• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Halo Legends -- anyone see it yet?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prophet Arbitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Saw Halo Legends on demand. Like most of the stories. Odd one out sucked. Generally the anime was good. The Duel animation could have been much better. I give it a 7 out of 10. Not sure if Ill buy the DVD. I really did have a higher expectation from the multi billion dollar franchise.
Justin Bailey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, I only saw the first episode (The Babysitter). It has, as you noted, not very high quality animation for an incredibly high revenue franchise spanning many media. I hesitate to say that it's average, given how bad the average animation is in anime. Then again, I suspect that the novels are not particularly highly regarded even if we can somehow filter through the bias against genre fiction and license titles.

I've never played Halo nor touched any of its tie-in titles before this, though I do know the basic background to the setting (human supersoldiers vs. advanced alience species). It came as a surprise that spoiler[the Spartan puts her normal team mates' lives before hers,] which is the exact opposite of spoiler[pretty much every other setting with a group of expensive biologically-enhanced super soldiers.] The contrast is particularly refreshing spoiler[against a cynical series like Dawn of War.]
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Aw, I heard Daisuke Gouri's voice in this! Crying or Very sad
I wonder if this is his last role?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
I have watched what has been released, it has used different animation for the different parts, so baby sitter was different then the others. I am a fan for the franchise so it is natureal for me to watch it, though there have been a few things that have not matched up to other parts in the series.

My favourite part was "The Package part 2", it had a really cool part, and it had characters that I have only read of in the novels. I am looking forward to it's release here.
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
I never played any of the games so I only know bits and pieces of the story but for not knowing much, I have to say I really enjoyed Halo Legends. My favorite story of the movie would have to be "Odd One Out". I'm going to be bold as to say that I would most definitely recommend this DVD to everyone and anyone. (but hey, that's just me.) Anime smile + sweatdrop
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Finally saw the whole thing. I've never played HALO so some of it I didn't really understand; mostly the things dealing with the Covenant. This is one of those weird titles that I don't know what language to watch it in because both are "official"; the script was written by Japanese (according to the credits) but it's an American property. Anyway, I watched it like I usually watch anime, Japanese with English subs. The English subs are the "dubtitle" type, but usually match up more or less with the Japanese. EXCEPT in the case of "The Duel"-- The English dialogue is completely different from the Japanese here.
The final all-CGI segment "The Package" appears to have been animated to match the English audio.
mabber36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Prophet Arbitor wrote:
Odd one out sucked.

what? that was the only good one.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
I watched in on demand recently and I enjoyed the majority of the film. This was surprising that I have never played the game and know next to nothing about the storyline.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I was really impressed by all of the stories, especially The Duel, although it would have been nice to have longer episodes. I ended up feeling that some things could have been explored in far more depth.

And Odd One Out was awesome fun, a great departure for the series. The campaign for Pluton to appear in Halo Reach starts here! Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
I think part of the appeal and success this might face is even people not familiar with the game can watch and easily get it. I mean the first two parts basically detail everything out and even give extra background information. My favorite was the last one but not simply because we saw the chief in action. No I enjoyed it for seeing Kurt and Kelly. Anyone who had read the books would know about them and their further adventures. So it was especially nice for me having read the books to see 2 of the other big spartans being given some air time. Now if only they could've gotten Linda some.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
I am with you Psycho 101, but wasn't it Fred, not Kurt. Kurt was only in for a short time, known for being sociable, and his specialty was intuition, while Fred was second at everything and was proficent in battle knives which we saw him draw at one point.
Treiz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It was the Halo Animatrix, only much better. Odd one was great! I wish that we could have got more backstory though...
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, and so did my dad and brother. That's a plus for me.
troizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised by all of the individual episodes. My favorites were Odd One Out and The Package. I loved the Dragonball Z aspects of Odd One Out and the first person view parts of The Package were amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1