• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there any manga out that is similar to Worst or IWGP

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Is there any manga out that is similar to Worst or IWGP? Those Yankee type manga like in Worst in which the high school kids are drawn like some 22 yakuza.

Something that's 16+, none of those shonen stuff.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tequila

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't read Worst or IWGP, but if you like Yakuza-Stories you should check out Crying Freeman. And maybe to a lesser extent Sanctuary - but I found it to be not that great compared to Crying Freeman but certainly a good read (maybe it wouldn't be that sucky if my translation from the dark ages hadn't crucial panels whited out .. ungh .. Mad )

Maybe even Akira fits the description - most of the main protagonists are lawless bikers Cool That rules
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:04 am Reply with quote
I'd definitely recommend checking out Tokyo Tribes.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:57 am Reply with quote
What about Blue spring by Viz?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:34 am Reply with quote
Based on the movie (and the style of the manga-ka) Blue Spring probobly isn't much like the two titles you mentioned. It's supposidly quite dark and a very thoughtful and complex read, so I doubt there will be tons of action or fast pacing like the two titles you mentioned. Of course I'm sure it's an amazing book (everything by Taiyo Matsumoto has been brilliant), but I wouldn't go into it expecting IWGP because it involves gangs. Still, definitally pick it up when it's released in Januray.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Based on the movie (and the style of the manga-ka) Blue Spring probobly isn't much like the two titles you mentioned. It's supposidly quite dark and a very thoughtful and complex read, so I doubt there will be tons of action or fast pacing like the two titles you mentioned. Of course I'm sure it's an amazing book (everything by Taiyo Matsumoto has been brilliant), but I wouldn't go into it expecting IWGP because it involves gangs. Still, definitally pick it up when it's released in Januray.

You mean the movie is based on the GN right? But I'll definitely check out the movie over the holiday.

One thing why I mention Blue spring is the artwork, It has that yankii type artwork like in worst (kind of)

Release date: 12/29/04 (can't wait)
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure which of Matsumoto's styles Blue Spring will use. I'm leaning towards his style of No.5 rather than Black and White or Hanaotoko, as that looks a bit darker and more serious. I wonder if it will have the surreal, wacky qualities of his other works though.
And here's the movie.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309291/ Pretty interesting little flick.
Onv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I just picked up Blue Spring volume 1. I got it becase it's from Taiyou Matsumoto and I like his work. Tokyo Tribes is very good it has to do with gangs, prostitution, the streets and Japanese urban hip hop lifestyle. It's rea;;y good everyone should give it a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1