• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I need help NOW!! [What to Buy]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I just came home from Barnes & Noble without ANY manga in my hand because I was severely deadlocked as to which manga I should choose. I plan on going back in two weeks but I need help in choosing some good manga. Specifically speaking, I'm starting TWO series. These are on my buylist:

Alice 19th
Azumanga Daioh
Ceres Celestial Legends
Fushigi Yugi
Kare Kano
Kodocha
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Only The Ring Finger Knows
Saikano
Tokyo Babylon

[Topic Adjusted -t]
bloodfiend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I would, personally, go for Saikano. It is a deep a beautiful story. I've borrowed the manga, can't buy it yet since I haven't the funds. But it is lovely. <3
AncientDragonValgaav

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
So you can only start two, eh? Kodocha is a very good humor series. Azumanga Daioh's manga is in strip form if I remember correctly, but that nay not annoy you. I personally did like the Nausicaa manga because the pages were too "busy" (crammed with content) for my liking, but that again depends on preference. Kare Kano is a decent choice as well (I have only seen the anime.) I was not impressed with Tokyo Babylon, but if you are a big Clamp fan then you can give it a shot. SaiKano is a very very lovely series. Alice 19th is on my reading list as well, so I cannot comment on it. Ceres is decent as well, and I have never bothered to read Fushigi Yugi because of the mixed (mostly negative) hype it has received. I do not recall Only the Ring Finger Knows off the top of my head. I think it may be shonen-ai, but I don't feel like looking.

In short I would say SaiKano and Kodocha.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, it depends largely on taste, but I will always recommend that everyone who considers themselves a manga fan read Nausicaa. It really is on another level from most manga that's out there. Powerful and moving, I would definitally go for Nausicaa above anything else on this list.
As for the other choice, I guess Kare Kano would be your best pick.
Jackie01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
Cool I just ordered Only the Ring Finger Knows myself. I had that on my wishlist for the long. I just got the money to buy it.
aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Nausicaa, definitely. It's a classic. Everyone must own it. Not an exaggeration!

My very personal second choice would be "Tokyo Babylon", but I think "Kodocha" is a better quality manga than TB. TB is intriguing and original as well, though. Depends on what you feel like, supernatural drama or everyday drama, I guess.

I've read all the titles on your list except "Ring Finger", and, um, I didn't like any other than the three I recommend above. Just my two cents.
pythos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
I would definately have to say Nausicca. Not only is it a classic, but the artwork is great.

It's also only 7 vols. in length, which will allow it to be reread easily and you can move on another manga soon to keep things fresh.
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Stay away from Fushigi Yuugi at all costs it will only frusterate you. That's just my opinion though. Kodocha is very funny and sweet. If you don't mind a little craziness it's wonderful. The main character Sana is a bit odd but for the most part has her heart in the right place. Hayama the boy opposite her is dark and brooding but that isn't who he really is. He actually care deeply for those around him though it irks him to admit that even to himself.

I must agree that Nausicaa is a classic and I very much enjoyed the movie. Miyazaki is wonderful but I would have to agree that it is a bit over crowded. The manga must go into incredible detail to cover the same amount of ground as the movie. I'd reccomend watching the movie first if you can.

Azumanga is a lot like a Japanese equivalent to a newspaper comic. Although the strips manage to cover a bit more ground and bring together something of a plot. I love the anime and seeing how they fit the content of the manga into the show is very interesting. I think it's a very good buy for your money.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I would say...Azumanga Daioh and Kare Kano.

Kare Kano is much longer than Azumanga, I think it goes into 20+volumes, but it is generally well-drawn and humorous (I'm a stickler for humor.) The plot is also original (as far as I know), so you don't have to worry about coming onto another, better series about the same thing.

Azumanga is also humorous, which is precisely why I recommend it. It's very cute, and also about school. It's also extremely short, at four volumes under $10, so you can use that other money and...start one more series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I've read at least one volume of the following series, so my recommendations will (obviously) be exclusive to them:

Alice 19th
Ceres Celestial Legends
Fushigi Yugi
Kare Kano
Kodocha
Only The Ring Finger Knows
Tokyo Babylon

Ceres
and Alice 19th are my two personal favorites, but Only the Ring Finger Knows comes in at a very close third. Fushigi Yuugi and Tokyo Babylon are also good, and I didn't really care for Kodocha and Kare Kano. Bear in mind, though, that I'm just a silly 16 year-old girl, so I prefer shoujo titles...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1