• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Artbooks

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone own an artbook for certain series? I've noticed that Viz has a small collection of manga artbooks and became interested. The only one I own is The Art of Inu-Yasha but I really love it. It's great to see Inu-Yasha's color pages reprinted in some form, and Rumiko Takahashi's watercolors looks so fantastic on nice glossy paper... Also, the interviews are pretty fun to read.

The only other one I'm considering though is The Art of Porco Rosso, because I just watched that film and LOVED it. Anyway, it'd be great for some of the other series besides those by Clamp (who have their own library of artbooks) published here. I've had my eye on that Naruto artbook in Japan for quite a while... *drool*
Kaitou KID

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
I have the Detective Conan Complete Color Works 1994-2002 artbook. Though I like the artbook [especially the A3 foldouts of the calender art] , I doubt I will buy more artbooks, this one was basically bought on a spur, since I was on vacation in Singapore.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
I have several, like 2 Angel Sanctuary ones, all the Mythical Detective Loki ones, and a couple clamp ones. Only non-imported one I have is the Narumi Kakinouchi/vampire princess Miyu artbook I bought from an Iron Cat booth at a convention.

I'm hoping the companies here will release more art books, because to import them is usually really pricey.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The only one I've got is The Art Of Ranma 1/2 and I love it. It's nice to have a book full of original drawings and stuff like that. I really want to get the InuYasha one as well; plus the Rurouni Kenshin and Fullmetal Alchemist artbooks that were just announced. I hope more companies publish artbooks like Viz because they're a nice addition.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop has published a number of CLAMP ones. I think ADV said they were going to start eventually, but I could be wrong on that.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Huh, well I own sometin` like a artbook. Basically it is called a film book and is just a miniature version of an AB. Its called Gundam Seed: Destiny. It features a few characters profiles and, whats most important and what made me buy it in the first place, it has detailed, beautifuly colorful pictures of Gundams!! Some of which I never seen before. Dammit, sometimes I am sucha a mecha freak -_- I dont even like Gundam that much. Yet, those pics just blew me away and I had to have them.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I own an Amano artbook (not technically manga, but whatever) and and plan to get the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou one soon, as well as Katsuya Terada's when it's released in english. The problem I have is that most artbooks I've seen are pretty barren aside from the illustrations. Most people will probobly say "But that's what it's supposed to be", but I'd rather buy something like the Usagi Yojimbo artbook that really gives alot of insight into Stan Sakai's creative process than something with only pretty pictures and some brief text.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem I have is that most artbooks I've seen are pretty barren aside from the illustrations. Most people will probobly say "But that's what it's supposed to be", but I'd rather buy something like the Usagi Yojimbo artbook that really gives alot of insight into Stan Sakai's creative process than something with only pretty pictures and some brief text.

I agree, the best artbooks are accompanied by commentary as well as illustrations. That's why I would rather wait for an artbook to be released in English than import the Japanese(I can't read Japanese): I want to have some insight into the artists's ideas and creative process as well as look at the purdy pictures. Very Happy
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Let's see, I have 2 of Fushigi Yugi, 1 of E'S. 1 of Persona, 1 of Full Metal Alchemist and 1 random artbook that I cannot identify. ^^;
red stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I have two Cowboy Bebop art books (The After & The Wind), plus the Tokyo Pop TV Guides, and the Japanese Movie Guide. I also have a book about Ghibli featuring Howl's Moving Castle, but it's just a book with lots of full colour pictures rather than a true art book.

I love "The Wind" beacuse apart from a few short interviews at the back, it's Bi-lingual! Each picture has an informative caption, written by the show's character designer. And the pictures are great too!
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'm pondering getting the Kozue Amano art books (author of Aria) but they are quite expensive - about $40 plus shipping from Japan. However, from what I have seen online they are quite worth it.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
All 4 Volumes of the Intron Depot Series.
cell21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Last year picked up Fruit Basket Artbook (Hugs it) very rare book with all the detailed pictures of Kyo and the gang .Yeah!!!.Along with two Neon Genesis artbooks one named Die Sterne and Der Mond high quailty artbooks indeed. I used to have the Full Metal Acheimist Artobook but i sold it off for $120 on ebay.Good price!!!!This year i'm goinig to try and find Bleach Artbook.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Strange, I was just thinking of starting a similar thread. As of yet, the only translated artbook I own is the one for Ayashi no Ceres. However, I most definitely intend on purchasing the English version of "Angel Cage," the first collection of illustrations for Angel Sanctuary, when Viz releases it (the date is set for this summer, I believe).

As for Japanese artbooks, I only have three - 2 for Angel Sanctuary and one for Nana. (I also have various collections of artprints and postcards, which I prefer slightly over artbooks). Still, I have loads more that are on my wishlist, and they're just waiting to be bought. Unfortunately, I always seem to be low on money, and buying manga artbooks is not one of my priorities. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1