• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The price of anime DVDs...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaronNoir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that this is...exploitation, most of the time.

Regular anime shows (24 minutes) generally have three to five episodes DVDs. A five episode DVD is pretty decent (altought I should not that a DVD pack of the Simpsons, with THREE sounds tracks, perfect transfer, hold 24 episodes for something like 1.5 times the price of an anime DVD...) altought that's make the minute of entertainement pretty expensive. But a THREE episodes DVDs (Kiddy Grade, for instance, otherwise excellent) is really too expensive...

And the worst point is that ADV proves regularly that it's stuff did not cost so much to produce by making packs that are much less expensive : for instance, I bought half of Nadia (5 dvds, 2 soundtracks cds. Agreed, the music of Nadia is not EVA, far from it, but...) for 50 $...canadian. And there is such packs for Vandread, Kurumi, Bubblegum Crisis...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The market for anime on DVD is very niche compared to the market for The Simpsons or Family Guy on DVD, so the economics of scale doesn't kick in to the same degree and you end up paying more per episode.

But anime is still a bargain compared to the old days, when $30 SRP for two dubbed episodes on VHS was not uncommon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
If you think the price of anime DVDs is "exploitation" in the States, then go shopping for some in Japan. They cost considerably more, so we're getting them comparatively cheap.

Anime DVDs will always cost more because you have both licensing and translation/dubbing costs to consider which producers of American-originating DVDs generally don't have to worry about. Anime also is not a huge DVD seller in the grand scheme of DVD sales, so companies producing anime DVDs for the American market can't sell stuff cheap and rely on mass sales even to break even, much less make a profit. These lower-priced rerelease are only feasible because most of the up-front costs were covered the first time around.

Yes, I was annoyed by Kiddy Grade only having three eps per DVD, though the cost was generally lower ($24.95 MSRP, I think) and I could generally find them at reduced price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BaronNoir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. To what I know, Elfen Lied and Kiddy Grade were released in TWO episodes DVDs in Japan

(At this stade, it's really tempting the devil...I mean, Japanese got those shows on TV, and I guess they have also P2P...)

As I said, a four-five episode DVD is not angering me. But a THREE episode DVD, yes, especially considering that it's sold at the SAME PRICE than the five episode one, despite the fact that it have 40% less content ! (For Kiddy Grade, this is not applying. But for Evangelion, Noir, yes...)

The problem is that, to be opposed to those prices, there is...free anime...basically.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
BaronNoir wrote:
But a THREE episodes DVDs (Kiddy Grade, for instance, otherwise excellent) is really too expensive...

How about ~US$60 for a single ~30 minutes episode OVA? That's pretty the standard price and format for most OVA DVDs in Japan.

Since Key is here, I'll take her Wink as an example. The complete collection of Key the Metal Idol is between US$39.98 to $49.98 in US, but in Japan it's ¥30,000 (US$288.38, as of today). Those who have watched Key should know where this price tag came from.... Cool

Sometimes, stuffing too many episodes into one DVD might enrage dedicated fans, like Juuni Kokki R3 release with 7 discs in 2 boxes. Fans wanted genuine Akihiro Yamada's cover art and they only got 2 out of 16 -- they were furious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Not all dvd prices are bad, Zoids though not popular as I probably think it is, I enjoy it. And ther are 6 episodes per disc. 6!!! and the dvds are cheap, $11!!!!!. Doubt you'll find a good series like that for that cheap.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Although I agree that sometimes anime dvds just seem too expensive, especially for little content, I try not to let it get me down. If you really want to save some money on your favorite anime, then what I suggest is to wait 1 or 2 months after it's released, then go buy a barely used dvd for 8-15 dollars. This may seem to be pretty cheap on my side, but it lets me afford all the anime I want. As a matter of fact, I found some barely used dvds of GTO, Initial D, and others at half-priced books (I'm not advetising, I'm just saying, is all), for 8-10 bucks a box, 12 for a box set. Even though some were pretty old its better for me cause I'm poor. (wait that's not a good thing Anime cry )
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anime DVDs will always cost more because you have both licensing and translation/dubbing costs to consider which producers of American-originating DVDs generally don't have to worry about. Anime also is not a huge DVD seller in the grand scheme of DVD sales, so companies producing anime DVDs for the American market can't sell stuff cheap and rely on mass sales even to break even, much less make a profit. These lower-priced rerelease are only feasible because most of the up-front costs were covered the first time around.

To back up what Key has mentioned, I will base my comments on the Bryan Reesman article "Disc-y Business" found in Anime Insider #20. According to Reesman's article, which can be found on pp. 12-13, here's how a potential box set for a 22-episode "popular" anime series is broken down (all figures are in US dollars):

Licensing - $50,000 per episode ($1.1 million)
Dubbing - $12,000 per episode ($264,000)
Authoring - $5,000 per DVD ($30,000 for a 6-disc set)
Quality Control - $1,000 per DVD ($6,000)
Material Costs - $3,000 per DVD ($18,000)
Marketing - $15,000 per box set
Total cost = $1,433,000 per unit

Factor in manufacturing ($10 per box set) and royalties ($5 per set), and spread it out over 15,000 units, that comes to around $96 per unit. After offering an average 50% wholesale discount to retailers, an anime company will need to jack up the price to $200 in order to make a $100 profit. American TV shows don't have the same problems as anime series because as both Key and the Reesman article stated, American shows do not have to pay translation or dubbing costs since they were covered during TV broadcasting (through commercials and the like). For a show like The Simpsons, FOX doesn't have to pay a licensing fee since they own the property, whereas a company like ADV pays from $1 million to $2.6 million per anime series (as stated in this article from Forbes.com).

As for Kiddy Grade, my local Best Buy sells the discs for $16.99, which is 33% less than the MSRP ($24.99). Best Buy is also selling Gantz for $11.99, which is 33% less than the MSRP ($17.99). Note that this is not the case for all series. Case in point: Best Buy only discounts R.O.D. 16% off the MSRP (from $29.99 to $24.99).

The bottom line is: Be smart. Sometimes it is cheaper to rent some anime discs, and buy them at the most 50% off the MSRP should you want to keep them. Use the Releases section of the ANN Encyclopedia to do some price comparison.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think those figures are arbitrary, I think they're meant to give fans a rough idea into what anime companies have to deal with in setting prices.

I've heard the licensing fees for many popular series, even 26-episode ones, can be several times the $1.1 million figure given there.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
The bottom line is: Be smart. Sometimes it is cheaper to rent some anime discs, and buy them at the most 50% off the MSRP should you want to keep them. Use the Releases section of the ANN Encyclopedia to do some price comparison.

I agree, especially since anime pricing is still all over the board in many cases.

On the low end, you have Gantz. The DVDs are $17.99 per volume with each volume only having 2 episodes. So, getting the first 4 episodes (Volumes 1 and 2) cost $35.98US (and that's unless you pay an extra $10 for the box). A few extra bucks for what looks like a good anime isn't bad, and if you buy one and don't like it, $18US is not a bad price.

Most DVD's fall within the mid-range of $29.99US for a DVD with anywhere from 4-6 episodes (if it's a TV series) or one (sometimes two) movies. Evangelion Platinum is proving to be a good one in this category, especially since you are getting Director's Cut and Original episodes all in one for Volumes 6 and 7 -- which means you are technically getting six episodes for the price of three ($29.99US).

On the high end is FLCL. FLCL is $29.99US per disc, but like Gantz, it's only 2 episodes per disc. This means that, if you want all six episodes, you would have to put up over $90US ($89.97 + Tax) just to get all of FLCL. Unless you are sure about buying it, that's a lot to ask of people for what boils down to only six total episodes (especially now that Gantz is priced at almost half FLCL's going price). Confused

Then you have the "really out there" one: The World of Narue Boxset: $79.99US for 12 episodes. The normal box set price for 13 episodes and below has been at least $15-20 lower than that (usually $59.99US), and Narue just hasn't really been as popular as many other animes -- probably for this very reason.

So, one has to wonder sometimes whether there will ever be a real norm in anime pricing with all of these companies shifting prices most of the time?

(Note: My pricing info above has been based on pricing at both the retail-price range in movie-specialty stores that sell tons of anime to the discounters like Best Buy and Walmart.)
Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I know what you mean but what you gotta do is shop around. Look on ebay for legitamate stuff and you will find some of the cheapest prices around. You can also find many specials on discound dvd type websites
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
As someone mentioned (sorry, didn't catch the name) Best Buy is a good place to shop. I just saw some Twelve Kingdoms dvds (msrp 29.95) there for about 17.99. Economics apply to this well, because a store like Best Buy is bound to make more sales than a specialty store like Suncoast - rip-off ville! - and comic book stores. Since they're going to sell more units, they can afford to sell them for cheaper.

And if you really want to be cheap, buy used dvds. I've never had a problem with the used anime I bought at independent record stores, and it was hella cheap. 8 bucks for a Boogiepop Phantom dvd. Sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I first started buying anime at Suncoast and stores that have now been swallowed up by Suncoast. Then I bought a few, like Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade on the Suncoast website. Finally I found other sites that were much cheaper. A few years ago Suncoast's website sold only at regular price, no real discount.

Then I go to CD Japan and find how incredibly crazy it is to purchase a DVD from them. To get the whole series of Gits:SAC here, even the special DVDs with the DTS version and other goodies attached, would be about $350US at regular price. On CD Japan with only 2 shows per regular DVD and spanning 13 DVDs will cost, at the current exchange rate, $750 US. Plus you would need a region 2 or region 0 DVD player even to watch them. So even buying the special DVDs here is a bargain compared to what Japan has to pay for them.

We should all be thanking our lucky stars lol
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
I first started buying anime at Suncoast and stores that have now been swallowed up by Suncoast. Then I bought a few, like Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade on the Suncoast website. Finally I found other sites that were much cheaper. A few years ago Suncoast's website sold only at regular price, no real discount.

Then I go to CD Japan and find how incredibly crazy it is to purchase a DVD from them. To get the whole series of Gits:SAC here, even the special DVDs with the DTS version and other goodies attached, would be about $350US at regular price. On CD Japan with only 2 shows per regular DVD and spanning 13 DVDs will cost, at the current exchange rate, $750 US. Plus you would need a region 2 or region 0 DVD player even to watch them. So even buying the special DVDs here is a bargain compared to what Japan has to pay for them.

We should all be thanking our lucky stars lol

Ah, shipping kills you on CdJapan too. (I buy J-rock there, occasionally.) YesAsia will generally do you better, since they give you free shipping if you spend at least $39 US. Which isn't hard to rack up.

Yes, prices are cheaper here, but if you compare Japanese anime to Japanese movies, tv series on dvd, etc., you'll find that there's not a huge difference like there is here. So I guess that those prices could be considered 'regular', as opposed to here where Anime is generally more expensive than other items. It's not that anime in particular is more expensive there, it seems that everything simply is, due to the inflation.

So, I wonder if anime started to cost more than regular dvds in Japan, would it still sell in the same numbers as it does now? An average American dvd is, eh, around 20 bucks US. Amine dvds are on Average 30 bucks. That's %150 percent of the normal. From What I've seen on cd Japan and YesAsia, Japanese dvds, movies and etc., are usually around 45 bucks, and anime is generally the same. What if anime where suddenly %150 percent of the regular - 77+ US? Would people still buy it there?

What I'm saying is that maybe, just maybe if the prices were lowered here, more people would buy the anime. I don't blame companies for not wanting to take the risk, but I wonder what would be the outcome...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I don't think those figures are arbitrary, I think they're meant to give fans a rough idea into what anime companies have to deal with in setting prices.

You're right. Wink What I posted was just an example that was given in the Anime Inside article. But you can see that about 90-95% of all the cost of an anime series goes towards licensing and dubbing.

Glory Questor wrote:
On the high end is FLCL. FLCL is $29.99US per disc, but like Gantz, it's only 2 episodes per disc. This means that, if you want all six episodes, you would have to put up over $90US ($89.97 + Tax) just to get all of FLCL. Unless you are sure about buying it, that's a lot to ask of people for what boils down to only six total episodes (especially now that Gantz is priced at almost half FLCL's going price).

No offense to Synch-Point, but $15 per episode is a little too steep for me, no matter how good a series is (and FLCL is a great series), and that's why I currently don't have the discs in my collection. I doubt that they will release the series on one disc, but it would be nice that they did. Idea

Glory Questor wrote:
Then you have the "really out there" one: The World of Narue Boxset: $79.99US for 12 episodes. The normal box set price for 13 episodes and below has been at least $15-20 lower than that (usually $59.99US), and Narue just hasn't really been as popular as many other animes -- probably for this very reason.

I'm glad you provided a direct link to the World of Narue release page, because I was able to go back to last year's Shelf Life that contained the Narue review, in which Bamboo wrote:

Shelf Life #53 wrote:
I can’t fathom why in the world Central Park Media would release an Anime Test Drive DVD of the first episode... and then sell the entire series as a box set. Why would anyone buy a box set of an anime series they’ve never seen before based on one episode? Ugh. To be fair, World of Narue is certainly a cute enough series that warrants a quick view, but it’s probably not worth the $80 that CPM is asking for it right off the bat.

I haven't seen Narue yet, but in relation to what I mentioned in my earlier post, this is a perfect series for me to rent first, and then buy the discs if I like it enough to consider adding to my collection. It might be cheaper for me to do it that way than to drop $80 for a series I never seen before. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3