• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will it one day, be the "IT" thing to be an Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maccers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering, do you guys think that maybe in a few years that it will be the "Cool" thing to like anime?.

For example, until a 2 or 3 years ago, video gaming was considered "Nerdy" and "Un-Cool", yet now, every one is getting in on the action, Celebritys are openly admitting to be gaming fans and video game sales have made a phenomenal jump north.

So, do you think that in a few years that it might become "Cool" and "Hip" to like anime?.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I think we're probably at or nearing the high water mark for "coolness" already. Anime is as "cool" as it ever will get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion anime is at it's height of "coolness" for the masses. However, I will probably like anime for a long time and it, at the moment, can only get better (for myself anyways).
Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I really dont know. It may be possible....maybe. The way I see it if it ever becomes cool its because it becomes as mainstream here as it is in Japan. Im sure there are places here and there were anime is "cool" but actually if something is liked by everyone it is no longer "cool" but an accepted fact of life. Video games are not really cool as you say it but have become normal..the only reason some people have a problem with them is because they take away the attention from peoples wives, lives, girlfriends, family,etc. BUt thats just my opinion
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think anime is at about its height of coolness. Sooner or later those anime fans will want to learn Japanese and domestic releases of manga will probably be going down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Theowne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Slayer wrote:
because it becomes as mainstream here as it is in Japan.

Anime isn't mainstream in Japan......it's pretty much the same as in America, only kids freely watch anime, anyone older hides the fact that they watch anime because it is embaressing.
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I remember having these same discussions a few years ago on this same forum.

Now (not much) older and wiser, I'll have to agree with everyone else. It looks like anime's not going to become uber-mainstream like I had feared about a year ago, so yeah, anime's at the heighth of it's coolness right now.

-R3x
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
No, anime will in the near future become the coolest thing evar, redifining the very concept of coolness and recreating Hollywood into its image. This will happen right before sociey reorganizes itself along anime principles Jovian Lizard style. Cool
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 reasons why anime will never be cool to the ignorant masses out there.

10. the term "anime influenced" used now to describe movies and TV shows that have exaggerated action scenes.
9. AMV, fanfics, and cosplays- outsiders will always say WTF.
8. "anime: not your daddys cartoons" "or anime is not just for kids, adults are doing it too" messages in the media.
7. Pokemon, and Yu gi oh.
6. Possible bad dubbing ticks off off more folks that have seen the anime in japanese than those who have not. And they are very vocal.
5. No Menchi caps sold at Nordstroms.
4. A frightful man dressed as Faye Valentine or Sailor Moon is more frightening than army of Klingons anywhere anytime.
3. Snoop Dogg will never host an award show at Otakon.
2. Elitists.
1. Most Americans are irratated by what they don't understand.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
I'll go out on a limb and say that I think Anime will become more popular than it is now, though it will never become completely mainstream.

I think it will become more popular once Japanese artists get as proficient and prolific with 3D animation as studios like Pixar are here in the US. True, we have seen a few 3D Anime films, but the stories were less than stellar and were mostly eye candy. Perhaps if there was a Wolf's Rain or Witch Hunter Robin 3D Anime film it would catch American attention.

And Subbed Anime will NEVER catch on in America. Sorry, but it is true. Americans will read dialogue in a film ONLY if we think it is a potential Oscar contender. So, the dubs will have to improve a little more for Anime to catch on in America. Most Anime dubs are pretty good, these days, but there is still room for improvement.
Lazuright

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
Anime, no matter how many people like it, will always be the best. You can not beat anime!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
Lazuright wrote:
Anime, no matter how many people like it, will always be the best. You can not beat anime!

Actually, yes you can. Easily, depending who you are and what you can do (I'd take Beauty and the Beast over nearly every single anime produced till this day).
AlRayyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
Anime wasn't cool when I started watching is 13 yeas ago, and it definately isn't cool now.

Maybe when the Neon Genesis movie comes out it will get a wider audencie in the movie going public, but cool it will never be. The mainstream just wont watch anything they don't understand or is different, and anime is definately differen when compared to the standard Hollywood fare.

What I do see happening is western studio's copying anime and finding the right formula to sell it to western audiences (ie: dumb it down a whole bit). I think we should all thank our lucky starts that anime is NOT cool here and people are not making anime guest starring Snoop Dogg or NSync (directors who I am referring to know who they are.....)
matticans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
You will know anime is mainstream when you walk over to your high school/college/pro sports team and hear them having an in depth conversation on which anime is better, eva or rah, while at the same time fighting over which sailor scout is the coolest Anime hyper .

Doesn't matter to me though. I am not going anywhere.
Jkid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm not interested in what is cool or not. It's too tweeny for me. As long it's not mostly overrated...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5