• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime music as a factor of learning Japanese

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack781217

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Do you like Japanese anime songs so much that you want to learn Japanese just to understand them?

The truth is that you don't need to know Japanese to understand an anime song, as you can probably request translation somewhere like animelyrics.com, but do you ever have the desire to want to understand a song by just reading its lyric in Kanji? Or, when you listen to OP/ED animation, do you want to actually understand them instead of just knowing the "sound" of the lyric?

For me, there was a period of time when I just sang anime songs by memorizing it in romanji and reading english/chinese translation. But then, I felt kind of void to not be able to know the meaning of the song in its original form...so therefore began my Japanese-self-learning journey...
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I started out like that too. I just heard the songs and didn't really listen, but since I understand the Japanese language more than ever (and that knowledge grows every day) I am more or less able to grasp the meaning behind the music. Of course, there are times when I don't understand the song fully, so I do some research and when I finally do understand, I start to like the song even more. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Before I used to speak Japanese, I thought my grandma was talking in some sort of jabber talk and my brother and I used to laugh at it. In a way listening to Japanese music helps you to understand it more, but you have to careful cause these days pop culture of US of A has infiltrated Japanese music. Now there's English in Japanese songs. When I listen to it, I can understand exactly what's being said, but I wouldn't be able to translate it into English.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
It's funny that you mention this now. Right now I'm going back and watching some of my favorite old anime series including Fushigi Yuugi. When I started watching this series I would try to sing along with the lyrics of Tokimeki no Dokasen by reading the Japanese. It was a horrible way to try and teach myself kana, but eventually it inspired me to take a class and really hunker down and learn Japanese. So I guess I fit squarely in the camp of "wanting to learn Japanese for songs."

I would say that I've grown out of it but most of my Japanese reading and writing practice nowadays comes from translating Japanese song lyrics so I suppose I'm still in that camp a little bit. Smile

EDIT: I would also add that having practiced Japanese through music my pronounciation has improved greatly. All my Japanese co-workers say that I have perfect pronounciation and I attribute that to having started with music and karaoke.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I became interested in the language and culture because of anime and manga, but it isn't my motivation anymore. I use Japanese music to help me study Japanese rather than as a motivation to learn Japanese because since I learn independently and do not know anybody who speaks fluent Japanese in real life, it is one of the few ways I have to practice what I have learned. It not only helps my accent and pronunciation (something I've been desperately needing work on lately), but it's fun to be able to just listen to the song without having to bother to look up a translation. I also find Japanese music to be useful when learning to read kana because I force myself to learn a new song by using the Japanese lyrics rather than the romaji lyrics more often nowadays. I think, in a way, it's easier to enjoy some things in a foreign language when you can understand it without the use of another translation on hand.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I had to do some re-writes before I posted this post. So for me Anime music totally is a factor for learning Japanese language. I started my interest listening to anime music since I heard Japanese OP, a beautiful OP that clears my mind and a relaxing feeling of course. Then after that, I was being obssesed and enthralled by its language, so after being obssesed I started to learn Japanese Language through internet, It's Basics though, but it doesn't matter. I speak nihonggo to my friends, Damn those practices! I hope I have to get the right pronunciation, the right word, not only by the way to speak and also the way to write. I hope to find some friends who're Fluently Speaking and good in writing Japanese language and to talk to them or teach me on how to use such languange. I want to learn the Japanese language to listen modern music J-melo,J-pop and etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jack781217

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad knowing so many people like me @@"...just get obsessed with Japanese because of musics Cool

Trying to learn a song from romanji is a pain for me...I couldn't distinguish individual syllibles that easily...and I couldn't understand any word in their romanji forms... Embarassed

Ahh...how I long for a fluent Japanese-speaking friend! I never get to know the right accent for words...let alone the accent for the whole sentence... Crying or Very sad

I guess I have the advantage of knowing Chinese, as many kanas have sounds like that in Chinese Laughing
brad12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Actually I am learning japanese language since last one month, guess I got one website which explain in descriptive manner. About japanese anime it is great experience to learn japanese language with anime, it is exciting.

learn japanese
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1