• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NY Times review of American Dad takes a snipe at anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:36 am Reply with quote
The review.registration required

The remark I found interesting was:

Quote:
"American Dad" has amusing moments and engaging characters, but it is to "The Simpsons" what Japanese anime is to Disney's "Fantasia": fashionable, but crude and cheaply drawn in comparison.

I guess Alessanddra Stanley is a little biased?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:32 am Reply with quote
Most of the media is controled by baby boomers who are out of touch.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote
Ms. Stanley obviously doesn't know what anime is all about, and probably doesn't care. Sad
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
i never cared about opinions of ill-informed people. they're the ones that gonna end up looking like idiots
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
crude and cheaply drawn in comparison.

The guy has never seen anything since Sailormoon Smile

Perhaps someone ought to show the guy an episode of AIR? Let him see the quality of animation that's produced for a TV series, that makes Disney look like rank amateur's.

And no, I'm not knocking Disney. I happen to love Fantasia, it's just that their production values seem to have plummeted since the 1960's, with only a few exceptions (Hercules and Aladdin).

JBV^_^
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Ouch, the startling thing is that most modern anima (say from the last five years or so) looks better than some of the best Disney that there is out there.
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
Except most anime is crude and cheaply drawn. Even modern anime by some of the premier animation studios in Japan (say, Production IG's Otogizoushi) has characters go off model every once in a while. Not to bash Otogi at all, I really enjoyed the first half of the series, and the tsunami scene is absolutely stunning. Just making a point. Also, Air has the most hideous character designs I've ever seen in my life.

Then again, I'm not really sure when The Simpsons stopped being animated by Korean slaves, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
OH NOEZ!

An influential TV critic mentioned anime in passing without using the same kind of reverential hushed awe intonations that pretentious announcers on NPR use when talking about jazz.

We must send her to the re-education camps at once, and teach her a happy lesson about Happy Lesson!

Last edited by Tenchi on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, Air has the most hideous character designs I've ever seen in my life.

fair enough, though i love the series, some people find their chins too big =P

one thing that i hear was that anime was animated with 3 frames per second or something, whereas american animation used 4. something like that. anyway, because of that, anime has this sluggish feel to it.

still, i find it unfair to compare random anime to fantasia (fantasia is a movie, right? haha, i forget)... random tv anime won't get the high budget that fantasia gets.

i still want to see american dad though.
SamuraiBebop713

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Who cares what a writer for the NY Times thinks. Anime obviously has a huge following. You like it. I like it. End of story.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Abel wrote:

Quote:
"American Dad" has amusing moments and engaging characters, but it is to "The Simpsons" what Japanese anime is to Disney's "Fantasia": fashionable, but crude and cheaply drawn in comparison.

I guess Alessanddra Stanley is a little biased?

It's not the anime comment that gets me, it's the implication that she doesn't think the Simpsons is crude and cheaply drawn, which it is. There have always been moments where the characters look way off model, and for what they pay per episode you should expect perfection, but I guess by the time they're done paying their actors more than they're worth there isn't much left for the actual animation budget. Either that or they're being taken for a ride by the animators in what has never struck me as high quality animation. And while I'm at it, the show hasn't been laugh-out-loud funny since season 8 or 9, I used to love it and catch every episode, now it all just seems too forced and lifeless.

Alright, tangent's over.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

It's not the anime comment that gets me, it's the implication that she doesn't think the Simpsons is crude and cheaply drawn, which it is.

That's what gets me too. I mean, it's crude on purpose, and she doesn't even see it?!? In comparison to what it looked like in the beginning, it is much improved, but still....
Tequila

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Then again, I'm not really sure when The Simpsons stopped being animated by Korean slaves, either.

Mh? The actual animation and in-betweening is made in Korea since season 3. There is a remark of that on the directors commentary and you can see the name of the korean studio in the credits. But I don't remember the name of it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Since when is the Simpsons anything like Disney? Well other than them both having jumped the shark a long time ago. P.S. Seth McFarlane will be at http://www.comicbookscifi.com/ where you can ask him about whether he likes anime.

Jack: Hercules looks like one of those awful Hannah Barbera cartoons that John K. had to slave over before he got to do Ren and Stimpy.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Tequila wrote:

Mh? The actual animation and in-betweening is made in Korea since season 3. There is a remark of that on the directors commentary and you can see the name of the korean studio in the credits. But I don't remember the name of it.

It's done by Akom Production Company in Seoul. The animation team for the Simpsons is something like 13 people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7