• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kai Doh Maru Translation

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
A review is going to be posted sometime next week about this anime title, but both myself and my editor are at a loss for what the title actually means. (i.e. How would it translate?)

I know it has something to do with "circle," but my knowledge of Japanese is extremely limited. Can any of our more fluent forumites help out on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
According to the title given in the Encyclopedia (怪童丸), I am not able to provide an specific translation.

怪 (Kai) - In this case, means "suspicious" or "mysterious".
童 (Doh) - In this case, means related to juvenile & young people.
丸 (Maru) - As you said, means circle.

I haven't seen Kai Doh Maru. I hope this clues might help you. I would say: The circle of mysterious young people. However, I guess you'll be able to find a better way to translate it, making it more fidel to the plot.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The title refers to a girl (who could pass for a boy) who has gone somewhat wild living in the woods and has a yin-yang tattoo on one arm, so I suppose something like "Mysterious Circled Juvenile" might be a rough approximation, even though it sounds clumsy.

Thanks for the help! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see. I thought it was a group of young people doing some kind of suspicious and dark activies. Now I understand what the title refers to. Forget my suggestion. Misterious Circled juvenile sounds good to me Anime smile
Aicerg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I've seen "Kai Doh Maru". You're right on with what you're talking about. The main character, the girl Kintoki IS adversely known as "Kai Doh Maru". However, the actual title for the movie "Kai Doh Maru" isn't neccesarily meant to be translated. 'Kai Doh Maru' is really just a title of infamy given to the main character. So, I guess if you really want to, you could translate 'Kai Doh Maru' into Misterious Circle of Juveniles, but that really wasn't the intent of the creators.
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
In Japanese singular/plural is totally contextual. So it could be, Mysterious Circle of Juvenilles or Mysterious Circled Juvenile. Based on the context you've described, I'd go with the latter.

All the Best,

Nani?
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
In Japanese singular/plural is totally contextual. So it could be, Mysterious Circle of Juvenilles or Mysterious Circled Juvenile. Based on the context you've described, I'd go with the latter.

All the Best,

Nani?

I totally agree with you. That's why I said:

I haven't seen Kai Doh Maru. I hope this clues might help you. However, I guess you'll be able to find a better way to translate it, making it more fidel to the plot.

It's important to know what are you translating before translating Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1