• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime titles that confuse you

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aokage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:57 am Reply with quote
it is often said that a "rose by any other name, smells just as sweet." I believe that was from The Merchant of Venice (don't shoot me if I am wrong). But I have come to find that a name is pretty damn important. Take for instance, Bleach. After much deliberation on the subject, I boiled it down to two reasons why it could have that name

1)Ichigo's hair color, though natural, seems to be one that you would get from bleaching your hair
2)Soul reapers cleanse a hollow in the same way that bleach cleanses filth

Some names aren't always so easy to extrapolate. Take for instance, Perfect Blue. The movie is sheer genius. I've often said that if the book were translated into english, that i'd probably read it (which reminds me...I should pick up the Battle Royale novel). However, as awesome a series as it is, I can't seem to figure out why the movie was called Perfect Blue? Any guesses as to why it has that name? Any other anime or manga that have titles that just confuse you?
totalgeek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
I can't answer you question because I haven't seen either of those titles yet.

However, I've always wondered why the heck Trigun is called Trigun! At first, I thought it was a play on the name Shogun, but I'm not 100% on that idea. Also, none of Vash's weapons seems to be called a Trigun, so that possibility is out, as well.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Trigun is easy. He has three guns over the course of the anime. spoiler[His handgun, his arm/gun, and the "angel" gun.]

Though admittedly, there are some really bizarre titles out there.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quote
How about Kiddy Grade and Plastic Little? The first one I can maybe understand a bit, as a lot of the main characters are kiddies, but Plastic Little? What exactly is made of plastic and why is it little? From what I've seen of Satoshi Urushihara's artwork, he seems to like drawing large things that definitely aren't made of plastic Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
I've always wondered about Pita Ten. What does that even mean? If someone knows, please tell me! Is it just gibberish? I've only seen the anime, so maybe the answer is in the manga somewhere, but in the anime at least, there is nothing to indicate why it might be called that or what it means. Anime dazed

I've thought that maybe the Ten could be short for Tenshi (angel), since Misha's an angel. But I don't know if that's right, and I have no clue about the Pita...
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:31 am Reply with quote
What exactly does XXXholic mean anyway? I mean, it has no XXX images....

Last edited by Haiseikoh 1973 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
philg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:31 am Reply with quote
I posted this same topic a while ago asking why Rurouni Kenshin was not named something more suitable like Himura Kenshin. Rurouni apparently is just a bad translation from rounin or ronin which means wandering samurai with no master.
Other titles I wonder about are Full Metal Panic, although I haven't watched the whole series yet I assume it's a pun on Full Metal Jacket the famous Stanley Kubrick film but I could be wrong since Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have many similarities with that film (or does it?).
.Hack//Sign???? I haven't seen all of it so I can't judge yet.
Samurai Champloo?? What is champloo?

I just wish more anime would explain their titles in the same fashion Azumanga Daioh did.. that was hilarious.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:

I just wish more anime would explain their titles in the same fashion Azumanga Daioh did.. that was hilarious.

Or FLCL's explanation. (Or lack thereof.... Laughing )
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:

If you'd paid attention to Azumanga Daioh, you'd know what champloo is Smile It's a regional dish from Okinawa, a kind of stir-fry.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:03 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
I've always wondered about Pita Ten. What does that even mean? If someone knows, please tell me! Is it just gibberish? I've only seen the anime, so maybe the answer is in the manga somewhere, but in the anime at least, there is nothing to indicate why it might be called that or what it means. Anime dazed

I've thought that maybe the Ten could be short for Tenshi (angel), since Misha's an angel. But I don't know if that's right, and I have no clue about the Pita...

I think in english, it translates to "Clinging Angel."
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
What exactly does XXXholic mean anyway? I mean, it has no XXX images....

I don't know what it means, but I read that xxxHolic contains three cross-references (x,x,x) to three other series made by Clamp (respectively these three stories cross eachother in xxxHolic). The three series mentioned were Tsubasa (that's for sure), Lawful Drug and Tokyo Babylon. I haven't read the latter two, can someone confirm this?
Do you think that could be an explanation? Laughing
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
I posted this same topic a while ago asking why Rurouni Kenshin was not named something more suitable like Himura Kenshin. Rurouni apparently is just a bad translation from rounin or ronin which means wandering samurai with no master.
Other titles I wonder about are Full Metal Panic, although I haven't watched the whole series yet I assume it's a pun on Full Metal Jacket the famous Stanley Kubrick film but I could be wrong since Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have many similarities with that film (or does it?).
.Hack//Sign???? I haven't seen all of it so I can't judge yet.

Rurouni Kenshin - Kenshin is his name, Rurouni is a word made up by the creator meaning 'wanderer', based on the word ronin.

Samurai Champloo - Champloo means 'mix' so the title translates to Samurai Mix which has to do with the hip-hop/rap theme

Full Metal Panic - Yeah, I'm thinking the FMJ pun. Weird title, can't think of a correlation. But a FMJ is a bullet encased in copper so for Fullmetal Alchemist, it could be referencing the fact that uh...Ed lost a lot of his limbs? No idea really.

.hack//sign - no idea.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
FLCL, particularly Fooly Cooly, is a particular term that references to women's breasts somehow. I think it is mentioned on the encyclopedia page on FLCL in the trivia.

--EDIT--
Direct from FLCL's trivia:
Quote:
Fooly cooly (pronounced "foo-ree coo-ree") is a Japanese slang term for groping a woman's breasts."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm positive I read an article about Perfect blue in Manga Max or Animania or one of those defunct anime mags in which Satoshi Kon stated he had no idea what the title Perfect Blue actually meant. Maybe the answer is in the novel and Kon just overlooked or forgot it...

Rurouni Kenshin is so names so that I can amuse my self by singing "My Rurouni has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
keichi san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Call me dense , but I've wondered about Cowboy Bebop.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6