• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legwarmers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote
No, not an 80's flashback, but a staple of some Japanese schoolgirls' wardrobes. In anime, it seems like the characters who usually wear those thigh-high tights are older or not so flashy dressers. What's up? And why don't they wear them all the time when it's snowing? You would NEVER get me running around in a miniskirt in the middle of winter.

On that note, I suspect that if someone ran around in public wearing such things in the U.S. more than a few eyebrows would be raised. I think they are a great idea, but am not sure where to buy them without wandering into my local goth shop. Oooo! I bet I could knit some! I wonder if there's a market for these in the cosplay crowd... *hatches brilliant business scheme* Now all I have to do is learn how to knit better. Rolling Eyes
kaitoueesu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Legwarmers are coming back....

There is a foreign exchange student from Italy that wears legwarmers all the time.

And the girls who wear their Usagi Tsukino school girl outfit wear them all the time....I like Sailormoon a lot...but I don't go around dressed like Mamoru or Tuxedo Mask...but these girls actually dress in the Usagi school girl uniform and WEAR IT TO SCHOOL....but yeah.

Legwarmers are coming back...and yes...they are in a lot of animes.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
You know what I would love to do? Dress up in a Japanese schoolgirl outfit (complete with legwarmers) and find myself a bishie in a nice uniform to stroll around Boston with. Not quite cosplay, but not quite normal (for me). Maybe I should just do this for my next con. hmm.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Legwarmers are definitely coming back into style. However, most of the legwarmers I've seen on sale in the US have been the 80-style ones, and not the cute loose ones you see popular in Japan.

People in the US are generally forgiving about what you wear outside (esp. Boston). I've thrown on loose socks or Japanese legwarmers before, and people don't really do more than an odd glance here and there. But considering what some of the girls are wearing nowdays (mini skirts with hideous sheepskin boots? What?!), they don't usually care.

As for why anime characters wear miniskirts in the winter... the Japanese love having sad girls in the snow. No anime is complete without some loli girl in a short skirt and fluffy mittens sitting in the snow with a sad look on her face. Of course... there's plenty of gals on the East Coast who wear miniskirts in the freezing winter, but that's more of a mating call than anything else.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm dating myself, but legwarmers were great. You could wear outfits completely out of season an still not freeze your shins off.

And yes, Boston's a great place to dress up. I never get tired of just people watching outside the T stations and goggling at all the women who run around in 6-inch heels like they're sneakers. The piercings are cool, too. I live in hoity-toity southern R.I. so there's not so much of that around here to see. Although some of the beaches in summer have more bling bling than a jewelry store at the mall. hehe

I really must find some good legwarmers. Maybe I could cut up some fuzzy tights or something. You know, the tops must have pretty tight elastic (and one must need pretty tight thighs) to stay up without garters. Hrm.

Wait a minute...You all are misunderstanding my reference to legwarmers!! I'm not talking about the loose socks the schoolgirls are sporting, I'm talking abuot the full-length, above-the-knee tights or whatever they are!! As I mentioned before, it seems like only certain types of anime girls ever wear them and I wondered if there was a reason.
kainzero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
"As for why anime characters wear miniskirts in the winter... the Japanese love having sad girls in the snow."

they also do it in real life in japan!
when it's freezing...
they put on the miniskirt and legwarmers! weird.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a girl, but if I were, I can assure you that wearing a miniskirt in winter would make me a pretty sad girl in the snow.

Oh, BTW, if you were wondering how loose socks (ruusu sokkusu in Japanese... I kid you not) stay up, the answer, in some cases, is deceptively simple: glue. Yes. I mean it, I'm not kidding you. Japanese schoolgirls will do nearly anything for fashion, it would seem.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
the answer, in some cases, is deceptively simple: glue. Yes. I mean it, I'm not kidding you. Japanese schoolgirls will do nearly anything for fashion, it would seem.

- abunai

not that surprising, I've known some females to glue thir bras, swimsuits, dresses, and tops on so the wouldn't fall off...

and I love leg warmers, though i generally just wear them around the house when i'm cold...
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:

Wait a minute...You all are misunderstanding my reference to legwarmers!! I'm not talking about the loose socks the schoolgirls are sporting, I'm talking abuot the full-length, above-the-knee tights or whatever they are!!

You mean like the brown stockings Yomi wears in Azumanga Daioh? And the white stockings the girls wear in Tokyo Mew Mew?
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:

Wait a minute...You all are misunderstanding my reference to legwarmers!! I'm not talking about the loose socks the schoolgirls are sporting, I'm talking abuot the full-length, above-the-knee tights or whatever they are!! As I mentioned before, it seems like only certain types of anime girls ever wear them and I wondered if there was a reason.

Are you talking about those stockings that Miliaria & Fllay wear in Gundam SEED, and that Lunamaria wears in SEED-Destiny?

I know almost zilch about fashion, especially the fashions of the opposite sex, so I'm asking out of sheer ignorance here.
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if you guys realize this but, Japan has been stuck in the "80's" For a while. Most of the pop music that comes from Japan is "80's" orientated (overflowing with “ripping” guitar solo’s and muted guitars) and on top of that alot the the bands have sort of a “neo 80's” look. Now legwarmers are coming back, what’s next? Those ugly tight Jordacie Jeans, I certainly hope not. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yes, those are the stockings I'm referring to (much better term, btw).

I still think there's some kind of cultural reference here we aren't getting... why some anime girls wear them and others don't seems to reflect certain character types.
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:

I still think there's some kind of cultural reference here we aren't getting... why some anime girls wear them and others don't seems to reflect certain character types.

I don't think it's some sort of grand scheme that us Americans (or other countries) don't get, I think they just made them wear legwarmer for the simple fact they kind of look cute and futuristic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
Part of the stockings thing has to simply be from a sexy/appealing aspect - almost a subtle fetish thing. Granted - that doesn't mean that the show is a sex/fetish show in any way - I just think there's some aspect of that. Mild, subtle, almost innocent fan service.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Yes, those are the stockings I'm referring to (much better term, btw).

Oh, okay, you're thinking of thigh-high stockings. Those are typically worn by the more mature types, I think. Maybe it reflects a desire on their part to be more conservative and not so as much skin?

The legwarmers I was reffering to were like the ones worn by Aya from Tenjou Tenge.

Loose socks stay up with something called Socks Glue. It's like those roll-on glue sticks you see for kids (with the spongey ball at the tip). It dispenses a layer of glue that lasts pretty much all day. I've found that if you're running low on that, double-stick poster tape works as well. The thigh-highs stay up by themselves because there's a wide band of elastic at the top that sticks to your leg.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2