• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Translation Class

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm studing Japanese right now and my college is soon going to have a class where you can learn to translate manga. I want to start out easy, but I'm not sure what kind of manga I should start with. I want the series to be fun and interesting, but with simple grammar for a beginner like me.

So far Saint Tail and ポケットモンスタ-pipipi-look good. Any other suggestions? Very Happy
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Most shounen manga and ones that have furigana would be a good starting point. Or even more elementary mangas like Pocket Monster as you said would also be a good idea.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote
Allow me to suggest Yotsubato! - the individual pages aren't text-heavy, the jokes are simple but ingenious, and the language is fairly simple. On occasion, a difficult word pops up, but that just provides variation. You learn a lot from having to look up 地球温暖化 (chikyuuondanka, global warming) in a dictionary.

Plus, it's a brilliantly funny manga.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:54 am Reply with quote
No, No, you must go with Dragon Head Smile
I am also learning japanese at one of the polish universities, and lately, I decided it was time to translate my first manga. A friend reccomended Dragon Head for me, and it was all I needed. First of all, there isnt much txt in there so thats the first plus, second, the text itself is really simple with minor exceptions (had to use a dictionary a few times) and the story is captivating, very dark sometimes and I am sure you will like it. Again: Dragon Head is your answer Smile
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into both your recommendations. Very Happy

Anymore suggestions anyone?
integra_fan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote
How about Pokemon? It's GOT to be the simplest manga I've known.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fruitsbasket1991

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
how about fruits basket or sometimes people call it furuba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
It occurs to me that another manga which would do very well in this context is Mahoraba.

Partly because the language is generally uncomplicated (though surprisingly complicated ideas are expressed in this simple language), but also because every single kanji is equipped with furigana, which is a great help for a beginner-level reader.

And it doesn't hurt that it's heartwarming and hilarious.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fruitsbasket1991

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
It occurs to me that another manga which would do very well in this context is Mahoraba.

Partly because the language is generally uncomplicated (though surprisingly complicated ideas are expressed in this simple language), but also because every single kanji is equipped with furigana, which is a great help for a beginner-level reader.

And it doesn't hurt that it's heartwarming and hilarious.

- abunai

you sure know alot about kanji and stuff abunai
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
fruitsbasket1991 wrote:
you sure know alot about kanji and stuff abunai

Not as much as I'd like to.

But yes, I've learned Japanese to a degree almost matching competent fluency. I expect to be taking one of the JLPT tests later this year, just to get "papered up" on my skills. Probably Level 3, because I know I can pass that test without difficulty.

I might be able to pass Level 2, but I don't like to take tests unless I know I'll ace them. I'll take it next year, if all goes well.

- abunai
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:22 am Reply with quote
Level 3 ay? Damn, you`re good abunai Smile
I passed the lowest level (actually I forgot which one was it) a few months back. I am pretty happy about it, as it was after only 9 months of study.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:33 am Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
I passed the lowest level (actually I forgot which one was it) a few months back.

That would be Level 4. Level 1 is the most difficult one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
Right. So I got level 4. Thanks dormcat Smile I think I will try level 3 in maybe a year or so.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Right. So I got level 4. Thanks dormcat Smile I think I will try level 3 in maybe a year or so.

With not too much study, Level 3 is achievable a year after Level 4. It seems almost easy, in fact, though I shouldn't say so until I pass it... you never know. On the other hand, the distances from L3 to L2 and from L2 to L1 are considerably greater.

The Wikipedia article on the JLPT has more information.

- abunai
alice20th

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
This was years ago, but I started trying to translate manga in my second semester of Japanese classes. My translations were terrible, and I got a lot of things wrong, but I sure learned a lot.

My suggestion is that you pick up manga that is mostly concerned with domestic life or romance without too much of a fantastic element. You'll find that if people in the manga are going about their daily lives, they'll use vocabulary that's in your textbooks, whereas if they're doing science-fiction or fantasy stuff, you'll get fewer vocabulary words that you know (or if you learn them, you can't be certain that you can use them later).

I started with the Kimagure Orange Road manga (I told you it was years ago), and aside from a few psychic elements, it was straight romantic triangle comedy stuff. For me, it was perfect. I'm not suggesting you do KOR, but you will probably want to do a similar modern romantic comedy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2