• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
why isn't it appropriate? from what it seems to be, its going to be those anime with lots of strategies to win as you progress to get to the A class.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
But unlike Death Note , I doubt this is going to take itself serously, this isn't trying to be an amazing inteligent watch. For instance at one part they had us thinking the main character was secretly a genious or something, turned out spoiler[he was especialy bad] and also threw in some physical humour. If I could use a phrase to describe some comical parts, it would be "comedy is tragedy that hapends to someone else".

I think it assumes the viewer can through experience (other anime) of others, understand the school setting, basicly it has no qualms about cliches, in fact it likes using them. You could give a title to each of the characters, but not like that is expected from such an anime.

Possibly a better show to compare is Code Geass, it has a lot more of the war asspect, and solutions pulled off at the last minute.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hentai and his invisible post has disappeared!

Well. The first episode made me laugh, and I hardly laugh, other than when faking it while talking to other people and reading a few amusing posts and laughing at my own posts like a cracking maniac. Enough of that. Like I said the first episode was pretty funny, but, but, that's up to that weird fight(?); if that was meant to be funny, then I guess they lost the point(what point?)(this point here>.).
The first episode was excellent and funny until that kind of virtual fighting began happening, then it all went down slope and I completely stopped laughing. The generically pink haired generic girl is generically wayyy too generic, you generically know, that generic type of generic which is just too generic to actually be generically described. Overall it was good, otherwise it would be lying on the bottom of my ranking along with Chu-Bra.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Just finally got around to checking this one out. Wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining it was. If this one holds form in future episodes, it may have a lot of promise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tarheel91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Showsni wrote:
It was more entertaining than I'd imagined. Pretty good! Though, I did feel obliged to keep pausing and checking people's point values.

Hm, your points value seems to equate to both attack power and act as your HP. So when you start losing, it becomes even harder to win. Similarly, it looks like class F gets all the worst equipment and teacher; so once you get knocked down to that level, it's that much harder to study your way up to a better one...

Like they said, it's like a microcosm for the real world. Poor people can't break out of being poor. The worst thing is when states assess schools on how they did, and give them appropriations based on it. So if a school does poorly, it gets less funding. With less funding, how can they hope to improve? I guess you could say this anime is making a social statement, but I'd rather not, and just say "lol, fightan school"

I don't know about in Japan, but in the US, it certainly doesn't work that way. If you continue to under perform, you get money thrown at you. The issue is that this money is frequently misused, and can't be just added to teachers' salaries. What the low-scoring schools really need are good teachers, but it's hard to convince anyone to go teach somewhere full of kids notorious for being difficult to teach for a pathetic salary. It's especially hard when that same pathetic salary can be found at a much easier place to teach. That's generally always the case, considering how highly sought after teachers are.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:16 am Reply with quote
I agree with egoist, the pink-haired girl is way too generic.
The second episode also provided the same stupid giggling potential. The jokes are nothing new, but it's entertaining.

The theoretical win was fun. Razz

I'm sensing an OVER 9000 joke coming very, very soon. Also, I liked the class A rep.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I'm sensing an OVER 9000 joke coming very, very soon. Also, I liked the class A rep.
What 4000 not enough?

I just finished episode 2, I keep thinking that the subject might be a bit too depressing to be funny, but it still mangages it. Probably one of my favirout parodies/references was of Asura Cryin, which gave me a bit of a laugh, probably because someone finaly did one. Though there are quite a bit of other funny parts.

But this series still likes to use it's trap, and treating the main guy like a chew toy. They probably want to have a lot of their characters be generic, Maybe they don't want the pink haird girl be very popular, instead be like Mikuru. they just need to rely on playing off them properly.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
So far this series is getting a solid "meh" From me. I doubt very much I'll drop it, but it's not rocking my world either. Naturally, the character I identify most with is The Voyeur and his constant quest to see some pantsu!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
But the episode even had some topless action, though admitedly not as much as The latest episode of Ladies vs Buters, or even Vampire Bund, but still nosebleed worthy Wink . Or what about that table top action, and how those two girls were all over the main guy, well first it was just her then girl who has a yuri crush on said girl joined in. But it was tsundere so it was quite rough.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator - yeah, but "topless action" that involves dudes doesn't count. Wink
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Goddammit I love this show! A number of scenes had me laughing in tears! Especially when Shimada-sama spoiler[was extorting "Say you love me" phrase]. Can't help but love everything about this series. Too bad not everyone finds it as hysterically awesome as I do. (I think it should be noted that I didn't have high hopes for it initially.)

For kicks I re-watched episode one and was very surprised, and pleased, to find a number of jokes I had missed. Laughed even harder than the first time around.

So... when is episode 3?

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So far this series is getting a solid "meh" From me. I doubt very much I'll drop it, but it's not rocking my world either.

This ^. I dunno whats missing, but it just doesn't seem to have the.....pizazz that I kind of expected. From a logical standpoint, spoiler[F class should have no chance against A class. And besides a few quirks (Pink hair super brain) they got steamrolled. ]

I really don't see how they can keep this show going. But maybe now that the "wars" are over for now, we will get some experience of their lives outside of school, which might have some good potential.
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Hentai_JP really, the latest episode had me in stitches. I don't like the pink haired chick, though - she's completely uninteresting. You can kind of tell from the op where the whole crush side of things is going to go but I like Tsundere-san better (I dunno maybe I have a thing for that kind of archetype, or maybe I just like the fact that she was upfront about it and when provoked by "I'll do whatever you want" she's like "Say you love me! Now! *bone snap*"

Ah man I still have tears in my eyes from the sex education jokes. I thought it was hilarious; sure a bit brainless but the series is funny enough for me to forgive that. It's my replacement for Seitokai no Ichizon now that that's finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
This is one show I'm starting to feel is best watched with brain turned almost totally off. If I try to overthink it, it's stupid. If I just roll with it though, it's too funny for me. I'll concur, I dislike the pink-haired girl as well. The tsundere one was much more amusing, and will probably wind up being a better developed character in the end. Yes, it's early to predict that, but I've been finding lately that the love interest in a show that I wish the lead would be with wind's up never getting picked, but still being a more fully developed character than the one the lead winds up with. Case study, Nyan Koi. Kana was a much better character in my opinion, but the show went with the brainless one who was so forgettable I can't recall her name with certainty. I think it was Mizuno. Then again, that show disappointed me in multiple ways, so...
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
It's a boy... 1 minute of silence.

Episode 2 was alright, not much comedy involved, but more romance. The romance wasn't that bad, well, it's kind of used everywhere but it was good for some reason. The pink haired girl is still as generic as always. I actually didn't realize the "625" until my player started repeating the episode, probably because I was smoking at the window and not looking properly...
Well, since I can't really call that boy played as a girl my favorite, I'll go with his sister, thanks to my green eyes fetish.
Man, I'm so late with my watching schedule. Must... stop... Aion...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6