• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking For some New Fantasy Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow Lord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I am looking for new anime fantasy TV series.

My favorit animes are (in alphabetical order):

Escaflowne
Fushigi Yuugi
Kenshine
Slayers

I've tried getting into Inuyasha, but for some reason it just doesn't click with me.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
You should try the Twelve Kingdoms, then. It is also a fantasy anime, sorta, a great one I might add.

El HaZard: The Magnificent World is also a good fantasy anime to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Berserk. By far, probably the most violent fantasy anime I've seen. If you don't mind lots of red paint, some nudity, and a little rape, then be prepared for some of the best storytelling out there. This series is really great in terms of character devolpment and so full of plot twists that you can't help but see it through to the end. Of course like a lot of other people, you probably won't like the ending Razz. Trust me though, this is one of those fantasy titles you shouldn't miss.

If you like Escaflowne, try the movie. Not too many people actually like it because it's so different from the TV series, but if you go into seeing it and knowing it's just an alternate universe kind of story and like it for what it is, you may enjoy it. The animation is very smooth, and the art is also nice. I'm glad they changed the character designs to where they at least wouldn't have those really weird noses.

Also try Record of Lodoss War (OAV). This is probably my favorite title in terms of straight up fantasy. If you like the whole Tolkien aura, you'll probably like this a lot, though I haven't seen or read Lord of the Rings Anime smile + sweatdrop.

And finally, for a more supernatural and dramatic feel try X (TV). Aside from having really fluid animation (for a TV series), I especially enjoyed the whole impending Apocolypse theme and melodrama in between.

Other titles that I would suggest but am too lazy to comment on include: Hellsing, Tsukihime, and Vampire Hunter D.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Also try Record of Lodoss War (OAV). This is probably my favorite title in terms of straight up fantasy. If you like the whole Tolkien aura, you'll probably like this a lot, though I haven't seen or read Lord of the Rings Anime smile + sweatdrop.

Also, try Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, which is a version of Record of Lodoss War that is much closer to the manga version. I thought this one was good, and it's required if you want to go into the sequel series, The Legend of Crystania.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Neither Hellsing nor Tsukihime can rightfully be called fantasy anime, at least not in the sense that Shadow Lord is talking about based on his other picks. They're both supernatural titles.

I also strongly recommend Twelve Kingdoms, although I'll caution this is more of a dramatic fantasy series than an action-oriented one. All but its 10th and final volume are currently out on DVD. An upcoming (due in late April) fantasy title that's well worth a look is Scrapped Princess, which is about a girl born a princess who must travel incognito with her adoptive brother and sister because of a prophecy which claims that she's the "poison that will destroy the world" when she turns 16.

Amongst somewhat older fantasy titles Ruin Explorers is good role-play-style fun, while Maze: The Mega-Burst Space is a quirky fantasy series with a couple of really bizarre twists. (The main character is a woman by day and a man by night.) Good luck finding that one in stores, though; you'll probably have to hunt for it online.

And of course there's Miyazaki movies like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away and maybe the just released Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. (Or is that one more sci-fi?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And of course there's Miyazaki movies like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away and maybe the just released Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. (Or is that one more sci-fi?)

Howl's Moving Castle belongs on the list, too.

I believe Nausicaa is supposed to be much like the later Laputa: Castle in the Sky -- kind of a mix of both the fantastic and the modern.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Neither Hellsing nor Tsukihime can rightfully be called fantasy anime, at least not in the sense that Shadow Lord is talking about based on his other picks. They're both supernatural titles.

Hm.. well I always consider supernatural to be a type of fantasy, just look at Berserk. With all the spoiler[demons and stuff] towards the end, you can't necessarily call it pure fantasy either.

But yes, I suggested those last three titles with no comments because they don't quite fit the medieval/fuedual/fantasy genre as most westerners would usually think of (with the royalty and dragons and such) when hearing the word.

A word of advise to Shadow Lord then, those last three titles are about vampires Wink.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I would also recommend The Twelve Kingdoms, it's an amazing anime, and I'm personally very suprised that it isn't very popular here in the US, even though 9 volumes have been released and it's recieved nothing short of stellar reviews.

And Record Of Lodoss War is a classic. The OVA is better than Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, though. The character desgins are much better and the story is much more fluid. Chronicles is supposed to be a sequel to the OVA, but it's full of plotholes and overall just doesn't have the same feel to it.

And of course, Studio Ghibli's films are a must. They're superb.

And while it's not entirely fantasy, I'll also reccomend Yami No Matsuei. It deals with magic and macabre subjects. But be warned, there's a little bit of shounen-ai involved, and the dub is downright TERRIBLE, make sure you get it subbed. Since you like The Slayers, if you want more light-hearted fantasy, Kyo Kara Ma-o is coming out soon, and it looks promising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Chronicles is supposed to be a sequel to the OVA, but it's full of plotholes and overall just doesn't have the same feel to it.

Not necessarily a sequel:

spoiler[The first eight episodes of Chronicles is a complete retelling of the events after the death of Ghim, with the parts of the visit to Shooting Star's lair, the Scepter of Domination, and Wagnard's plans being different from the ending presented in the OAV.

However, unlike the rushed story of the OAV, Chronicles does lengthen and extend the story in a good way.

For example, Neese is now the sacrifice and not Deedlit. Deedlit as the sacrifice doesn't make as as much sense as having the "reincarnated soul" of Kardis' High Priestess awaken in Neese and raise Kardis.

Also, by shifting the focus of the means for Kardis' resurrection, it adds an interesting conflict and destiny that started with the Record of Lodoss War, and now ends within one young woman -- the war of the last two godesses, Life (Marfa) and Destruction (Kardis).]
Shadow Lord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
Hi all, thanks for all of the recommendations! I think I am gonna go with Twelve Kingdoms, it looks really interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1