• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inuyasha Ep. 11 and Spirited Away

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:41 am Reply with quote
I just watched Episode 11 of Inuyasha and the Nikuzuki nou-men or whatever it was called, is the exact same character or monster as the No-Face monster in Spirited Away. Did Miyazaki just copy the exact same monster? Or is there an actuall Japanese monster in a myth or legend that is a nikuzuki nou-men?
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
philg wrote:
I just watched Episode 11 of Inuyasha and the Nikuzuki nou-men or whatever it was called, is the exact same character or monster as the No-Face monster in Spirited Away. Did Miyazaki just copy the exact same monster? Or is there an actuall Japanese monster in a myth or legend that is a nikuzuki nou-men?

Can you give some details to the monster's appearance and/or the InuYasha ep.? My memory is fuzzy and the monster isn't popping up. Question
Aicerg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The Noh mask is an allusion, of course, to Japanese Kabuki thearter where they were commonly used. However, what the monster of the Noh mask alludes to is the Japanese myth of how the masks used in thearter eventually gain a spirit or soul of their own, which may or may not make them dangerous. In both cases, as you saw, this proved to be a bad thing. However, whether or not Miyazaki copied from Takahashi is irrelevant. The Noh mask is open game.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Both monsters are based on the Noh mask, explaining the similarity. But there is no need to think that one copied from the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1