• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green_Devil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I am woudering if Hunter X Hunter is liscensed in the US?
If there is a another thread about this or related to Hunter X Hunter, feel free to post it. No spamming please thank you, and if this is a duplicated thread I am sorry.

Green_Devil Twisted Evil
Green_Devil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Never mind, I found it it haven't been lisenced.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, since you are done with this thread, why not turn it into one for discussing Hunter x Hunter in general? Being a anime series that has already been finished and has never been licensed, it is not none that is often mentioned around here. This is a shame, as it is, in my opinion, brilliant; and judging by its high rating in the encyclopaedia I know I am not alone in thinking that.

From the very beginning HxH got my attention by having a very good above average animation and engrossing story. I was rather amazed at how much the Hunter Exam arc reminded me of the Chuunin Exam arc of Naruto. Maybe not so much in actual content as much as how it felt, if you can follow me. But there was plenty of content being shared between the two titles. Mostly small things, but if you add it all up it actually gets pretty big. Take as an example the fact that at some point during the Hunter Exam everyone is given badges and sent out into the wild for several days to survive and steal each others badges. Something very similar this happens in the Chuunin Exam of Naruto where each group is given a scroll and sent out into a forest to survive and steal the scroll of others groups. Of course it doesn’t really help that the Seiyuu for Naruto and Gon (the main characters of Naruto and HxH) is the same person. Nor the fact that their personalities are very reminiscent of each other’s. Both Gon and Naruto are kind of stupid and have a tendency to rush into things without first thinking things through.

As for the other characters I have to say that Kurapica reminds of Sasuke from Naruto. Both had their clans murdered and are hell-bent on taking revenge, no matter the cost. But overall I would have to say that I think HxH is much better than Naruto in almost every regard. The difference in animation quality notwithstanding, the storyline, design and characters of HxH are in a league of their own. For me HxH topped in the spider arc which had one of my absolute most favourite moments in anime. The one where Lucifer’s giant floating fish are eating that unfortunate hunter alive, that scene will stay with me forever. Overall the visuals in the spider arc are just superb. Also HxH gets much better away from explaining the rules of its universe, and it doesn’t have so many instances, like Naruto, where the guys who are about to fight stand still explaining their techniques and how they are going to win using them. It does happen, though.

Moving onto the characters, I have to say that HxH has prolly the largest collection of über cool character I have ever seen. Unlike most anime it is not abundant with gorgeous looking babes, but I tell you, if I was a girl I would be thrilled. The strength of HxH lies in its many interesting -- and hot if I may say so myself -- men. My two favourites are Kuroro Lucifer and Hisoka. Kuroro, unfortunately remains rather underdeveloped in the series but that just means he gets to remain a mystery. And do I even have to mention the genious of his character desing? It is just so amazing, and I have a thing (not that way) for bad guys like him, anyway. Hisoka, well…. Hisoka is just Hisoka, and he is amazing. Especially his VA, which I swear, must have been handpicked by god himself since it is so perfect. Seriously, Hisoka’s voice is just so mind-bendingly good that I was cheering every time he was on screen just because I got to hear his voice again. Not to mention that off-the-wall-crazy characters like him are always interesting to watch. In that regard he kind of reminds me of Gara from Naruto, specially in the Hunter Exam.

In the end I have to say that I was kind of disappointed by the drop in animation quality and the shift to digital animation in the last two OVAs. Once you are used to the beautiful colours of cell animation it is quite a let down to be forced to watch the plastic colours of cheap digital animation. But the Greed Island OVAs were entertaining non the less, thought they were not as good as the spider arc that preceded them. I was also somewhat surprised by the fact that the Spiders and what Kurapica is going to do about them once Kuroro returns were left as loose end by the end of the last OVA, but I guess I’ll just have to turn to the manga for the resolution of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1