• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Silver Spoon (Gin no Saji)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drdr48

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Weekly Shonen Sunday thought they've got a hit in their hands, but - unfortunately - if the first chapter is any indication, they were wrong.

Don't get me wrong, it was okay but not what I was expecting from the author.

I was bored, to be honest.

I can't imagine it becoming a hit, it doesn't seem to have a broad appeal and I can't imagine that the first chapter will make anyone to want to continue follow it.

Hack, I don't even want to read the next chapter.

What do you think?

Are you agree?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
If you don't like Slice of Life Comedies, you won't like Silver Spoon. It doesn't matter if it's from the author of Fullmetal Alchemist or not.

I happen to enjoy SoL Comedies, which are very common in Shonen Sunday, and I'm perfectly okay with Silver Spoon. It has a very large cast (Arakawa is very good at cast building), a hilarious protagonist, and a setting that hasn't been done very much in manga.

Arakawa worked on an epic shonen series for nine years, so give her a break. Every author tends to work on a different genre after ending a successful series. Some people doubted that Bakuman would catch on, and now Bakuman is longer, selling better, and will soon have more Anime episodes than Death Note.
shinhaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love this manga! The author definitely lives up to her fame

Here's a short review that I wrote for the series

An ongoing manga by the author of Full Metal Alchemist. To tell the truth I've never read that series even after hearing so much about it but I'm thinking of reading it now after reading Gin no Saji. This is one of the best shounen manga I've read in years. It was even awarded the 5th Manga Taishō award. It's the first manga that I actually re-read the vols 3 times while waiting for the next chapter to come out. The story is about a city boy who went to an agricultural studies high school in Hokkaido just so that he can be away from his parents. The main character, Hachiken who does not know what is it he wants to do struggles to adapt to the new environment which is completely from what he's used to.

This manga is refreshing, humorous, and by that I mean you will find yourself rolling on the floor laughing while reading this manga. Most of all this manga is very informative. The author was born and lived in Hokkaido for 8 years. She grew up helping out her family who owns a farm so you can expect a lot of info about the farming life and agricultural issues in Hokkaido. The best thing that this manga depicts is not just the handwork the farmers put into growing and cultivating their crops and dairy products but also the eating culture which will definitely make you go hungry. When I was reading this manga I seriously considered going to volunteer working on a farm in Hokkaido.

The latest chapter is ch 48 which has already been translated into English. That's also the latest chapter in Japan. Just in case you don't know, Gin no Saji means silver spoon.

Originally posted on Vingle.net
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
The only reason I'm continuing with Silver Spoon is because of the shiptease between main male character Hachiken and ...

Freckled pig-tailed girl Yoshino. I love these "Oh crap, what's going on with characters" plot hiccups and I find dairy girl far more interesting than target love interest horse girl. And it's not as if the guy even notices that she's been following him around since the incident about the smoked cheese.

It's not laugh out loud funny nor is a "how to" guide on farming {thankfully} but it's something inbetween. It's not awesomely award-winningly amazing but it's ... ok. But I don't have an ax to grind about modern Japan so what do I know?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1