• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Escaflowne movie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the series and I was wondering what to expect from the movie and if it is the same storyline.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
only the same characters, nothing much else in common. has nothing to do with the series storyline
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The movie was made 4 years after the series finished. I have the Ultimate Edition, and it comes with an extras DVD where I saw an interview with the director, producer, and the three seiyuu for Hitomi (Maayo Sakamoto), Van (Tomokazu Seki), and Allen (Shinichirou Miki).

They all said this was a bit of a challenge, as a lot of the elements and characters had been changed to tell more of an alternate reality, of sorts.

The art and animation are a LOT better, the music is as great as ever, and the (Japanese) voice actors give their usual great performances. However, the story and overall atmosphere are almost completely different from the series. It's much darker and melancholy (and also more violent) and it kind of starts from scratch. None of the relationships carry over and a lot of the characters' roles are different.

PLEASE do not go into seeing this movie expecting it to be a sequel or any kind of continuation. Otherwise, you won't like it, like a few people I know. Wink

It's an excellent movie with a good mix of fantasy, action, and some very subtle romance, in my opinion. Just remember that it's a different world.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
I agree with Tony K. For what it is, it is a great movie in and of itself. The animation is great. That opening scene with Van basically skydiving down onto the airship was stunning. I can't describe how stunning the visuals are.

Story wise, it's a little rushed and you can't really expect anything else because it's confined to how long a movie is. Whereas the series had a full 26 episodes for character development. Anyway, I also find that the Hitomi in the movie is a little too suicidal for my liking. But that's just me complaining about something that really shouldn't matter.

As a lot of people have said, do go in expecting this movie to be a sequal or anything. A lot of people who saw the movie before the series really loved it. Myself, I saw the series first and was disappointed with the movie during the first watching. After watching it again 2 more times, I actually got to love it.
Dragon Of Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:34 am Reply with quote
balla wrote:
I just finished watching the series and I was wondering what to expect from the movie and if it is the same storyline.

the movie was kind of dissapointing - the only thing it had going for it was great animation
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quote
Dragon Of Earth wrote:

the movie was kind of dissapointing - the only thing it had going for it was great animation

You can have whatever opinion you want on the movie, but saying something like that is just way too biased.

Even if you didn't like the movie (I loved it. excellent alternate reality retelling of Escaflowne), you have to admit that there was ALOT that was great about it besides the animation.
Dragon Of Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
Dragon Of Earth wrote:

You can have whatever opinion you want on the movie, but saying something like that is just way too biased.

Even if you didn't like the movie (I loved it. excellent alternate reality retelling of Escaflowne), you have to admit that there was ALOT that was great about it besides the animation.

i will admit it was an ok movie, i was just hoping for more of a continuation of the story
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Problem being that the story doesn't need continuation. When it ended, the plot gaps were filled: spoiler[Van realizes he loves Hitomi, Allan has finally found his sister, Folken has redeemed himself, Isaac/Dornkirk is dead and his plans halted, Zaibach is defeated, and Van now has his kingdom back and is rebuilding it.], so there's nothing much left to tell unless you want to get into the fanservice realm and try and make it so Hitomi and Van can "be together forever." As to the story that got everyone pulled in and engrossed in the story, it had finished.
Dragon Of Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
i was sorta hoping for them to re-build Van's homeland and have some kind of new threat that they had to fight.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Dragon Of Earth wrote:
i was sorta hoping for them to re-build Van's homeland and have some kind of new threat that they had to fight.

If you saw the final episode, they were already rebuilding Fanelia when the series ended. And having a NEW threat would be dull, IMO, mainly because it would probably be too hard to create ANOTHER originally thought-out storyline for Escaflowne that followed well on the coattails of the series and wasn't rehashing the old stuff. Some series just aren't meant to have sequels, and when sequels are tried, they do badly (just look at the OVA sequels to Fushigi Yuugi . . . ughh). I feel Escaflowne is one of those series, and the creators were right to finish it and let it be. Now, an alternate universe Escaflowne series would be interesting . . . maybe, but not a direct sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1