• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yomiuri on Utada's "Exodus"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
A late entry for Most Absurd Statement of 2004:

Quote:
Why did Exodus flop in the United States? Possible reasons include the media's concentration on the U.S. presidential election

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20041223woa2.htm
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
hahahaa. that's great.

one reason it failed is because IDJ did NO promotion. nothing. you can't expect people to buy and album they've heard NOTHING about
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
They also made the mistake of putting music samples on her website, letting consumers nationwide realize that this is one of her worst CDs to date. I wouldn't buy that CD for more than $5.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Darn that media with it polls on what Kerry was eating last night. Razz But, for her first US released CD, it blew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
UberTai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
They also made the mistake of putting music samples on her website, letting consumers nationwide realize that this is one of her worst CDs to date.

Because I'm sure the consumers nationwide flocked to Utada's American website to check out the CD.

I blame Utada's poor American debut on IDJ. They have done absolutely nothing to promote her CD. There were no planned performances for Utada, hardly any interviews (only about 3 in all that I know of), and commercials were non-existant. As Hotaru said, you can't expect people to buy an album they have never heard of before. The only way I found out about it was through a J-pop website I visit, and even then I had troubles finding a place to buy it.

Hopefully when IDJ releases Utada's next single (Exodus 04), it will get a little bit more attention from both the public and IDJ.

Yes, I know Exodus 04 is a poor choice for a single in the year 2005, but atleast all efforts for Utada haven't given up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
blame Utada's poor American debut on IDJ. They have done absolutely nothing to promote her CD. There were no planned performances for Utada, hardly any interviews (only about 3 in all that I know of), and commercials were non-existant. As Hotaru said, you can't expect people to buy an album they have never heard of before. The only way I found out about it was through a J-pop website I visit, and even then I had troubles finding a place to buy it.

Didn't it become obvious when they held the record for a year that they weren't going to do anything with her? They knew it was a stinkbomb, and didn't promote it.

And Island will never release her Japanese discs here, several people tried to tell them what they needed to do to push her, didn't help.
UberTai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Whether the album is good or not does not determine whether or not it should be treated with respect from the people who release it. I listened to Ashlee Simpson's album (don't ask) and thought it was crap, but Geffen Records still gave that record the appropriate amount of advertisements, interviews, performances, etc. Hell, she even got her own television show. And you know what? Ashlee's album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts.

Now try and tell me that the right amount of advertising doesn't help a record sell.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
They also made the mistake of putting music samples on her website, letting consumers nationwide realize that this is one of her worst CDs to date.

Because I'm sure the consumers nationwide flocked to Utada's American website to check out the CD.

Uh, yeah, I was kidding.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whether the album is good or not does not determine whether or not it should be treated with respect from the people who release it. I listened to Ashlee Simpson's album (don't ask) and thought it was crap, but Geffen Records still gave that record the appropriate amount of advertisements, interviews, performances, etc. Hell, she even got her own television show. And you know what? Ashlee's album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts.

Ashlee Simpson is a baad example. She had things that make her much more marketable, aka that her sister is Jessica Simpson. They'll sell any crap as long as it has the right hook. Utada doesn't have any hook outside of radio Disney and the hardcore gaming crowd. Combine that with mediocre music, and there you go.

The best thing is going to be letting her island contract expire and her getting a fresh start on another lable
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1