• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Speakers With Free Time

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeahjesse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly, this post does not directly relate to anime. If this is a complete nuisance, say so. I'm about to seek out a forum that may directly relate to my inquiry (is it 'inquery'?).

I'm learning Japanese. I started yesterday. I'm using the Learn Japanese: New College Text series. If any of you know Japanese WELL and are willing to talk to me occasionally using AIM (or any other messaging program - I'm willing to install them if nessecary) or e-mail, reply.

As of now, I relate what I'm learning to anime and listen to dialogue for pronunciation. I don't have money for audio books at the moment, and I'd like to supplement what I learn from the text by testing myself with someone of experience.

I learn fast.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't speak Japanese very well (if at all Anime catgrin + sweatdrop), but I'd like to recommend the Instant Immersion: Japanese 4 CD-ROM set to you.

It won't help you in terms of actually getting a hold on conversational talk, but the audio is pretty good in terms of pronunciations and they teach you a lot of basic things too. Just read the description in the link, it'll explain better than I can Razz.

If you want find it for a good price, I got mine at Best Buy for $19.99.
yeahjesse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Doomo. I've also bought a book of phrases and a book to help with katana (I think... I'd have to check on what I ordered to say for sure.). Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I also want to get the very outdated Making Out In Japanese, because Bill Murray was using it around Tokyo while filming Lost In Translation, and it was just plain adorable.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've also bought a book of phrases and a book to help with katana

You... sword fighting... dang it!
Are you talking about Katakana there? Along with Hiragana, Katakana is pretty helpfull when you're first learning Japanese. It helps to set the guidelines of what sounds are available in the language. It also helped me to learn Hiragana first when I started trying to read Japanese. You may not understand the words your reading, but if you understand the wo, no, ni, ga and those ownership type parts of the sentence, you can figure out the structure, and it's easier to figure out what the sentence is saying.
Okay, maybe that wasn't phrased right - its kind of hard to explain. Can you believe english is my FIRST language? All joking aside, that's really cool that you are intersted in Japanese. Talking and hearing it is deffinately the best way to learn. It's a big investment, but if there's a college or language school close to you where they have a teacher that allways talks in Japanese (Imersement teaching? Can't remember what they call it), that would be much better than any book or cd.
yeahjesse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
OMFG! >.< I know! Katakana! It caught my tongue for about a day and a half until I looked back at my notes (and my common sense). I realized it about an hour ago, but didn't realize I made the mistake in this thread.

I feel like such a retard. Please excuse me while I go hang myself. And thank you for your suggestions. I think I'll ask around campus when I visit campus at the University I'm hoping to attend.
Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I know a tad bit of Japanese but I really dont have the ability to teach it well or speak with someone about it extremely well at the moment. Sorry but keep practicing Very Happy
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to Translate the two Custom Robo N64 Games.

Anybody got some good Kanji Websites?
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
For an all around good Japanese dictionary try here. You may want to bookmark it for future reference. The site kinda gives you information overload, maybe not the best for a beginner, but the conjugation tables are priceless. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1