• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best movies around, few suggestions please!!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cajun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys, I've only recently got into anime and have realised what I've been missing all ths time.

My brother gave me Ghost in the shell 2 for xmas, which i watched and found very intresting, i really enjoyes it but it was a bit slow for my taste.

Can any of you recommend some movies with cool animation and effects with loads of action to go with it.

Thanks guys

p.s I heard the Cowboy bebop moive is excellent
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
We are having quite a lot of suggestion/recommendation threads recently. Rolling Eyes How about checking Cookie's list and the Best Rated list?

Cajun wrote:
Can any of you recommend some movies with cool animation and effects with loads of action to go with it.

Can you be more specific about which type of action you are interested? There are actions involving martial arts, infantry weapons, piloted machines (aircrafts, small mecha), commanded machines (fleet-level combat, large mecha). In general, Gonzo is the studio with best animation and visual effects. Most of their titles fit your criteria.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
As it seems you're still watching "the essentials", check out:

Akira
Princess Mononoke

There's no need to list more before you've seen these.

Cowboy Bebop is decent too.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
In general, Gonzo is the studio with best animation and visual effects.

Mm, I disagree. Gankutsuou is the only real one that has interesting effects, most of their work is highly overrated (particularly Last Exile - how that became the golden standard of animation in any circle is beyond me).

If you want really good animation, check out the work of Studio 4°C. Memories and Spriggan are the only major works of theirs that have been released stateside, and Spriggan wastes its incredible animation on a (in my opinion) dull action movies. But I just don't like action movies in general, so your mileage may vary. But their rarer stuff - Noiseman Sound Insect, Mind Game, Digital Juice (especially the 'Aerial Bar' segment) have some of the best animation I've ever seen. Especially Mind Game - it's downright revolutionary in every way. Based on that movie alone, it's safe to say that the director (Masaaki Yuasa) easily has as much talent as Miyazaki, Takahata, or Kon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lazuright

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Fazz89x wrote:
As it seems you're still watching "the essentials", check out:

Akira
Princess Mononoke

There's no need to list more before you've seen these.

Cowboy Bebop is decent too.

Some other beginers are...
The Castle of Cagliostro
Slayers: The Motion Picture

And if you'd like to start on series here are some good beginers as well.

Oh My Goddess!
Tenchi Muyo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1