• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Missing episodes in anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ TAYLER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
During the first thirty or so years a lot of television programmes were 'junked' to make space in the archives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping

Mostly this occurred in the UK and USA. In some cases said programmes were also deleted as a cost cutting measure. This happened in Australia a lot during the late 70s. I was wondering if this also has happened to any of the Anime series of the 50s-80s as well?

If so is there an interest in the recovery of these lost gems as happens in the UK and USA?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
There was a thread last year about Kikou Marco Polo no Boken, which is believed to have had its tapes recycled. You can also read Rightstuf's article on their company history, which started off with them hunting down Astro Boy copies since the masters were destroyed.

I think there's always a cultural interest in finding any lost recordings, but it's tempered with the simple fact that, unless someone's willing to put money behind it, there's not going to be too much effort put into tracking down anything specific. (Youtube can actually be a great resource in this case, since it provides people a free and easy way to share their rare stuff.)
RJ TAYLER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your prompt response. It was a real 'eye opener' to find out that the problem is not confined to North America, Australia and Europe. A very fortunate find was that Astro Boy, if that had been lost it would truly be incalculable to all Anime Historians everywhere.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember hearing that many of the non-American-released episodes of Astro-Boy not existing in any known form anymore, unless they're buried in the unknown archives of some Japanese broadcast affiliate; I'm sure other shows from that era, like Gigantor, are in the same boat.
Zepzep7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
wow, thanks for the link, great stuff Twisted Evil
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
There is an episode of Pokemon that was pulled and banned after one airing. Episode 38 season 1 of Pokemon was aired in Japan on December 16, 1997. But it was never seen again because the visuals in this episode had a risk of causing seizures. 685 people were hospitalized after viewing this episode. Because of this incident the episode has never been aired again.

If you want to know more about this I have a link to the Wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennō_Senshi_Porygon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

I think there's always a cultural interest in finding any lost recordings, but it's tempered with the simple fact that, unless someone's willing to put money behind it, there's not going to be too much effort put into tracking down anything specific.

For instance, there's been a global worldwide manhunt for lost episodes of Doctor Who and The Avengers, but not so much for other British shows of the same period.

[quote='Top Gun']I seem to remember hearing that many of the non-American-released episodes of Astro-Boy not existing in any known form anymore, unless they're buried in the unknown archives of some Japanese broadcast affiliate[/quote]

Not even there, actually. If anyone WOULD have had them, it would have been NBC. TezukaPro actually shipped the masters themselves over to NBC when Fred Ladd translated the show in '63. However, by the time broadcast had ended, TezukaPro was having financial difficulties and couldn't take back the masters, so they told NBC to do whatever they wanted with them. After a time, the masters were destroyed in accordance with the prevailing policy at NBC at the time.

Some secondary masters/copies were found in some Japanese archives and private collections, allowing at least a few of the episodes to be recovered.
S.Canton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, that's really quite interesting. It's amazing how much content was scrapped; such a waste.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
There was also another Pokemon episode that didn't get a chance to air in Japan. I think it was an earthquake than an episode later that week was having a situation with earthquakes, so that got pulled. Wish they would show that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1