• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT: Song of the South finally heading to dvd?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Q: Will Song of the South ever be released on DVD?

A: Yes. Cook said that the public has requested a DVD release of Song of the South more than it has requested any other film. That said, Disney also is aware that some elements of the film reflect the time in which it was made and don't reflect current attitudes. He said that the Studio has encountered similar issues with other older material. In some cases, such as some of the World War II material in the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, they've addressed the issue through introductions that place the material in context. He said that Disney hasn't yet found the ideal solution for Song of the South, but he was confident that they would.

Souce: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/576/576790p1.html, courtesy of Roy's site.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I knew that, once Disney put the propaganda shorts on DVD last year, things a lot of people thought Disney would never, ever let out of the vault, Song of the South would not be far behind.

I think even the NAACP supports re-releasing it, for historical purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's interesting news. I was always sad about that film never ever coming out. I had a small obsession with the Uncle Remus stories when I was little, and Disney's vault policy was always ruining my life. Not to say I don't have a copy from a Japanese LD... Wink

...neerrrdd....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1