• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What should be done instead of a live action Akira...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danno19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
As we all know (probably been stated 1000 of times here at the forums) Akira is suppose to be remade into a live action film directed by Pitof (Catwoman, Alien Ressurection). Where do I stand with this... I am 100% against the thought of a live action Akira.

The two words Akira, and live action should never be in a sentence together, and Pitof shouldnt be... ya get the idea.

Well I thought up of an idea of how a company could go about this project. Once again I apologize if someone had already stated this idea.

If I had any decision making powers, I would re-animate Akira with the same amount of money that would most likely be spent on the live action version (lets say 60 million dollars). But when I say re-animate Akira, I dont mean remake the same movie, but animate the mangas. Since Dark Horse broke down the 2000 page epic into 6 issues, this is how my thinking went on how to break down the manga(s).

Book 1 & 2 = Film 1 (15,000,000 dollars)
Book 3 & 4 = Film 2 (20,000,000 dollars)
Book 5 & 6 = Film 3 (25,000,000 dollars)
(the range of budget per film is pretty much what a big budget anime would cost in Japan)

The budget increase per film is due to the increase of action as the books progress. Now I know you think condensing the 6 Manga's is next to impossible, but I really dont think so, given the current situation. I think thematic elements can be taken from the 2000 pages, yet it will be rigorous work to do so.

Also from a financial point of view, I see this to be more successful then a live action film. I cant see a live action Akira making more than 25 million on its opening weekend, then dying a quick death as it barely makes its money back. But multiply those earnings by 3 films, and you will most likely walk out with a much larger profit. Mind you, the production of this film would have to be 100% Japanese Made, and be under the direction of Otomo himself in order for it to work.

Ya, maybe I dont know a lot about anime production, but I have the right idea. If you are really hardcore about Akira and love it as much as myself, you have to ask yourself, "Would I rather see an animated trilogy based off of the mangas? Or a terrible live action cash-in of a project that will do more disrespect then anything imaginable?"

Thanks for the time, and I apologize if this is repeated material or in the wrong section of forums.

-Dan
[email protected]

*edit* I have also brought this to the Pitof section of the forums at IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0685759/board/thread/15054590
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1