• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What to do with anime backlog?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon182

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I have a tonne of anime that I bought, but I just couldn't be bothered to watch. It's been slowly creeping up on me, but when I went to rearrange my shelf, it kind of shocked me...

My question is, what do you guys do with anime backlog? Do you start marathoning episodes? Do you put it back and pretend it doesn't exist? I'm starting to worry, because I'm thinking of caving in and getting my $250 worth of anime during the Rightstuf Christmas sale...but that's only going to compound the problem.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I slowly chip away at it. Recently, I've taken some advice I read elsewhere and have started to watch my 1-cours shows so that I get that feeling of satisfaction of being able to cross a title off my "unwatched" list more quickly.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Straight up, the biggest thing you can do is not to panic or get disheartened.

The second thing you can do is change your attitude. Don't fear your backlog, but don't expect to finish it quickly. Think of it as a marathon rather than a sprint, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

I currently have *checks list* 1,213 episodes of Anime that I've either bought or downloaded and that I haven't watched yet. That doesn't include a dozen or so movies. It will take me till late 2013 to finish it, assuming I don't add anything to it.

The precise way I handle my backlog is by doing a stocktake of it, and recording how much I watch from it and I how much I add to it each day. And then saying to myself that I am to get through x episodes each day, week, month. x goes up and down depending on my workload, whether it is a weekend or holiday, if I want to go to a party, et cetera. Therefore, there is both a daily x, a weekly x and a monthly x (I suppose I should call them by different letters, but meh).

I even use a spreadsheet that automatically calculates the exact date that I will have finished my backlog assuming I keep to x, whatever it may be. For example, at three episodes per day it will take me till the 5th of December 2013 before I finish my backlog, and that doesn't include all the currently airing episodes I have to watch in the meantime.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Here's my fool proof way to get through my backlog.

1.Take dvd out of "to watch" box
2. pop it into dvd player
3. watch dvd
4. put dvd in "sort" box
5. repeat till nothing is left
Rolling Eyes
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Here's my fool proof way to get through my backlog.

1.Take dvd out of "to watch" box
2. pop it into dvd player
3. watch dvd
4. put dvd in "sort" box
5. repeat till nothing is left
Rolling Eyes

If I did that it would take me something like nineteen days without a break to get though my backlog, even skipping OPs and EDs.

I think what was being asked was the psychological aspects of dealing with an ever-growing backlog, not how to put a DVD into a drive and play it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Mine's starting to creep up there myself (I don't exactly have it broken down by episodes or series), but the way I see it, I'll watch 'em as I watch 'em. The whole point of buying these DVDs is that I'll have the shows on-hand indefinitely...it's not like they're going anywhere. I just try to have one or two shows going on my own, in addition to the stuff I watch on [as] and in groups with friends. I'm not really a marathoner by nature, so the pace is slow, but I keep on moving anyway.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, first...the obvious one...don't allow it to accumulate: Watch everything after you buy it. This is also a good idea for another reason, because sometimes the discs might be defective or wrong and if you waited more than 90 days to watch it, then it's too late to return it and you're stuck with shelves of expensive paper weights.

Stop Buying stuff for a while: If you're not constantly adding to the pile and watching what you have instead, it's easier to eliminate that backlog.

If you're already onboard the sinking ship, USS. Backlog, all you can really do is grab a bucket and start bailing out the water as fast as you can, as Blood- suggests.

In addition, I suggest using days off or large chunks of your free time to watch your backlog. It's possible to finish 2 or 3 series in a single day.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I think what was being asked was the psychological aspects of dealing with an ever-growing backlog, not how to put a DVD into a drive and play it.

No crap, thought the rolling eye's gave away my sarcasm.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Erm... develop some self-restraint. If you can't watch it, don't buy it. Are you an anime watcher? Or an anime collector? Sadly, in an age where buying is seen as a virtuous activity, self-restraint confounds people.

Sorry if I come across as preachy, but the backpile problem people have is a rod they have made for their own back. If you can't / won't watch it immediately, don't buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Throw a sheet over it so you're not staring at it and keep on buying. Out of sight, out of mind! Join the crowd of the cool people with more backlog than days in their lifespan. It's the only way to roll.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Better yet - burn your backlog and keep on buying. You won't notice the difference. You will have peace of mind until your backlog builds up again. Repeat the process. That way you get the pleasure of buying without the distress of a backlog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:

Sarcasm? Then you shouldn't have put a rolling eyes there, because that's misleading.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Some of the posts make me think I'm in some 12 step program forum. Laughing

Anyways, what are you watching or doing that you have no time for your backlog? Is it that you are watching streams of current seasons while also buying shows that adds to your backlog? Then reduce what you are watching online or take a season off and instead watch your backlog. Not all shows are great, be more discerning with what you watch online and instead limit yourself to 1 or 2 streams. This should give you more time for your backlog. Do it now before it gets really out of hand. If its not because you are watching online stuff, but because you have other hobbies then you need to prioritize or drop those extra activities otherwise all you are doing is buying stuff that you will never use.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Bright_Spear wrote:

Sarcasm? Then you shouldn't have put a rolling eyes there, because that's misleading.

I'm so greatfull you took the time to tell me this. Its so informative. I just can't see why anyone would not like you around here. Selflessly posting these pearls of wisdom. Rolling Eyes

-End of sarcasm-

Is that better for you?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Watch what ever you want when you are in the mood. Buy what ever you want when it is convenient.

You don't have to buy new shows the moment they come out, but you shouldn't delay too long. As a review of the Bandai thread in the Retail forum should show, it is better to have a backlog to watch than a backlog to buy.

You should try every series when it comes in. If it is enjoyable, set it aside to watch when you are in the mood. If it is so good it grabs you watch it right away. If you hate it or later decide you will never watch it, sell it or give it away (you should try to avoid buying these series in the first place). There is undoubtedly someone out there that does want it.

When you are in the mood to watch a new show, try not to limit yourself to new purchases. Otherwise ignore your backlog. It is only a problem if you make it one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4