• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT: Disney/Hollywood article-Differences in anime marketing?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I know this has little to do with anime, but I thought this article was so interesting I wanted to share it with you all:

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=2758

It's basically about Disney's "formula" when marketing films and how it has been adapted by Hollywood. (Most of the meat is in the last 2/3 of the article). I have to say, the summary of Pixar studio's future prospects made me a little sad.

Reading this made me think: what are the intentions of film/animation companies in Japan? How similar or different is it to Hollywood, whose ultimate goal is to draw as many people as it can to the theater on opening weekend and sell lots of merchandise? How many companies are really concerned with the quality of the story being told and how many just want to make a profit?

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Reading this made me think: what are the intentions of film/animation companies in Japan? How similar or different is it to Hollywood, whose ultimate goal is to draw as many people as it can to the theater on opening weekend and sell lots of merchandise? How many companies are really concerned with the quality of the story being told and how many just want to make a profit?

Thoughts?

Well, I think that Japan has a similar strategy, but that's the business world. I'm reminded of a joke in a column by humorist Dave Barry who talked about the insurance industry taking your money, but never wanting to pay any compensation out because that is certainly not the reason they went into the insurance business in the first place Laughing There are long lines to see the opening of movies in Japan just as there are long lines to see movies here on opening day. And once they get your money, why should they care about you anymore? It's almost as if, no matter how bad the movie is, they know you'll come back to see another one of their movies anyway.

For me, the Hollywood business model, such as it is, is why I have not watched a movie from Hollywood in almost two years. Honestly, the last two movies I saw, Pirates of the Carribean and the third installment of American Pie had some of the worst acting I have ever seen. I did see these in the theatre and that's part of the reason I do not like American movies. Paying $8 or more to see a movie that will cost you double just to buy a few months later. And what if the movie is no good? I'd rather rent a movie for $1 then go to a theatre anymore.

Actually I have not watched any modern American movies, those from the mid-90's to the present. Movies that came before Independence Day have, for the most part, very good acting. IMHO, I believe that this movie had a large effect on Hollywood. Big Budget, computer generated movies where all the money goes into the "awesome" special effects and has the actors staring in awe at all the "incredible" things happening around them. I'd rather watch a classic movie that involves more story-telling than watch the computer generated stuff of today.

To me, anime is very unique in storytelling and acting. I know that I am totally biased towards anime, but I really enjoy watching everything that Japan sends our way. It's now been like a month since I have watched American television. I don't even watch Adult Swim anymore because I want to watch anime on DVD so I get the full experience. I'd rather watch a bad anime movie or series than any modern American movie or series.
Silverwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
The anime like movies that are from Diney are the ones from Hayao Miyazaki like Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service and recently Howal's Moving Castle.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
Internationally all companies seek profits, and they seek as much profit as they can obtain as fast as they obtain it. No matter how much we enjoy something chances are it has a corporate side to it, and the realities of that business portion are usually less than admirable.

As for the comments on american films, I think you're going quite a bit overboard. American Pie? Bad acting? Obviously, what'd you expect from such a movie? I personally love Pirates of the Caribbean, not the greatest acting but was still on par if you ask me. Anime is far from perfect as well, I may be an anime fan but I'd have to say at least 70-80 percent of the anime that is out there is complete crap which is about equivalent to Hollywood productions. I think there's plenty of Hollywood studios that do care about what they put on the screen, I think they care more about that the more recent years than they did in the 80's and 90's when the mindless action movies and terrorist flicks dominated the box office.

I love anime, and I may have as many anime DVD's as american movie DVD's, maybe more, but I don't believe there's no such thing as a good american movie. That's just allowing myself to be too completely jaded. I may have found myself disappointed by quite a few american films, but honestly I've probably been disappointed by just as many anime titles. The road goes both ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1