• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[SPOILERS] Questions on the ending of the Chobits manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doraneko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
The whole thread should be dedicated to the spoilers of the ending of the Chobits manga. So turn away now if you have not yet read it. Wink

In the ending volume of the manga, it is stressed that when Chii's "process" is activated, the outcome would be disastrous. I can understand the part on Chii losing her memory when she is reactivated. But certainly the impact of the activated "process" should be much more than that, as that alone could never justify the trouble of having two pasocons from the authority dedicated to stopping the "process."

Can anyone please shed some light on it? I have reread the ending many times and still cannot fully grasp how the whole "process" works, and the possible results.

Thanks in advance. Smile
sts9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The details of Chi's devestating possibility of what she would do too all persicoms didn't go too far. I didn't dig too deep trying to find out much....I just remember they basically dodged getting into detail and went more into Chi & Hideki's circumstance.

Here's my perspective: Chi's dream/wish was fulfilled and she was happy, thus proving that all persicoms are capapble of being happy. If her heart was broken, then things would have been left the same, except that persicoms would not have had that glimmer of hope that happiness is possible. I didn't get the impression that Chi was going to destroy everything if Hideki ran off.
Megdelah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
I assume you mean Dita and the National Data Base as the two persocom allegedly dedicated to stopping Chi. I don't believe that is their primary focus. The National Data Base has all kinds of info and Dita is his Firewall. They only get involved with Chi because she threatens to destroy his info.
Chi's program function is best described on p. 120 of vol. 8. Her father, the inventor and creator, wanted her to know love and happiness. If she could, then the way would be paved for all other persocoms to be happy. If the person she loved did not return her love, then her program would erase her memory of him and all other persocoms would not recognize their owners either. In this way she would not suffer from a broken heart.
Kokobunji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I may not be qualified to discuss this topic fully and fairly, only seeing the full Anime version of Chobits on DVD, but I would like to give my opinion on this if I may.

Since the manga you all have described seems to match up nearly exactly to the anime, I can follow what you're all talking about.

(All further references will be from the Anime (DVD) viewpoint)
When Chi found true happiness with Hideki, she decided (with the help of Freya) that the 'program' (aka "process") should be run. The program had started earlier, but was cancelled due to Chi's doubts about Hideki actually being in love with her. As a result, Jima (the database persocom) and Dita (the firewall) left the scene, thinking it was all over. They were only there to prevent her actions if they were to be dangerous. It seems Jima felt Chi wasn't the danger once feared. Later when Hideki expressed how he truly only wanted Chi to be happy, Freya and Chi could run the program without risk of interruption. As a result, all persocoms were "hyper-downloaded" (I made that up) the program and data. My impression of the result of the program is like was previously said; that all persocoms could know love, happiness, and other things that humans (and possibly Chi) already know. I would like to believe that, as a result of the program, persocoms became sentient (sp?) beings. In the Anime, this is implied by all the persocoms eyes having irises for a moment during 'conversion'.

So my bottom-line belief is that the program turned all persocoms into Chobits. I hope I was able to provide a little more insight, at least from a different perspective.

Thank you for indulging my imagination and intellect.

One more thing: I was told by one Chobits fan (in a lost chatroom) that the lost disc (dropped while Hideki picked up Chi from the trash heap) was her memories. Is that what it was? (That is, if the manga addresses this). Also, I was wondering how/why Chi can glow and float/defy gravity at certain times. Can anyone clue me in on these events as well?

Chobits is basically the only Anime/Manga I have found so far that I really, really like. Please help me understand this further.
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Kokobunji wrote:

One more thing: I was told by one Chobits fan (in a lost chatroom) that the lost disc (dropped while Hideki picked up Chi from the trash heap) was her memories. Is that what it was? (That is, if the manga addresses this). Also, I was wondering how/why Chi can glow and float/defy gravity at certain times. Can anyone clue me in on these events as well?

Chobits is basically the only Anime/Manga I have found so far that I really, really like. Please help me understand this further.

Yes you heard right, the disk that was dropped were her lost memories. It's in the manga so maybe you missed it? The whole floating thing is just for show i think, but who knows right?
Kokobunji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
DarkWarLord wrote:
{quote]
Yes you heard right, the disk that was dropped were her lost memories. It's in the manga so maybe you missed it? The whole floating thing is just for show i think, but who knows right?

Thank you for your help. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Chii's program had a different purpose in the two versions of the story. In the manga (iirc) its function was to prevent all persocoms from forming any sort of relationship with their owners if Chii couldn't find someone who lived her for who she was rather than as a computerized sex toy. In the anime, the program seems to have the opposite effect (again, iirc).
These changes were intentional since Ohkawa wrote the script for the first and last episodes herself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1