• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese SJ Titles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, which titles are running currently in the Japanese version of Shonen Jump? How many pages are in each issue? I know it's weekly, with a chapter for each series.. Do they typically carry alot of different series at once?
milcor1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
There are usually around 20 different series, one chapter each, running in Jump every week but series are always being shuffled around or replaced by new ones based on popularity. If the kiddies don't like a certain manga, then it gets the ol' boot.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't read Japanese, but www.shueisha.so.jp is the company's site. Jump's official site is here. I believe the characters standing in the groups shot are currently serialized, but that's just my speculation based on milcor1's guess on the number of series. Hopefully someone will come by and give an answer in English, but if you're bored...check out the site. When you hover on some of the characters, it's captioned with an exclamation mark, but I have no idea why.
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I bought a copy of "Weekly Shonen Jump" at a Kinokuya Bookstore. My copy is about 466 pages. 15 titles are in my index. Some of the titles are translated, so I'll list a few:
Death Note
D.Gray-man
Mr.FULLSWING
Waqwaq
Saymay
Ichigo 100% (At least that's what I think it is)
Reborn

As well licenced titles, such as:
Eyesheild 21
Bleach
One Piece (With 351 chapters Shocked)
Prince of Tennis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
It should be everything listed here:

manga#1363
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, as much as 20 titles? I can definetly see how some of them would be switched out for more popular ones. Didn't that fate eventually befall Shaman King, when the artist had to pull together a quick ending? And then there's One Piece.... Confused

Quote:
Death Note
D.Gray-man
Mr.FULLSWING
Waqwaq
Saymay
Ichigo 100% (At least that's what I think it is)
Reborn

As well licenced titles, such as:
Eyesheild 21
Bleach
One Piece (With 351 chapters )
Prince of Tennis

Yup, that pretty much looks like what the website presents. Interesting, there are some there I haven't heard of. Waqwaq? *scurries to the encyclopedia*

Quote:
I can't read Japanese, but www.shueisha.so.jp is the company's site. Jump's official site is here. I believe the characters standing in the groups shot are currently serialized, but that's just my speculation based on milcor1's guess on the number of series. Hopefully someone will come by and give an answer in English, but if you're bored...check out the site. When you hover on some of the characters, it's captioned with an exclamation mark, but I have no idea why.

Lol, thanks! Amusing when it undergoes the Babelfish treatment. I clicked around randomly and ending up playing some.. Naruto shooter game? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Kaitou KID

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Waqwaq?

WaqWaq is a manga by Fujisaki Ryu, mangaka of "Houshin Engi". Great manga. Houshin Engi that is.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fujisaki Ryu, mangaka of "Houshin Engi". Great manga. Houshin Engi that is.

HOUSHIN ENGI? Man, I loved the anime. Haven't seen it in years, though... If only the manga would be licensed over here...

Edit: Just checked on Waqwaq in the encyclopedia and it doesn't have an entry. Confused
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

manga#1363
Well, almost everything. Stuff like Hikaru no Go and Yu-gi-oh! are listed, but those stopped already. Jeez, they get a larger magazine weekly than people in the U.S. do in SJ USA. Has anyone seen the latest issue? It's noticibly thinner than a graphic novel.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

manga#1363
Well, almost everything. Stuff like Hikaru no Go and Yu-gi-oh! are listed, but those stopped already. Jeez, they get a larger magazine weekly than people in the U.S. do in SJ USA. Has anyone seen the latest issue? It's noticibly thinner than a graphic novel.

Well, I guess that makes sense, seeing as they list everything that has been in it. At least we can see how much stuff they've had. Oh yeah, I've seen a recent issue of the Japanese SJ, and...it's huge. Shocked
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Oh yeah, I've seen a recent issue of the Japanese SJ, and...it's huge. Shocked
Gee, this makes me wonder...assuming people subscribe, how large are the mailboxes over there?
Cyllthain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
Weekly Jump *is* quite big. ^^ That's why I prefer buying tankoubons over collecting WJ, just because the mags take up so much space...

Anyway, here's the list of everything that's currently being serialized:

Kochikame - ancient series. Over 144 volumes, or something.
One Piece - everyone knows what this is.
The Prince of Tennis - same.
Naruto - same.
Hunter X Hunter - same.
Mr. Fullswing - crack baseball manga. Not bad, if you ask me.
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - more crack than humans can handle.
Bleach - everyone knows what this is.
Ichigo 100% - romance manga. Way too frustrating for me.
Eyeshield 21 - great American football manga.
Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar - weird gag manga with mini-chapters.
Gintama - action/comedy sci-fi/samurai mix. Pretty good.
Death Note - brilliant. Same artist as HnG.
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - crack, but very fun and very funny.
D.Gray-man - excellent, dark adventure manga.
Muhyo to Roji - entertaining magic-themed manga. Great art.
Yuuto - new manga from Hotta Yumi, of HnG fame. About speed skating.
Nougami Neuro - great new detective manga. Lots of potential here.
Kain - very new. Ancient China setting.
Takaya - in-school fighting, a genre I don't like. Also very new.
Kiri Houshi - the third very new manga. Promising adventure story.

And that's about it right now. Recently finished manga include Fujisaki Ryu's Waqwaq, which I really liked, and Nobuhiro Watsuki's (Kenshin) Busou Renkin, a manga that seems extremely cliche from the first two volumes but turns out to be crazy fun and filled to the brim with originality. Extremely underrated, unfortunately.

Before that, we had Mikakunin Shounen Gedoh, and before that we had Shaman King and Black Cat (ending). I think Yu-Gi-Oh! ended around that same time, too.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuuto - new manga from Hotta Yumi, of HnG fame. About speed skating.

Before that, we had Mikakunin Shounen Gedoh, and before that we had Shaman King and Black Cat (ending). I think Yu-Gi-Oh! ended around that same time, too.

Oh wow, I was wondering if Yumi Hotta was going to write a new manga. The premise sounds pretty unexciting, but I loved Hikaru no Go so much that I definitely want to read Yuuto. Is anyone anyone knows doing the art for it and how is it? I doubt Hotta herself is doing the art...

And how was Black Cat? I haven't heard a lot on it, but what I have heard seems like it's in the same book as a GetBackers-esque buddy comedy.
Cyllthain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
I really like what I've read of Yuuto (the first seven chapters in English, then the next eight or nine in Japanese even though I don't know Japanese) so far. It feels similar enough to HnG to draw all us HnG fans in, but it's different enough so that we fans can safely say Hotta-sensei is not simply doing the same thing again. Yuuto is the artist's first work (I don't recall the artist's name). His character designs are simple and rather kiddy but their flaws are negligible. Unfortunately for Yuuto, it's been the bottom-most manga (thus, the least popular) in Weekly Jump for weeks now. Which is really surprising, considering who the manga is coming from...

As for Black Cat, I don't know, since I never read past the first volume. It's been compared to Cowboy Bebop and GetBackers the most (you yourself mentioned the latter), so I guess that gives you an idea of what it's like. Gonzo will be producing an anime later this year so you may want to check that out and see if you like it. Seeing as it's Gonzo, though, I'm sure that very little of what happens in the anime will actually be based off manga material.

On another note, two new Jump Festa anime OVAs will be announced! These are half-hour adaptations of certain parts of certain Bleach series that eventually lead to full-fledged anime adaptations. The latest Jump Festa OVAs were Ichigo 100% (now a TV series), Eyeshield 21 (now a TV series), and Bleach (now a TV series). See how it is? I'm really excited, personally. Here's my breakdown of the most likely candidates:

Mr. Fullswing - this series has been running longer than ES21, Ichigo, Bleach, and is about as long as Bobobo. All four series have TV adaptations, whereas Misufuru does not. I've been hoping for a TV series for a while, so perhaps my dream of a Mr. Fullswing anime will finally come true?

Gintama - Next issue will also have a "important announcement about Gintama" which would lead one to assume that it will be one of the new Jump Festa anime. It's also the second-in-line after Misufuru for longest-running series (even though it's shorter than all Jump anime adaptations so far - it only has 8 volumes out right now).

Death Note - started the same time as Gintama. I'm not sure how good an anime adaptation of it would be, but who knows...?

Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar - this one has also been running for a while. I think that it, too, started somewhere close to Bobobo and Misufuru, but only has 9 volumes since it's a mini-chapter series. I'm hoping that it's *not* this one, personally.

Busou Renkin - longer than Gintama and Death Note (9 volumes out, 10th coming in two to three months), but it was canceled recently. That is to say, its popularity was *low.* It's still a potential candidate, though, I guess.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
And how was Black Cat? I haven't heard a lot on it, but what I have heard seems like it's in the same book as a GetBackers-esque buddy comedy.
It's like a longer version of Cowboy Bebop. Only, in my opinion, the plot is more connected. And that's as much as I know.
I really want to check out Black Cat when it's liscenced, but I dunno if it'll be 26 eps or a longer series. Hopefully not over 100 eps. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1