• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do your favorite characters share similar traits?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless∞

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
[For main, support, heroes or villains that you like or dislike.]

1. Do you find that many of your favorite and/or least liked characters share the same traits (personality, design, backstory, mannerisms, etc.) in the animes you've watched? Or do they vary based on other factors such as the story, setting, character development, special abilities etc.? Or do you often go with the same archetype (leader, friend, rebel, etc.)?

2. If so, are they traits that you can relate to, admire in others or just simply enjoy seeing? Also, do you find that you only like these traits when they are attributed to a certain gender, age, etc.?

3. For design, (e.g. hairstyle, clothing, color, etc.) does it depend on the art style, or do you like them regardless? This includes non-human design as well, such as for monsters or mecha.

4. Finally, if a character (liked/disliked) goes through a pivotal change (e.g. hero turns villain, vice versa, tragic event cripples character physically/emotionally, secret past is revealed, etc.), does it usually affect you positively or negatively depending on the situation? And in the case that said character(s) revert back to their former selves, does your like/dislike of them return to how it was before the change as well?

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

For me, it's a mixed bag. Though there are certain traits that will draw me to a character more so than others. Starting with characters that I like:

Personality-wise, I seem to gravitate towards the calm (at least in outward appearance) and reserved types. Either emotionally disconnected or the deeply insightful yet unable to express themselves nomrally types. The inclusion of deadpan humor, intentional or not, also enhances my liking of the character as well. I often like them even if they don't develop much throughout the series. Though when they do, and it's done well, it makes me like them even more. Gender and design don't seem to matter too much to me when it comes to this personality type. Secondary types that seem to be common for me are the psychotic (this mostly with females) and boastfully arrogant (males).

For personality traits I dislike, it would probably be prolonged indecisiveness. Though this only applies when the character goes through enough trials to move past this trait, yet continually goes back to it time and time again. Though I guess this is more of a flaw in how the characters are developed by the writers, still, it's something that keeps me from being able to fully support the character through any positive changes he/she may go through later in the series if it is done too often. Just as a side note, in case anybody thinks I'm referring to Shinji, I'm not. He and I are BFFs so he's allowed to be how he is. Leave him alone! He's been through enough! *sobbing embrace with BFF* Anywayssss...

Design-wise, I'm a bit picky with art style but I think I find personality > design. Also, I like to see variety and feel that it helps to break personality/design stereotypes. Though there are times that I feel I might like a character just a bit more if they had a different hairstyle or wore different clothes. With mecha it's the opposite since mechas usually don't have personalities unless they're sentient. I think I tend to like a mecha based on it's color rather than it's design, unless the design is totally cruddy then I don't care if it's drenched in blood, I'd still hate it. Speaking of blood, I think I like red colored mechas the most.

Ability-wise, I find there is usually one type that influences me a bit. I think that if said characters possessed a completely different ability, I probably wouldn't care about them at all. This ability (natural or supernatural) being explosives. Don't know why, but I just love characters who blow stuff up.

Story/Character Development-wise, I have to admit I do often like the hero-turns-villain characters a lot. Not so much with it the other way around though. Mostly because when a villain becomes a good guy, they essentially level down and/or get killed soon after, usually by sacrificing themselves for their newfound friends. Which is fine and all, but I kind of like the events that unfold when a hero turns villain because of the domino effect it has on the rest of the main cast. A path towards destruction appeals to me more than a path towards redemption, most of the time.

Backtracking to whether I relate to, admire or simply enjoy these traits. I think the common traits amongst my favorite characters are usually traits I admire more than relate to. Though I can definitely relate to some as well, depending on how the character is developed in the story. Gender doesn't matter too much to me but I think I might be a bit more picky on the age of a character depending on the personality traits I tend to favor. The traits I like in an adolescent/adult don't seem to work so well for me when they are applied to children, even if they are only young in appearance.

Lastly, on whether I will continue liking a character if they go through a drastic change for the better/worse, then revert back to their former selves. It probably works better on the small, gradual changes rather than the drastic ones. Frequent mood swings and multiple personalities aside, I currently can't recall any of my favorite characters going through this type of transition.So I'll just go with, yes for characters I initially like and no on characters I dislike.

That's all. Would like to read what you guys think on the subject. Will edit my post if needed. Smile
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
1. The characters I usually happen to like are villains. I can't say I resemble their personality at all but I hope to be one like that. Since I came from strict household, I like total sociopath, irrational and unpredictable, a total freedom. Most sociopath are well-dressed, charismatic and able to lead. I have to say I share the similar mannerism as how I look to other people. For other characters, I have a personality similar to some other characters but not all of it and sometimes have the same background, I relate to it.

2. These sociopaths have no ulterior motive for their actions, they just do it because they enjoy it. Notable examples would be Ladd Russo, Joker and Jan Valentine. Definitely they share a lot of similarities if you look at them. Every time I look at them, it's refreshing to watch someone insane than a wishywashy hero wannabe.

3. It has to depend on the art style I would like. The characters I like all have distinct appearance. They appear human but they are mostly immortal. The way they look, it fits their characters. If they have different art style, they still retain their distinct styles that have the universal appeals.

4. All I can say is hah. These characters don't seem to go through changes. They live knowing they are bastards and very proud of it. The thing is everything about their past is mystery. No backstories were provided, no history nothing other than the fact that they are bastards.

Nobody seems to take something like this seriously. If they like the character, they just like them for simple reasons, they never simply analyse why they like him or her. Well when I like a character, I like to think why I like certain character.
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I've found that I generally like characters that go through a lot
of emotional trauma. To me they are sympathetic and much
more interesting than more "simple" characters. Usually these
characters are younger, teenagers more often than not.

Art style is important when it comes to my favorite
characters. If the artwork in a series is attractive
I find the characters in it to be much more compelling.

Also my opinion of a character doesn't change if they
change from hero to villain and so on.

Examples of characters that I like that fit this description are:
Shinji and Asuka from Evangelion, Fai from Tsubasa Reservoir
Chronicles, and Misuzu Kamio from Air.
TASchwitters

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Looking at my favorites at anime-planet, I'm seeing Asuka Langley Soryu (Eva), Haruko (FLCL), Kazehana (Sekirei), Misato (Eva), Mitsune (Love Hina), and Tsukiumi (Sekirei). Yes, I definitely have a type. Either strong-willed and flirtatious or drunk.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
They're all sexy or cute. Can't get more similar than this!

Oh, wait, I'm quite sure we had a very similar thread recently...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1