• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just saw the Paranoia Agent... (7/31)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
And that was a very creppy episode.

I wanna feel sorry for the PA, but he's such a idiot. Also that Mamori character is too scary now.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
IMO, Paranoia went to hell somewhere in the middle of MHz and never really recovered. Creepy, yes, but essentially useless. I mean, what was the point of any of these standalone episodes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
I mean, what was the point of any of these standalone episodes?

First, the Stand-Alones might have a point.

For example, spoiler[in the episode "A Bright Family Plan", where the group of three "people" finally meet Little Slugger and he can see them and is afraid of them, why is he this way? It is a bit of a mystery in that context -- is Little Slugger the Grim Reaper, or just some lost soul releasing others from pain?]

Second, think that every episode, stand-alone or not, has some depiction of Maromi in it. So, it's safe to say that Maromi is in the middle of all of this, but how is still another mystery.

Finally, remember that works involving Satoshi Kon feature unusual psychological and paranomal situations as well. One has to see Perfect Blue and/or Millenium Actress to get an idea of the head games that now exist in Paranoia Agent.

So, in the end, where is it all heading? We'll probably get some of the answers in the last episode (which is only three episodes away from last night's), but they'll probably leave it open for viewer interpretation somehow.
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Maromi is behind it all and the proof is in the ending theme song
where all the people who were emotionally cornered and injured by little slugger were passed out in a circle around a giant maromi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quote
inuyasha1357 wrote:
Maromi is behind it all and the proof is in the ending theme song
where all the people who were emotionally cornered and injured by little slugger were passed out in a circle around a giant maromi.

Actually they're passed out in the shape of a question mark around Maromi.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never noticed the question mark thing. One of the reasons I never really quite got GITS:SAC or PA is because I don't pay attention enough. When I watch Paranoia Agent, I keep wondering, why the heck am I watching this? Well, the last episode isn't that far off, so I can get some answers. Anime dazed I did have a feeling this show was going to be a bit pyschological. The opening animation depicts a bunch of people laughing in not so happy situations, while 'Lil Slugger is the only one in a "nice" scene, the green field.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
IMO, Paranoia went to hell somewhere in the middle of MHz and never really recovered. Creepy, yes, but essentially useless. I mean, what was the point of any of these standalone episodes?

the story gets back on track this weeek.

samuraiwalt wrote:

it's not a question mark, there's something else there you're missing.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:

it's not a question mark, there's something else there you're missing.

No, actually, it's said in the audio commentary for the last volume that it is supposed to be a question mark. (I had not noticed that until they brought it up in the audio commentary, though.) The person who stated that Maromi is at the center of all of this is right, however, as you'll see in the last two episodes.

Concerning episode 8, the fact that spoiler[Lil' Slugger is afraid of the suicide trio] is, in retrospect, a very significant development, since it gives a clue as to Lil' Slugger's true nature.

Episode 10, while not part of the main plot, does establish the spreading popularity of Maromi, a development which is important for the final episodes.

As stated before, the next episode does return to the main plot and bring back some characters we haven't seen in a while. It also introduces the last of the characters seen in the intro. For those who haven't seen it before, and those who didn't pick up on this the first time around, pay very careful attention to when whistles are heard blowing in the episode, even if in the background. They have subtle but special meaning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For those who haven't seen it before, and those who didn't pick up on this the first time around, pay very careful attention to when whistles are heard blowing in the episode, even if in the background. They have subtle but special meaning.

really? i never noticed that before. i'm gonna have to watch it again.

EDIT ok i watched it again, and i still didn't catch it. the only thing i can think of is youth.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

EDIT ok i watched it again, and i still didn't catch it. the only thing i can think of is youth.

Think about why whistles are used by security guards like two of the characters in that episode: to alert people that they are going in a dangerous or inappropriate direction. Then listen carefully for when the whistle is heard in the background during a bar scene later in the episode and what's going on at that time.

It's really subtle, and most people aren't going to catch it unless you know what to listen/look for, but it is a neat effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Think about why whistles are used by security guards like two of the characters in that episode: to alert people that they are going in a dangerous or inappropriate direction. Then listen carefully for when the whistle is heard in the background during a bar scene later in the episode and what's going on at that time.

It's really subtle, and most people aren't going to catch it unless you know what to listen/look for, but it is a neat effect.

oh isee, hence the episode title.

god i love this show.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:39 am Reply with quote
Lol, it's the little things like that that make me really love Kons work.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:

When I watch Paranoia Agent, I keep wondering, why the heck am I watching this?

You can simply watch to be entertained, I mean, even without figuring EVERYTHING out, it's still a funny show
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Armstrong Alchemist wrote:
DKL wrote:
.Sy wrote:

When I watch Paranoia Agent, I keep wondering, why the heck am I watching this?

You can simply watch to be entertained, I mean, even without figuring EVERYTHING out, it's still a funny show
Laughing I, agree .
I actually think that I watch it for the weirdness now. Before it was just to see a plot progress, but that wasn't such a great reason after a while. I dunno why, but I liked FLCL a lot too, partly because it made little sense. This must be my genre. Anime hyper
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I can pretty much rationalize almost everything here, but that's not the only reason why I like it

this show is FUN as hell, I find it hard for ANYONE to not at least laugh during this week's episode *Saruta is a complete moron Laughing *
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2