. I can understand enough japanese to know who's talking to who and who is being referred to when.

But all of this does disturb me. One would think that they'd iron out the issues before doing something as drastic as using x's to edit names out in the subtitle track.

And for one who has only JUST heard of the copyright issues, what is up with those? because this seems a bit much even for copyright issues (op song being changed is tolerable and understandable, though).
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
Actually, the sound is drowned out too when that Tokio guy talks, didn't want his voice in the US release either apparently...

you know what would make everyone happy?

Hot Coffee *wink wink*

But really, I'm pretty satisfied with the thing as is and have seen the DVD several times
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
as long as I can still hear the names on the japanese track, then I don't care if they've x'd out the names in the subtitles. I can understand enough japanese to know who's talking to who and who is being referred to when.

From what I've read the voice tracks were take out in Japanese as well. This was all at the request of the Japanese company that owns the show and from what I gather something similar may have been done on the R2 version as well Confused.

Quote:
But all of this does disturb me. One would think that they'd iron out the issues before doing something as drastic as using x's to edit names out in the subtitle track.

And for one who has only JUST heard of the copyright issues, what is up with those? because this seems a bit much even for copyright issues (op song being changed is tolerable and understandable, though).

Well I knew nothing about this show but I read quite a bit about what Funi was going to have to do just by surfing different forums for the last six months. Funimation was quite up front with disclosing what changes were made IMO and, without getting into too much details, why they were made.

The way I understand it the problem is specifically the management who oversees the boy band who did the original OP and whose member(s) had a VA roll in a early episode. The management demanded of the Japanese company that produced the show that all of the changed be made and were not even interested in considering cutting a deal to allow the use of the original OP or the use of the bands names or voices (the management owns all rights to the group - similar to how groups like Menudo work, if I understand this correctly). I also seem to remember reading some similar cuts were made to the Japanese DVD release, though I'm not sure if it was as drastic as what happened on the R1 release was.

Anyway, I read that Funi attempted to make a version of the Japanese track that had music but no voices but it was nixed outright by the Japanese owners after they heard the final result. So Funi had no option but to basically blank out the audio track and remove all names and references from the Japanese sub even though that isn't what they'd have done had it been up to them to decided (it wasn't up to them - period).

One other thing. Personally, I disagree with the earlier poster who said they shouldn't have put it out at all if they couldn't put it out in its original form. While it s*cks big time for things like this to happen, it actually happens a lot with American shows as well (well with the music - haven't heard of anyone having a tissy fit and making anyone change entire scripts like this but that could have happened as well) and I'd rather see a show cut than not at all. As well, not everyone is a hard core fan, online, and/or cares about this issue. If every show that had issues like this wasn't released then a lot of people would never get to see some great shows.

Then again, I'm a fan of a non-anime show that is missing episodes from the 1960s that probably will never be found, which means I'll never get to see how good or bad they actually were because someone at the fricking BBC decided to save money and destroy the master tapes Evil or Very Mad So I guess I may have some strong personal feelings about denying people the right to see shows just because they aren't "perfect" in the eyes of hardcore fans (because I'd be extremely happy to see small clips of those missing Doctor Who episodes, if any more can be found but that may never happen Crying or Very sad )
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
From what I've read the voice tracks were take out in Japanese as well. This was all at the request of the Japanese company that owns the show and from what I gather something similar may have been done on the R2 version as well Confused.

No, the Japanese releases are completely normal, since the right's issues there aren't the same as over in English speaking countries (this is what is keeping several things out of US licensing's arm span, unfortunantly).

Also, sup Doctor Who fan Wink?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2