• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Possible redos for shounen anime, a la Dragon Ball Kai?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rzerox21xx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I discussed this with Kenshin and snice Naruto and Bleach are much popular and is plague with fillers that it can ruin the experience of watching the anime. You think in the future, perhaps in a decade or so when the both mangas have ended, Studio Perriot will try to do what Toei is doing with Dragonball and Re air it in HD and redo scenes and cut out fillers and make it better. It would make fans happy espeically the cut out of fillers and redoing of scenes with better animation if there is such a need.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
I don't think so. Dragonball is legendary, Naruto is just popular.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
The only one I see this happening to in the future...and I mean way in the future (Dragonball is getting this over a decade later, after all)...is One Piece.

Kenshin still has a decent fanbase, I'm sure, but nothing like Dragonball, which pretty much defined the genre as we know it today...and still brings in a crapload of money.
When they've been over and done with for a few years, I imagine Bleach and Naruto will be about as popular as Kenshin is now, if not slightly more. But One Piece for sure will probably be as loved as Dragonball (well, maybe not in the US, but Japan definitely).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
I don't see how fillers plaque the experience. The Bleach fillers have been mostly stand-alone, save for throwing a few filler characters into comedic canon moments. The Naruto 80-episode fillerthon was mostly filler, and the few canon parts where either already obvious by the end of 135 (Naruto leaving with Jiraiya) or explained soon into Shippuden (Sakura training with Tsunade). So the 80 fillerthon can easily be skipped, and you wouldn't even notice it was there. Now, the Shippuden filler has mixed in quite a bit of canon, but the first filler arc was mostly well-received, though the second one apparently has more mixed reactions (I've yet to watch the 2nd myself). And filler moments actually improved the Sasuke Retrieval arc and Hidan/Kakuza arc. The only arc that has had really poor pacing so far is the Sasuke/Sai arc, all the others one have been acceptable pacing so far.

Bleach, on the other hand, suffers not from filler but low production qualities after the Bount arc, not to mention constantly getting close to the manga. This is Kubo's fault, who puts so little content in his chapters that one could animate 8-10 chapters an episode generally without the pacing seeming insanely fast (compared to Kishimoto, who one can animate 1.5-2 chapters an episode with good pacing, or Oda, who one can practically animate only 1 chapter an episode with good pacing). At this point, Bleach might have no choice but to do an 80-fillerthon just to prevent it from ending early like Inuyasha. So I'd say down the road, if an anime were to need a remake, it would be Bleach, but the Naruto adaptation has been mostly good for the most part.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
One Piece, in particular, is just about the last example I'd think of for a show that deserves a remake, as it's handled the issue far better than any shounen title I've ever seen. The total amount of filler episodes over the course of the entire series is almost miniscule, and those that do appear tend to do so in few-episode spurts sandwiched between canon material. The fact that it's never had to resort to some sort of horrific 80-episode period of stand-alone stories speaks to the fact that its creators actually know what they're doing with Oda's original material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1