• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga art pens...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roboticservo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quote
I have just started to learn to draw manga and I was looking around for art supplies. I keep running across the TACHIKAWA manga pen. Are they any good? If so can someone tell me where I could order one from (a site you have used and trust)? or if the pens suck could you reccomend a
pen(s) that works well for you?

Thanks,

Matt
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't used the TACHIKAWA manga pen before, and am now just hearing about it for the first time. It does sound like a good idea, and if it works, that's even better. However, it looks like it may not have replaceable nibs. If it does allow replaceable nibs, I'd try it out. If it doesn't, I wouldn't bother. You need different nibs for different line types. Up to this point I've been using regular, free ink pens, and even though they are sometimes risky with getting ink all over your drawing, you get better with practice. If you want to buy it anyway, http://www.howtodrawmanga.com has you covered.

In fact, in general, since you are just starting, I'd go for somethig like "THE ULTIMATE MANGA PEN SET" at http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/htpens/htpens001.html IF you want to go for these "name brand" manga art supplies. I've only bought ONE "manga" pen in my life, and it came with a manga starter set, and it's not any different from a regular pen and nib set. Regular nib pens are cheaper, and do the same exact thing as the "manga" pens, and can be found at your local art supplies store, and sometimes office supplies.

Other than free ink pens, I also use the Micron pens by Sakura, in different sizes. http://www.cheapjoes.com/catalog/products.asp?id=697&pid=71&ppid=3 I'm currently in art school, and these types of pens are suggested for inking next to the preferred free ink nib pens.

Then when you're inking large areas, just use a marker like a sharpie.

As to ink in general for nib pens, regular black india ink works fine. However, I will admit that the "authentic black Japanese manga ink" I got from howtodrawmanga.com is pretty nice ink.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't know anything about art materials myself, but this might have some good pointers-

http://www.tcj.com/messboard/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003468.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
roboticservo wrote:
I have just started to learn to draw manga and I was looking around for art supplies. I keep running across the TACHIKAWA manga pen. Are they any good? If so can someone tell me where I could order one from (a site you have used and trust)? or if the pens suck could you reccomend a
pen(s) that works well for you?

If this is the Tachikawa manga pen you're referring to: http://www.akadotretail.com/shop/shop_showbook.php?id=IC-302834 then it's probably not a good idea. Amateur manga-style artists have tried it and the pen just doesn't work (see http://www.mangaacademy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=973 ). I don't know much about nib pens, but a lot of comickers get along just fine with pigment liners. I would recommend either Staedtler sketch pens, Sakura pigma microns, or Copic multiliners.
roboticservo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for your replies, they are very helpful.
I think im going to get a set of Pigma Micron Pens.
After I get better I’ll look into getting free ink pens, as of right now I don’t want to get ahead of myself Rolling Eyes

Thanks again,

Matt
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I use a Tachikawa, and it works well. You just have to know how to use it, and you have to be gentle with it. Most of the problems people have with are due to the fact that they simple don't know what they're doing, and/or are too rough. I reccomend Deleter or Sakura micron pens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I outline my stuff I usually just use the thin black sharpies because they're awesome. Never heard of what you said but I don't really draw a lot although I'm in cartooning now so I guess I have to (its fun).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how much you've thought of this, but using the right paper is just as important a decision as the type of pen/brush you use. I prefer two-ply Bristol myself; it's completely worth the price. I actually prefer using a brush when I decide to ink (a lot of comic and illustration work doesn't even call for it); I feel like I have more control than when using a pen. It takes a lot of practice to get it right, though. A size 001 watercolor brush with synthetic hair works just fine and costs about $2.99 at most art material stores. And even if you're just practicing now, I'd consider investing in a bottle of cheap India Ink. It costs next to nothing and will last a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:35 am Reply with quote
{littlegreenwolf is alive!}

I really like the nibs. They are entirely superior to pigment pens for anything requiring much detail (just try to do background sketching with 0.05 pen!). I use a free pen with maru and G nibs for sketching and outlining, and like littlegreenwolf said, just use a marker for 'black-fill'. I order all my junk from www.akadotretail.com. I live in Australia and I still get my toys in just over a week! Shocked

Oh yeah, I highly recommend just buying some doujinshi paper. Its better than any sketch/drawing paper that you will find in most artstores. Its cheap besides, you'll get 40 pages for between $4-6 depending on what flavour you choose. I personally use 110G A4 Doujinshi with grid (for B5 print).

edit for more info.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
this is going to sound really ignorant, but a pen is a pen, isn't it? I know, the Uniball are better than say Bic, but not by much (especially not by enough to justify the price difference).
and I know theres the difference between art/caligraphy pens and normal pens, but what really makes one pen better than another?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not an expert on manga pens or anything, and when I do draw manga it's usually in color. However, I've gotten more into black and white pictures lately, and I mostly use a Copic multiliner set. They came with a marker pack that I got, so I decided to test them out (despite the fact that I'm not big on ink drawings). They're fairly easy to work with and come in a variety of sizes, and they're also available with brush nibs, which are quite lovely.

I don't own any other pen sets, but I leech supplies off of my art teachers quite often. Smile India ink is versatile, and although I don't mind using ink holders, I prefer using a simple watercolor brush (I'm rather fond of watering the ink down to achieve a watercolor-esque effect). And I haven't used them much, but I like pigma micron pens as well.

Generally, I like to use a combination of all these supplies mentioned as well as using other media. I know it's not exactly professional to use charcoal, paint, pastels, et cetera for "manga" but there are some effects that ink can't quite achieve. (By the way, this post is much longer than need be....)
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
this is going to sound really ignorant, but a pen is a pen, isn't it? I know, the Uniball are better than say Bic, but not by much (especially not by enough to justify the price difference).
and I know theres the difference between art/caligraphy pens and normal pens, but what really makes one pen better than another?

There are a number of factors. The most important is the quality and consistency of the line each pen can provide. For example, Pigma Micron pens can provide a finer line than, say, a Sharpie. They are also less likely (depending on the type of paper you use) to bleed. They have better quality ink as well. Nib pens and brushes allow the artist to control the line weight even better than the Pigmas--allowing a variety of thicknesses in a single stroke, and you have the luxury of choosing any type of ink you desire. The down side is that they take getting used to. Especially Crow-quills, which I never really got the hang of (watercolor brushes are better anyway, IMO). Using a high-quality India Ink will make wonderful, fluid linework and keep the lines from turning yellowish-brownish or fading over time. I don't know much about Manga technique in Japan, but India Ink's the standard in the US comic industry. That said, there are examples of amazing inkwork from simple ballpoint pens from such artists as Michael Scheer and Keith Rondinelli.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
alright, thanks. that explained much Smile

Scheer has some pretty cool art
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1