• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime based off manga that actually follows the manga.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jealous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I like Anime a lot, but I always have a problem with these popular manga series' adapted into anime. Unless a series is IMMENSELY popular (ex: Naruto, One Piece, DBZ, Bleach), it usually ends after 1 or 2 seasons. It bugs me to know that I might be missing very important parts of the plot or subplots.

For instance, I'm a fan of the series Berserk, which is an ongoing manga series with 35 tankobon. The anime ended over ten years ago and spanned a total of 25 episodes. I'm seriously missing huge parts of the story!

What do you guys think about series that end like this? And does anyone know of any series that have followed the manga from start to end?
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm only slightly annoyed by this phenomenon, of anime stopping while the manga keeps on going, except when the animators invent an ending that isn't consistent with the manga. For example, I liked Negima!, except for the ending they made for it. I recognize that business reasons make a manga much more likely to run on indefinitely than a television series. Perhaps you can think of it like mythology, or the medieval legend cycles like the matter of Britain, where any given work can only present part of the entire web of story.

I think your best bet for anime that captures all of a manga is with manga that are relatively short. For example, with Azumanga Daioh, the anime captured all of the manga, with some minor shuffling of events.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
While I have yet to actually read the manga of it, I've heard Monster's anime adaptation is ridiculously faithful to its manga source material to nearly every detail with only a few instances of minor differences between the anime and manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is always Monster, which is probably the title that followed its source Manga the closest. From what I've heard it was almost religiously faithful. Some have claimed the adaptation was too close to the source material, as there was then no reason to watch the Anime if you'd already read the Manga (and vice versa, for that matter). Well, I suppose if you wanted to see the story animated and orchestrated then yes, I can understand why you'd want to watch the Anime.

Edit: I was beaten to the punch. Just goes to show that Monster really is a notable title in this regard.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
When you eliminate filler material, most shonen shows follow their manga frame by page.
hakojo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
NANA follows its source manga so carefully that I don't even bother reading the manga - I prefer the story when I can actually hear the (excellent) music that goes with it, since the music is such a big part of the whole experience.

Personally, I like it when an animated adaptation adds something to its source. Sitting through exactly the same material twice is no fun.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
Personally, I like it when an animated adaptation adds something to its source. Sitting through exactly the same material twice is no fun.

Ditto, which is why I have absolutely no interest in seeing in something like Monster or Hellsing Ultimate. The best anime adaptations that I've seen have always been those that did something original with the source material and actually surpassed the manga, Planetes, Excel Saga and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex being notable examples.

I'll make an exception for Mushishi though. That series was a very faithful adaptation too, but it really benefited from having sound, color and animation. Really hope that we'll see a second season some day.
Leader Bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
I was somewhat dissapointed with the Anime adaption of Neon Genesis Evangelion, not the actual story but how it differred in certain places from the Manga: Like howspoiler[ Toji is killed when he is piloting the Eva in the manga but is only put into hospital in the anime]

Or when we first meet Asuka in the manga she's alone in the amusement district when she meets Shinji and his friends, only later do we find out she is the 2nd child. In the Anime she's aboard the pacific fleets flagship with kaji ( one of my fave characters btw, along with Rei <3 )

Then theres the bit in the Manga where Shinji is sat with Rei in the park and they hold hands, that doesnt appear at all in the anime and I thought that was really sweet.

I just recently watched the Berserk Anime and while it does a good job of telling the story up until the point that spoiler[ griffith becomes a member of the Godhand] there is certainly a lot of filler left out and I always thought that the fat noble was gonna turn out to be one of the demons that Guts slays sometime in Volume 5 or 6 of the manga... Also, no Puck!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Leader Bee wrote:
I was somewhat dissapointed with the Anime adaption of Neon Genesis Evangelion, not the actual story but how it differred in certain places from the Manga: Like howspoiler[ Toji is killed when he is piloting the Eva in the manga but is only put into hospital in the anime]

Or when we first meet Asuka in the manga she's alone in the amusement district when she meets Shinji and his friends, only later do we find out she is the 2nd child. In the Anime she's aboard the pacific fleets flagship with kaji ( one of my fave characters btw, along with Rei <3 )

Then theres the bit in the Manga where Shinji is sat with Rei in the park and they hold hands, that doesnt appear at all in the anime and I thought that was really sweet.

The manga of the series originally started being published in Japan in early 1995 as a way to promote the series before the anime started up later in the year with the manga having some different developments with plot and characters. It only had two volumes of published material by the time the anime had ended and it's still ongoing at the moment being up to the point where the first half of End of Eva is about to conclude. Unfortunately, the manga has been put on hiatus by its mangaka Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (also a Gainax animator) because he's currently at work helping to develop the third movie for the Rebuild of Evangelion films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leader Bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm really excited about seeing the rebuilds but i fear that it's not going to be worth it until all 4 of them are released...otherwise i'll feel like it's death and rebirth all over again.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, when an anime goes off on its own, the results can be interesting, (FMA) but I prefer to stick to the story. its more of a "how would it look animated?" sort of thing. Because, well sometimes deviating causes issues.
I have this huge grudge against the Rosario+Vampire Anime, since it kills the plot progression in favor of showing borderline hentai. Not even the manga had that much. The anime outright throws the plot out the window. I wouldnt mind changes if they at least didn't butcher the story for fanservice.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I'm only slightly annoyed by this phenomenon, of anime stopping while the manga keeps on going, except when the animators invent an ending that isn't consistent with the manga. For example, I liked Negima!, except for the ending they made for it.

There's always the OVAs

there as close to the manga as any Negima series is going to get. (I guess thats mainly cause Ken is working side by side with the animators / Shaft animation this time along with doing the storyboards for the opening )
Shawn Shaolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I thought Basilisk was faithfully close to the manga. Sadly that's the only anime I can name that I've seen which was faithful to the manga.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
I don't read manga, but often times, know the series I'm watching is based off it (as told through the credits).

That's why I never base my opinions on "missing" parts the series couldn't get in from the manga and rate it on its own accord. If there are pieces missing, and I can't figure them out, I'm not likely to recommend the series for watching.

I will say, though, I'm a bit apprehensive to people who read my opinions, then throw out "Read the manga! It's better!" advice. I can't really blame them, but that completely defeats the purpose of the anime review.

If I couldn't piece it together, then most (some having read the manga) will certainly be disappointed with the anime adaptation (though I'm sure many now just tolerate the discrepancies).

Like any medium that's derived from the written (er, drawn) source, sacrifices are made. Some worse than others, but if the overall series is enjoyable, then the anime adaptation has done its job well.
Jealous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Gintama has all the episodes based on the manga? Cause the manga is a bunch of one chapter stories. Does the anime adapt all those?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2